Thoughts on this post?

As for the play itself..ehh no big deal.wasn’t right but wasn’t criminal.

As for this fan’s response. Overly emotional but that’s jmo

He was not even holding up the middle finger. he was holding up his index finger. Someone may have been watching the game on TV thought it was the middle finger and decided to put a post out that beck gave the salute to the GA tech outfielders.

Reactions: MT_Vol
Perhaps I am in the minority here to think that it is near impossible to have a fan base that actually cares and not have occasional incidents from players and fans alike that cause some pearl clutching among the Queensbury rules crowd. If it happens too often, it can become an issue and distract from the game. If it happens too little, people are checked out and going through the motions.

Rabid fanbases who actually expect to win and dominate in a sport are not familiar with "Pip pip, Jolly good show" type phrases, especially after losing. Class is important and a desirable trait - but never think it is essential to or more important than winning.

I think folks are to sensitive. No one got hurt and no one will care in a week.

As for our fanbase. I don't think we're any more obnoxious than other large fanbases. But there does see to be a tendency to embrace being the villains lately. After being cast as such, over and over, it's hard to blame folks for giving the people what they asked for.

The McDonalds bag thing especially is pure garbage, but we get to hear about it every year. Dan Patrick, who has zero connection to Tennessee, is the only one who reported that. People around the program who said Pruitt absolutely paid recruits, still say the McDonalds thing is a pure fabrication.

McDonalds bags, mustard bottles, AJ Johnson, Bray throwing beer bottles, Jennings rightfully calling out Butch’s staff, Heupel being equal to Beamer (after throttling him), I mean the media has been eating this stuff up for years, taking shots at us. Hard to blame players from any sport from talking some trash when we’re suddenly unstoppable in a major sport.
I just think we're always an easy target b/t of our large and passionate fan base. It feels better when we're winning...if they think we're unbearable now, wait until we start putting up more W's in football! Most folks have forgotten how proudly obnoxious we can be in football when we're winning!

Reactions: OffTackleVol
I think folks are to sensitive. No one got hurt and no one will care in a week.

As for our fanbase. I don't think we're any more obnoxious than other large fanbases. But there does see to be a tendency to embrace being the villains lately. After being cast as such, over and over, it's hard to blame folks for giving the people what they asked for.
Don’t worry the obnoxious ones are balanced out by our pearl clutching social justice warriors who can’t wait to log on to say just how outraged they were. Didn’t like it if it were my kid I would talk to him but some of you who are OUTRAGED 😂 act like you’ve never been a 20 year old kid.

Classless, trashy, and completely expected from this fanbase. That's my thoughts.

You can "care about winning" and have some moxy without flipping people off. It's pretty stupid to suggest someone can't. I don't know who wrote this but it's hard for me to not think they are pretty stupid.

Exactly. RockyTopRecruiting's post is idiotic--about 95 percent nonsense--and completely typical of Bubba's who mindlessly beat their chests and can't separate gold from gravel. He apparently thinks that because we've got a good baseball team, anything goes. Please. What: When one of our players hits a double, should he try to spit on the opposing shortstop when he gets to the bag....because he hit a double and we're good? And all of his blather about Tennessee being disrespected is equally dumb. You play hard, you have fun, but you also know where to draw the line when it comes to sportsmanship. You wanna flip your bat after hitting a dinger? Flip it--but don't flip it 15-feet in the air. There's a difference between people who have money and know how to act and goofs who win the lottery and act like fools. Let's not be lottery-winner people.

Reactions: bpalmer28
I just think we're always an easy target b/t of our large and passionate fan base. It feels better when we're winning...if they think we're unbearable now, wait until we start putting up more W's in football! Most folks have forgotten how proudly obnoxious we can be in football when we're winning!

Actually, it should be the opposite. If you've got a longtime power program, you don't have to be obnoxious. it's the old phrase, "act like you've been there." If you been there for an extended period of time, you don't act like an obnoxious prick. That's the point.

I'd simply say "if we could harness this passion for taking a stand on real life issues and call out the companies that support them" .....THEN....we could win this culture war battle which is currently raging. Man...I love the Vols in all sports...but often catch myself with (as my wife so aptly states it) "massively misplaced enthusiasm". That may apply here...or maybe not. JMO

Reactions: njvols and Devo182
Our fans make a way bigger deal about it than anyone else. Is it on Sportscenter? Front pages? It's really not that big of a deal. We just decide to turn it into one. This isn't even like the Ole Miss situation where it was being talked about on the national stage.

