Tidbit on 1st scrimmage {video clips inside)

Dobbs became an All-time great Vol in that system...
So would Manning or Clausen, and definitely Heath Shuler
No. Dobbs became a great performer in spite of that system. Manning and Clausen would have both failed due to their stone feet.

The modern spread multiple O would have been ideal for Heath Shuler. But both he and Dobbs would have done better in someone else's version. Jones' philosophy on the OL was an utter failure from the first day.

Dobbs became an All-time great Vol in that system...
So would Manning or Clausen, and definitely Heath Shuler
Not it's not.

This dude was a Top 100 player 4 years ago, and what has he done???

It is what it is. The dude is not a good QB.

And someone else will get a chance this season because JG will do what JG does; stall the offense out and kill team momentum.

So pumped for Greg Emerson. Was a top 40 overall player the summer before his senior year then he got injured at an all star camp. This will be his first season playing since then. I hope he can show out this year and be that next man up in place of Gooden. A lot of ifs on the d line, but a LOT of potential

No. Dobbs became a great performer in spite of that system. Manning and Clausen would have both failed due to their stone feet.

The modern spread multiple O would have been ideal for Heath Shuler. But both he and Dobbs would have done better in someone else's version. Jones' philosophy on the OL was an utter failure from the first day.
This đź’Ż

Not it's not.

This dude was a Top 100 player 4 years ago, and what has he done???

It is what it is. The dude is not a good QB.

And someone else will get a chance this season because JG will do what JG does; stall the offense out and kill team momentum.
Seriously it's obvious you don't want JG to succeed and will point anything negative to help build your arguement. And you know what actually kills momentum? Turnovers and Pruitt has already stated both Shrout and Mauer need to stop throwing the ball to the other team.

Lulz. This is good stuff right here.
I guess it was missed that the same "real coaching" Ainge got in 06' and 07' as a JR and SR was the same "real coaching" Crompton got as a FR and SO before his abysmal JR season. They were 2 different players that responded differently to the same coach.

The idea that JG isn't coachable after 1 year where everyone on the team transitioned to a new system is silly. He's not Dobbs (and may never be) but the talent around him hasn't been on the same level either and most of that upperclassmen talent was recruited by the previous system.

That previous "system" needed Dobbs more than Dobbs needed it to be successful.

I guess it was missed that the same "real coaching" Ainge got in 06' and 07' as a JR and SR was the same "real coaching" Crompton got as a FR and SO before his abysmal JR season. They were 2 different players that responded differently to the same coach.

The idea that JG isn't coachable after 1 year where everyone on the team transitioned to a new system is silly. He's not Dobbs (and may never be) but the talent around him hasn't been on the same level either and most of that upperclassmen talent was recruited by the previous system.

I quoted that instead of putting it in bold because it's at the bottom and you wouldn't have seen it.

Sjt read my mind, Dobbs was great in spite of the system.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but it amazes me how some have just written JG off. I mean I can totally understand alot of the criticism and skepticism, but some of this is just comical. "Good stuff".

I quoted that instead of putting it in bold because it's at the bottom and you wouldn't have seen it.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but it amazes me how some have just written JG off. I mean I can totally understand alot of the criticism and skepticism, but some of this is just comical. "Good stuff".
The man got Peterman drafted after whatever that was we saw here.
I'm good with waiting on results.

Seriously it's obvious you don't want JG to succeed and will point anything negative to help build your arguement. And you know what actually kills momentum? Turnovers and Pruitt has already stated both Shrout and Mauer need to stop throwing the ball to the other team.
Don't be guilty of rooting against Vols to defend another Vol.

I want all of them to be good.

Reactions: Bret178 and 1vol8
Crompton didn't actually play under Cut. He started once Clawson took over.

I've actually defended Clawson. He's gone on to have a decent career. But the chemistry between him and Fulmer was toxic. Crompton was hardly the only problem that year.

The man got Peterman drafted after whatever that was we saw here.
I'm good with waiting on results.

Pfft, of course. It's mind numbing to me, but I'm not an expert either.

It would be a whole different story if we had someone proven in competition with JG, but lol, seriously?

Well, like I said, I don't care who starts, plays backup, takes over etc, just hope whoever touches the football wins. I don't care if it's Jennings.

*No I don't think Jennings is going to play QB, just hyperbole.

“Believe”? No. But there is reason to “hope.”

Brady Quinn was a highly rated QB recruit who sucked until Charlie Weis fixed him.
Carson Palmer was a highly rated QB recruit who sucked until Norm Chow fixed him.
Jon Crompton was a highly rated QB recruit who sucked until Kiffin/Chaney fixed him.
Erik Ainge was a highly rated QB recruit who sucked until Cutcliffe fixed him.

QB is such a mental position, which means coaching at that position can affect it more than any other. JG has all the physical tools. We’ve seen QB gurus fix broken, but talented QBs before. There is plenty of reason to hope that Chaney can do it with JG.

JG is not the problem, he should be one of the best QB’s in the SEC this year, especially given a decent Oline and Jim Chaney’s play calling
The offense has the possibility to be pretty exciting, forgoing key injuries

Crompton didn't actually play under Cut. He started once Clawson took over.

I've actually defended Clawson. He's gone on to have a decent career. But the chemistry between him and Fulmer was toxic. Crompton was hardly the only problem that year.

Correct. But he was in Cut's "system" for 2 of his first 3 years as a college QB. He was receiving "real coaching" (not my words) from one of the best.

It was destined to fail when the hire was made. Clawson's O needed 2 years and Fulmer didn't have that guaranteed unless the first one wasn't a complete dumpster fire like it was. Clawson's career tells me it wasn't all him, but Crompton apparently struggled getting it under Cut and then under Clawson but found it under Kiffin and Chaney. Sometimes thats the way it works.

They got to stop shuffling the O-line around pick your starting 5 so they can gel and learn how to work together. They running out of time the o-line is a unit that has to be on the same page or they will be chasing d-line during stunts.

Got to have 10 or 11 to rotate in practice and in a game....... a 2 Deep is not optional in the SEC

Reactions: HalfullVol

I don't think there's anything wrong with being skeptical to a point or have questions about how good he really is. I know the position is difficult to play even with all the right tools around you and he hasn't had that yet.

Writing him off based off the facts to date is silly.

I don't think there's anything wrong with being skeptical to a point or have questions about how good he really is. I know the position is difficult to play even with all the right tools around you and he hasn't had that yet.

Writing him off based off the facts to date is silly.

Such a good point that that gets overlooked too often. Everyone better be hoping with everything they have that JG has improved and succeeds.

Correct. But he was in Cut's "system" for 2 of his first 3 years as a college QB. He was receiving "real coaching" (not my words) from one of the best.

It was destined to fail when the hire was made. Clawson's O needed 2 years and Fulmer didn't have that guaranteed unless the first one wasn't a complete dumpster fire like it was. Clawson's career tells me it wasn't all him, but Crompton apparently struggled getting it under Cut and then under Clawson but found it under Kiffin and Chaney. Sometimes thats the way it works.

Maybe it just takes time for some guys. It amazes that so many so easily write off a redshirt junior QB before the season even starts.

I don't think he'll ever be great but I think he'll be serviceable. That said, I also don't deny the possibility for growth.

Those guys were coachable...
They were also products of failed systems before the real coaching came.

JG is not coachable imo...

is LV more annoying than Tony Bologna or not?

different levels of annoyance, most assuredly, yet LV comes across as seemingly an overly confident, un-enlightened annoying.

just saying

Reactions: barrylee

VN Store

Back