TIL: if you have internet with your home phone provider

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Today I learned that if you have internet with your home phone provider, don’t port out your home number or it cancels your entire account. So here I sit, with the Braves on at 4:30 and the Tennessee game this weekend, without internet, possibly until next week.

People still have home phones?
I haven’t really used it for years. I had it forwarded to a mobile line because I still get occasional calls there. Hence the port out. But yeah, it’s pretty pointless these days. Lol.

I have no idea. What do those kits consist of?
I looked it up. Problem is my house isn’t wired for cable. I removed all that when I switched to fiber. It’s all network cable now.

I haven’t really used it for years. I had it forwarded to a mobile line because I still get occasional calls there. Hence the port out. But yeah, it’s pretty pointless these days. Lol.
Sorry for your luck man, only thing I can think of is using your mobile hotspot.

But I think they do that to protect you from scammers porting out your phone to steal info from you

I have no idea. What do those kits consist of?
Mine consisted mainly of cursing when I tried to hook up my mother's cable. Charter Guy came out to her assisted living apartment and said that they (Charter) had failed to flip a switch somewhere (multi-unit building.)

People still have home phones?

The only people I know that still have them are my parents and my in laws. And neither really use them anymore. The last time as I was at my in laws they got 5 calls, all telemarketers. And then I checked their caller ID and going back about 3 months they haven't gotten 1 actual call from a real person they've talked to.

Today I learned that if you have internet with your home phone provider, don’t port out your home number or it cancels your entire account. So here I sit, with the Braves on at 4:30 and the Tennessee game this weekend, without internet, possibly until next week.
Who is your provider? Surely, your Internet access can be restored before 7pm Saturday?

Ok, those who say they have a landline because it came bundled with their cable: are you talking about an Internet phone service that is your “house phone”? If your cable or internet goes out, does your phone still work?

My mother had an honest-to-gosh AT&T landline, with a separate line to the house, that plugged into a phone jack in the wall. It cost a fortune, like $40/month, but she kept it, because when Comcrap went out as it did every 2-3 weeks, her phone always worked. Even during power failures.

That’s different from cable/internet/phone triple play or whatever your provider calls it.

May I interest you in something we like to call, "The Official Game Day Thread". It is better than watching it on TV. It's better than listening to it on the radio. Just be careful if you post. The guy who created this site has a bunch of rules and guidelines. I think he is on a power trip or something.

You're welcome.

May I interest you in something we like to call, "The Official Game Day Thread". It is better than watching it on TV. It's better than listening to it on the radio. Just be careful if you post. The guy who created this site has a bunch of rules and guidelines. I think he is on a power trip or something.

You're welcome.
Psshh. I can’t even curse in there. Forget it.

Reactions: McDad and VolNExile
Ok, those who say they have a landline because it came bundled with their cable: are you talking about an Internet phone service that is your “house phone”? If your cable or internet goes out, does your phone still work?

My mother had an honest-to-gosh AT&T landline, with a separate line to the house, that plugged into a phone jack in the wall. It cost a fortune, like $40/month, but she kept it, because when Comcrap went out as it did every 2-3 weeks, her phone always worked. Even during power failures.

That’s different from cable/internet/phone triple play or whatever your provider calls it.
Mine was a traditional landline. I’ve had the phone for years and years. My phone provider started offering fiber optic about five years ago and so I started using them for internet.

Reactions: VolNExile
While that sounds frustrating, the net effect will probably be an improvement for your blood pressure.

For some reason, we have a land line as a backup for our security system. But, I think it is free with the TDS fiber optic. Our bill shows a $9 credit for having it.

At any rate, it's not a bad idea as a backup for emergency purposes. Just turn off the ringer.

Reactions: VolNExile

VN Store

Back