Tim Banks comments on defensive performance vs UF (2022)

A Typical Vol Fan

Some quotes from Tim Banks at the Knoxville Quarterback Club:

“The stats don’t always tell the story… Being able to make the plays that we needed to make to give us a chance to be successful, that’s what we’re always looking for.”

“The only thing I’m concerned about is, ‘Did we win or did we lose?’… Winning plays give us a chance to be successful.”

“When we break down the tape, there are some things we would liked to have done betters… But to sit here and say it was the D-line or say it was the DBs, it’s always a combination. I think we’ve played some good defense for most of the season.”

Despite mistakes, Tim Banks proud of Vols' late-game grit in Florida win

Some quotes from Tim Banks at the Knoxville Quarterback Club:

“The stats don’t always tell the story… Being able to make the plays that we needed to make to give us a chance to be successful, that’s what we’re always looking for.”

“The only thing I’m concerned about is, ‘Did we win or did we lose?’… Winning plays give us a chance to be successful.”

“When we break down the tape, there are some things we would liked to have done betters… But to sit here and say it was the D-line or say it was the DBs, it’s always a combination. I think we’ve played some good defense for most of the season.”

Despite mistakes, Tim Banks proud of Vols' late-game grit in Florida win

I won’t pretend to know what the strategy is that the coaching staff puts in place, but I have a hard time believing they came into this say “if we can hold them under 500 yards passing we win”.

I don't really want to be negative here but....

That secondary play was atrocious and it needs to get better fast or we are going to make a lot of QBs look good this year. I really hope what he is saying is coach speak and taking up for our guys, not the lack of realization that the offense had to be near perfect to carry that terrible performance.

Yes we won and that’s the most important thing. Stats don’t tell the story??? Yes they absolutely do. The stats tell us that our defense is bad. Banks benefits from one of college footballs best offenses. The offense can usually offset the bad defense. But against really good teams, that won’t work.

I am not sold on Banks at all. I really hope he massively improves and quickly.

this sounds strangely like something bUTch would have said.
I can see that, from one perspective.

But from another perspective, the man merely said, in a politer and less direct way, "I don't give a good hot damn about the stats. I care about winning."

If the offense needs the defense to be world class in order to win, that just means the offense is a weakness. If the offense is world-class, as ours is, it only requires the defense to be good enough to keep the other team's final score lower than ours.

Don't get me wrong. I'm with you and everyone else here on wanting our defense to get much, much better at pass defense. But they're better overall now than they were last year. And they'll be better at the end of the year than they are now. And even better next season.

It's a process, returning to championship football. It doesn't necessarily happen fast. Just because it IS happening fast for the offense, that doesn't mean our defense isn't on schedule for what Josh Heupel wants and expects.

Let's let them coach. Josh seems to trust and appreciate Tim. And we trust Josh, right?

Have faith.

Go Vols!

I've noticed Tim Banks seems to have been on a very short leash with VN posters since day one. Is there a backstory with Banks and UT Vols, or something? I completely understand wanting better performance but I feel like he's been on the outs even before the first snap last year.

What gives?

I won’t pretend to know what the strategy is that the coaching staff puts in place, but I have a hard time believing they came into this say “if we can hold them under 500 yards passing we win”.

They probably need to have meetings and talk about the dos and donts of what to say and not say.

Reactions: BLUTickbusdriver
I've noticed Tim Banks seems to have been on a very short leash with VN posters since day one. Is there a backstory with Banks and UT Vols, or something? I completely understand wanting better performance but I feel like he's been on the outs even before the first snap last year.

What gives?
I hope Banks succeeds here. I just know there will be a time when the offense will need some help from the defense. And I look at what Kentucky's defense and even South Florida's defense did and wonder why we didn't at least learn some tricks from them.

What gives?

It's part of BVS and most were concerned because he wasn't a proven big named defensive coordinator. I think he had previously been a DC years ago at a small school, but spent most of his time as a position coach. So lack of experience on the résumé was the issue....

Reactions: 08Vol and McDad
It's part of BVS and most were concerned because he wasn't a proven big named defensive coordinator. I think he had previously been a DC years ago at a small school, but spent most of his time as a position coach. So lack of experience on the résumé was the issue....
He's been a defensive coordinator for 15 years now, including five at Penn State just before he arrived in Knoxville.

So nope, he didn't spend most of his time as a position coach, and his resume doesn't explain it at all, friend.

I think you were much closer to the mark with BVS. But even that isn't precisely right. It's more like, a part of our fan base have become brittle and almost child-like in their demands for immediate gratification. That's not all of it either, but I think it's closer.

What gives?

I think the problem is that the offense seems to do their job, for the most part…without an abundance of top shelf talent.

Defense doesn’t look as well coached, imo. Ball State and Akron passed at will on us. UF exploited it even more. Lucky to not be 2-2..

This team is short of talent on the back end of the defense. Not much to be done to fix that except through recruiting. Saturday won't be the only huge passing day a team has on the Vols this season.

However, I would like to see a little more aggressive play calling and taking some more chances with blitzing. Turn some more of those QB pressures into sacks and potentially mask some of the problems in the secondary.

If they are going to get beat regardless, may as well be from a big play and get the ball back to the offense quicker.

He's been a defensive coordinator for 15 years now, including five at Penn State just before he arrived in Knoxville.

So nope, he didn't spend most of his time as a position coach, and his resume doesn't explain it at all, friend.

I think you were much closer to the mark with BVS. But even that isn't precisely right. It's more like, a part of our fan base have become brittle and almost child-like in their demands for immediate gratification. That's not all of it either, but I think it's closer.

He has not been a DC for 15 years now. That's just not true. He has been a DC before, but a Co-Coordinator does not mean Coordinator. It means you are a very big helper to that position and a glorified position coach. We can look it up, but I bet you will see positions coached listed by his roles through the years.

I checked PSU's defensive stats the 5 years Tim served as DC. Team defense improved every year (or every year but one) under him

ETA: Banks wasn't the sole defensive coordinator at PSU. He was at 2 other schools. I don't remember what I researched last year.

Last edited:
Tim wasn't gonna let AR beat us with his legs and he didn't think AR could beat us with his arm. Hell I didn't either. Turns out he could but I understand Tim's thinking.. AR played to his ceiling Sat. Best performance he will probably ever have imo.

Last edited:
He has not been a DC for 15 years now. That's just not true. He has been a DC before, but a Co-Coordinator does not mean Coordinator. It means you are a very big helper to that position and a glorified position coach. We can look it up, but I bet you will see positions coached listed by his roles through the years.
Are you trying to say that Alex Golesh isn't really an offensive coordinator because he has /TE after the OC? Come on, that's just silly. Coordinators often also coach a position group.

As for Co-DC, that can mean many things. It can mean that he's really the main dude, and the other guy is an understudy. It can mean the opposite. Or it can mean anything in between.

I certainly don't know Penn State's situation from 2016 through 2020 well enough to explain how much in the lead role Tim Banks was. Can you? Do you have sources?

VN Store

Back