Tidbit on 1st scrimmage {video clips inside)

Maybe it just takes time for some guys. It amazes that so many so easily write off a redshirt junior QB before the season even starts.

I don't think he'll ever be great but I think he'll be serviceable. That said, I also don't deny the possibility for growth.

Absolutely. There are a lot of different things that factor into the equation. Some guys walk into talented rosters with well established OCs who's base systems don't change a ton and the transition is smoother. Some times the OC's change and the rosters are still really good and vice versa. What we do know is that JG has played in 2 very different systems since he has been here and the roster in some very important areas have not been very good.

Chaney has a track record in this league and with QBs in general and the roster is better. He should show the appropriate progression given that. I haven't seen anything that tells me he is great or will be, but he still has a chance to be good and win games here. Its not like there is an obvious answer behind him.

Reactions: WebbCobb
Why? Does it look like JG was learning? Were we seeing him make the same mistakes time after time (not getting rid of the damn ball)? Yes. 100%.

At the very least you’d expect some learning so he didn’t get killed. Didn’t happen.
Not really true.
He took a sack every 5.34 times he attempted a pass in 2017

And every 11.18 times in 2018

No way suggesting to be happy about 11.18 but that's still a huge jump in the right direction. So, he was indeed learning.

Absolutely. There are a lot of different things that factor into the equation. Some guys walk into talented rosters with well established OCs who's base systems don't change a ton and the transition is smoother. Some times the OC's change and the rosters are still really good and vice versa. What we do know is that JG has played in 2 very different systems since he has been here and the roster in some very important areas have not been very good.

Chaney has a track record in this league and with QBs in general and the roster is better. He should show the appropriate progression given that. I haven't seen anything that tells me he is great or will be, but he still has a chance to be good and win games here. Its not like there is an obvious answer behind him.

I hope Chaney gets it rolling. I feel like he came here to stay for awhile.

Why? Does it look like JG was learning? Were we seeing him make the same mistakes time after time (not getting rid of the damn ball)? Yes. 100%.

At the very least you’d expect some learning so he didn’t get killed. Didn’t happen.
Another ridiculous take. You must be bad at math.

Your in the minority. Multiple analysts and people who cover Tennessee football have said multiple times the offensive line was the biggest position that was holding back the offense last season. Has he held onto the ball to long at times? Sure every QB has but the O-line is 90 percent to blame for the woeful year we had last year

is LV more annoying than Tony Bologna or not?

different levels of annoyance, most assuredly, yet LV comes across as seemingly an overly confident, un-enlightened annoying.

just saying

I'll admit I eat a lot of popcorn to his qb posts while lurking in the recruiting threads

so I was looking for a scrimmage post /thread..from fingers..was he also sentenced to silence on this?

Not really true.
He took a sack every 5.34 times he attempted a pass in 2017

And every 11.18 times in 2018

No way suggesting to be happy about 11.18 but that's still a huge jump in the right direction. So, he was indeed learning.

Empirical evidence or data is difficult to ignore unless you have an ax to grind.

Reactions: Sleegro

Do yourself a favor and go to the nearest library and check at a book on 101 football. Start with learning about how football is played with 11 players. Baby steps to start with then move on to snapping the ball. There's 4 or 5 more books before you get into the Quarterbacks.

He seems to get through holes where there are no holes.

That's exactly what I thought watching his highlights. He does a good job turning the corner on people and in open space , but we've had a lot of runners like that in recent years. What makes Gray look better to me, is he is always moving forward and he's not dancing. He's slicing straight through .

Incase y'all didn't know here's Eric gray

I like how he scores every time he carries the ball!

Seriously though, how does his speed compare the Chandler? Looks fast in the HS highlights, but you never know how slow the other guys are.

Your in the minority. Multiple analysts and people who cover Tennessee football have said multiple times the offensive line was the biggest position that was holding back the offense last season. Has he held onto the ball to long at times? Sure every QB has but the O-line is 90 percent to blame for the woeful year we had last year

Not really, even when he has time, he doesn’t make the best decisions, and he struggles with many of the mental aspects of the game. In my opinion, JG is very talented, he can make all the throws to compete in the SEC.

However, he really struggled last season with getting the protections called, making quick decisions, and he’s extremely slow to respond to what the defense is doing. When he’s pressured by the defense and sugar turns to sh1t, he often responds poorly.

Unfortunately, his inability to completely control the offense and make the defense react to what he is doing is a problem for UT.

The Vols will go as far as JG takes them this season and hopefully Chaney can make enough changes to make this offense productive. Otherwise, 6 wins could be the ceiling for a team that is inexperienced on both lines, and has a QB that can’t make plays.

is LV more annoying than Tony Bologna or not?

different levels of annoyance, most assuredly, yet LV comes across as seemingly an overly confident, un-enlightened annoying.

just saying
LV thinks he has a d4h level eye test. Would love to see a thread of just LV a d4h battling it out in a Thunder Dome of evals.

so I was looking for a scrimmage post /thread..from fingers..was he also sentenced to silence on this?
He gets all the info from various articles and compiles it in one place here for us. It's great work on his part and very appreciated, but if the media aren't allowed to watch and there are no articles written, he has nothing to compile.

VN Store

Back