Thursday Practice

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
From UT Sports:

Day 4: Vols Working Through Injuries; Revill Leaves Squad

KNOXVILLE (March 25) -- Tennessee turned to an instructional afternoon of football Thursday as spring workouts continued at Haslam Field. The Vols refrained from full contact while fine-tuning what they’ve learned thus far in four days of practice.

“It wasn’t our best day,” head coach Phillip Fulmer said. “We kind of hit a mental wall on some things we were trying to insert. But I still remain pleased with the way the guys have gone about their business.

“Today was a ‘teach day’ and according to the rules you can’t take people to the ground (on those days). But you can still have a good, physical practice and I think the kids tried to do that.”

Fulmer is working without a full complement of players as a number of Vols have been banged and bruised during the first few days.

Head athletic trainer Keith Clements reported that senior Corey Larkins suffered an ankle sprain Tuesday and will be evaluated week-to-week. Offensive lineman Arron Sears has ankle and toe sprains, while defensive tackle Matt McGlothlin went down with a foot strain. Both of those players also will be evaluated week-to-week.

Receiver Robert Meachem (hamstring) is being reevaluated at the start of next week, while Bret Smith (toe) is expected to progress into workouts after the weekend. LaRon Harris suffered a knee sprain and hopes to return in two weeks.

These recent mishaps are on top of three Vols -- Jake Finlayson (mononucleosis), Chuck Prugh (illness) and Marvin Mitchell (knee rehabilitation from surgery) -- who are missing all of spring practice with various ailments.

Fulmer also announced that William Revill, who would have been entering his junior season, has decided to leave the Tennessee football team effective immediately. The fullback from Albany, Ga., scored a touchdown last season on his first career carry -- a 13-yarder against Mississippi State.

“He just felt like he wanted to move on with something else, and that’s his prerogative,” Fulmer said. “I wish him well.” Fulmer added that Revill, a religious studies major, is in good academic standing and plans to stay in school.

VN Store

Back