I'd simply say "if we could harness this passion for taking a stand on real life issues and call out the companies that support them" .....THEN....we could win this culture war battle which is currently raging. Man...I love the Vols in all sports...but often catch myself with (as my wife so aptly states it) "massively misplaced enthusiasm". That may apply here...or maybe not. JMO
Maybe maybe not. Or is this a case of whataboutism? Idk. I, for one, feel I have enough passion to fight for things like ..well...things that matter WAY more like the value of black peoples' lives...but have enough in the tank to root on the Vols. Doesn't mean I'm gonna waste energy in the streets defending us over a freakin bird flip. That's silly.

But I overall agree. Way more important issues in the world. 80/20 energy is ok and I think most can handle that. But yeah some people go OVERBOARD such as VolTwitter, Andy, and Sab types.

It'll probably get mainstreamed like every other unsportsmanlike thing in college and pro sports. You can't even watch a high school, college, or pro game without someone taunting or flexing after a made basket or TD or home run or 100yd dash victory etc etc. Saddens me because it all trickles down to the kids who idolize the older athletes.

Don’t worry the obnoxious ones are balanced out by our pearl clutching social justice warriors who can’t wait to log on to say just how outraged they were. Didn’t like it if it were my kid I would talk to him but some of you who are OUTRAGED 😂 act like you’ve never been a 20 year old kid.
I mean it's in bad taste. But it's not even close to the stupidest thing most did in their 20s, myself included. If nothing else the sjw crowd and the puritan crowd are both clutching pearls over this, so he's bringing people together.

Reactions: O.G.HomeGrownUTVOL
They all have bad apples but I think it's safe to say we have noticeably more bad apples than usual.

I say it's expected because it's become normal for us. It's most prevalent on social media, which is where the OP's post came from. Before this issue we were making excuses for our fans littering the field during the Ole Miss game. We've also been known to create petitions to get coaches fired with thousands of signatures. Boo our own team. And rally around slogans like "Vols, Bitch". I love that we aggressively support our team but we have a reputation of taking things too far. There's nothing wrong with saying JB should have kept his finger in his fist. And there's nothing wrong with saying our fans shouldn't be praising JB's actions. Applauding him for it is a classless and trashy thing to do, and I fully expected it to be done.

Lighten up Francis.

Campbell's fans were apparently horrible, and were yelling to our players about PED use, etc. Wouldn't shock me if GT was doing the same thing. I don't give a single rip about a player giving the other team the bird. He didn't run out there and teabag the guy. Saying it's classless is some weak stuff from people whose last sporting experience was a little league field and whose maximum adrenaline pump is their morning dump.

Quote of the year nominee! 👏

No. I believe there was a pretty weak holding call on UT leading up to that play. I believe there was also a very obvious hold on Tillman earlier in that sequence of possessions which would have changed the course of the end of the game. They've made holding so subjective and acceptably so that officials can steer a game simply by calling more on one team or the other or allowing one team to get away with more than the other.

Go back to the 2:13 mark of the 4th qtr. On that play there were two OM DL's with hands to the face. The official called holding against Carvin... who was one of the players with a hand in his face mask.
The flopping was well past the point of amusement. The lid was ready to blow in the stadium that night, and it did. Despite the Kiffin presence, many factors set that off. I am not excusing the actions but was quite over the entire situation well before the mustard started flying.

Reactions: sjt18
It's more than just a few... the post OP is referencing has over 1,500 likes in 3 hours. Read the comments. I'm not saying ALL our fans are like that but I do think we have noticeably more fans like that than anyone else. Most of the time I love our fanbase, but when we start getting out of hand I can't help but try to reel folks in a bit. I don't mind the clown suit.
I’m guessing you’ve never been to Morgantown, or Athens, Gainesville, Lexington, Tallahassee...?
GBO!!

Reactions: CDB and MT_Vol
Exactly. RockyTopRecruiting's post is idiotic--about 95 percent nonsense--and completely typical of Bubba's who mindlessly beat their chests and can't separate gold from gravel. He apparently thinks that because we've got a good baseball team, anything goes. Please. What: When one of our players hits a double, should he try to spit on the opposing shortstop when he gets to the bag....because he hit a double and we're good? And all of his blather about Tennessee being disrespected is equally dumb. You play hard, you have fun, but you also know where to draw the line when it comes to sportsmanship. You wanna flip your bat after hitting a dinger? Flip it--but don't flip it 15-feet in the air. There's a difference between people who have money and know how to act and goofs who win the lottery and act like fools. Let's not be lottery-winner people.
Sorry but your posts stinks of stuck up douchebag. Dude flipped the bird he didn’t spit on anyone. I swear some of you would die if you didn’t have something to complain about.

VN Store

Back