Three Things: UT Crowd Roar, Fitz & End Game Hugs for JG

vegasvolfan

Marketing Professional With 25 Years of Experience
Crowd Roar:

I know a lot has already been posted on the defensive stand within the 5, but I was watching it for at least the tenth time analyzing the play in when I realized:

Blakely really had that tackle with or without Bituli (not to take away from him and his 19 tackle game),

Warrior definitely helped seal that deal by sticking to his assignment when he may have been able to make the tackle.

How awesome it was to hear that crowd erupt with our traveling Vols when we made that stop. I am going to go watch that play again just to hear it after this post!(11:32 and 11:44).

Fitz:

Maryland is getting destroyed. Could Fitz have made much of a difference? Probably some, but I sure hope he is happy he decided to stay at Tennessee. I am certainly happy he did, because it is clear we have an advantage when it comes to stamina. I felt that I was beginning to see that throughout the last few games and that it may prove to be a difference maker in the KY game and it did.

JG Gets Hugs from His Team: (13:23)

This one was different. This clip doesn’t show the entire moment, but these guys clinched for a while. You could tell there was a conversation going on and to see JG get this... especially after our team, coaches and fans got the win... on TV... that was special to watch. I think most of us had given up on him and I am sure am still a little weary, but how can anyone hope this moment away from him. It was moving to see to say the least.

Last edited:
I don’t think we’ve given Jaquain Blakely enough credit for the play he made. I’ll be honest, I almost forgot he was on the team, but he stepped up and made his presence felt in a big moment. He honestly was in on the tackle more so than Bituli was.

Did you know TN defense was on the field for 41 minutes in this game? Here is another stat for you the defense was on the field almost 13 minutes of the 4th quarter. It is just incredible that these players (especially Butili) who were on the field basically the whole game had any gas left in the tank. Man they better give the S&C program a raise this off season.

Watching all that it just reminded me the question I had Saturday night "where has this skill that JG has the ability to run been for the last 4 years?" It never made sense for him to be the number 1 dual threat QB coming in but, he played like he didn't want to. I would imagine if he adds that to be a legit threat, his whole "game" gets much easier and a lot better.

Did you know TN defense was on the field for 41 minutes in this game? Here is another stat for you the defense was on the field almost 13 minutes of the 4th quarter. It is just incredible that these players (especially Butili) who were on the field basically the whole game had any gas left in the tank. Man they better give the S&C program a raise this off season.

I did know the first stat but not the second! Part of that is because we couldn’t establish a run game. Agree with the S&C bit!

Reactions: VolBricks
Watching all that it just reminded me the question I had Saturday night "where has this skill that JG has the ability to run been for the last 4 years?" It never made sense for him to be the number 1 dual threat QB coming in but, he played like he didn't want to. I would imagine if he adds that to be a legit threat, his whole "game" gets much easier and a lot better.
I honestly have never seen him with as much time to make decisions as he did during the 3rd quarter. Part of the decision making process is whether or not to run the ball and that is usually after you have time to check down and realize everyone is covered and yet there is a hole. Of course this excludes designed run plays which I think some of them may have been. Definitely the last play that sealed the game.

Reactions: basspond
Fluke

I don’t think we’ve given Jaquain Blakely enough credit for the play he made. I’ll be honest, I almost forgot he was on the team, but he stepped up and made his presence felt in a big moment. He honestly was in on the tackle more so than Bituli was.

Jaquain made a great play no doubt but he was moving parallel to the LOS and the QB's forward momentum might have been enough to drag Jaquain into the end zone but Bituli met the QB almost head on a completely stopped his forward momentum. This was a great great combined tackle IMO.

Reactions: BreatheUT

This is so very true. The old Vol defense would have had heart attacks and collapsed after that first quarter. They hitched it up and drove on through a punishing UK ground attack. No way we come from behind without their heart and the halftime adjustments to shut them down in the second half. Well done!

UT faced 71 defensive snaps vs KY. The Vols faced 81 snaps against South Carolina and Tennessee had the ball for 34 minutes in that game. Tennessee averages 67.1 defensive snaps per game this season. Saturday, it faced four more than the average.

Most of the time they were waiting on KY to snap the ball and make the game shorter. TOP was not a relevant stat for this game.

UT faced 71 defensive snaps vs KY. The Vols faced 81 snaps against South Carolina and Tennessee had the ball for 34 minutes in that game. Tennessee averages 67.1 defensive snaps per game this season. Saturday, it faced four more than the average.

Most of the time they were waiting on KY to snap the ball and make the game shorter. TOP was not a relevant stat for this game.

I think a relevant stat is how those def snaps were clustered, or how many in a row. I'd rather have 81 snaps somewhat spread out over a game, rather than 71 snaps heavily biased to one end of the game or the other. No chance to rest then.

I think a relevant stat is how those def snaps were clustered, or how many in a row. I'd rather have 81 snaps somewhat spread out over a game, rather than 71 snaps heavily biased to one end of the game or the other. No chance to rest then.

They sure did chase that QB all over the field on the 2nd half. Made some good adjustments and played more disciplined after the first drive.

We will be back in the mix with a good defense before too long. I've got faith.

Jaquain made a great play no doubt but he was moving parallel to the LOS and the QB's forward momentum might have been enough to drag Jaquain into the end zone but Bituli met the QB almost head on a completely stopped his forward momentum. This was a great great combined tackle IMO.
I watched a clip from close up and behind the LOS, Blakely had him wrapped up and going down. One could say but what if, and yes Bituli took away the what if!

Well how much time has Blakely gotten this year? Isn’t he 2nd string if not third? Why would he be in the game @ that time on such a big play? I don’t really know which player you credit with the stop, but I know we have a coach who had that play completely sniffed out.

Well how much time has Blakely gotten this year? Isn’t he 2nd string if not third? Why would he be in the game @ that time on such a big play? I don’t really know which player you credit with the stop, but I know we have a coach who had that play completely sniffed out.
im thinking cjp has some analytics you would find interesting

VN Store

Back