Thoughts on this post?

As a general rule, it is both possible and desirable to have some class in life, whatever you're doing. Playing sports, working, at a party with friends, or at the mall. Always better to be polite and respectful.

Having said that, 20-year-olds are gonna 20-year-old. I flipped a ton of birds earlier in life, as well as shot dozens of moons and other less-than-classy stunts. *shrug* it's all a part of growing up for a significant segment of the population.

For the folks saying our players should do stuff like this all the time, or that antics like this are an important part of baseball: No. They aren't. Stuff happens, but it doesn't make anyone a better ball player. There are tons of ways to make baseball more fun without the birds and FUs. The coats and hands-over-eyes poses are good examples of good-natured fun. The lads on this squad are full of fun. They don't need birds for that.

For the folks saying he should be punished, come on. It was a bird finger, not capital murder. Let's have a sense of perspective here. A "don't do that" from the coach is more than enough.

For those (like that post the OP linked) who think there's some massive anti-Tennessee crusade going on by the world at large: please come back to reality. We get no more or less grief than any other program.

And for all the folks who understand that the middle ground is the right place to be on this kind of issue, good on you. You have a decent head on your shoulders.

Go Vols! Win super-regionals!
Agree. But the way a 20 year old doesn't become a 40 year old doing the same kind of immature "stuff" is to feel some heat... to experience disapproval and even a little "pain". A good portion of what's wrong with our society as a whole is people believing they should be able to do what they want without rejection or repercussion... and then crying "victim" if someone opposes them.

I love the way these guys play. Definitely understand Beck's penned up emotions that came gushing out. But we can't accept stuff like that or we end up in a society no one wants to live in.

Gotta be honest... I was so angry during the OM game that it was tempting to try to throw something onto the field through my TV all the way from MO. That one call was the cherry on top but the officiating in that game repeatedly skewed in favor of OM. UT shouldn't have been in a position for that particular call to matter. The calls and non-calls leading up to that call were even worse.

But wanting to... then not doing it is what we should be shooting for.

Gotta be honest... I was so angry during the OM game that it was tempting to try to throw something onto the field through my TV all the way from MO. That one call was the cherry on top but the officiating in that game repeatedly skewed in favor of OM. UT shouldn't have been in a position for that particular call to matter. The calls and non-calls leading up to that call were even worse.

You're referencing the strip and score of the OM QB which received a made-up ruling on the field?

I'm not sure anyone knows the full context, except for maybe our dugout. I've attended games before where players have been ferociously heckled by the opposing fans throughout the game, so it's not surprising to me when a player give a little back every now and then.

You're referencing the strip and score of the OM QB which received a made-up ruling on the field?
No. I believe there was a pretty weak holding call on UT leading up to that play. I believe there was also a very obvious hold on Tillman earlier in that sequence of possessions which would have changed the course of the end of the game. They've made holding so subjective and acceptably so that officials can steer a game simply by calling more on one team or the other or allowing one team to get away with more than the other.

Go back to the 2:13 mark of the 4th qtr. On that play there were two OM DL's with hands to the face. The official called holding against Carvin... who was one of the players with a hand in his face mask.

Reactions: SmokinBob and McDad
It's not just today... I've taken this stance before.
It’s just dumb to me. It’s likely just a few individuals that are idiotic and you’re stereotyping all of our fans. Don’t worry though I’ve been a clown on occasion myself. I have no problem with those who have issue with what Beck did, I would’ve preferred it hadn’t happened. We’ve taken an us against the world philosophy and it’s going to get out of hand from time to time.

It's just sports

Who cares about class

We ain't having tea parties with the queen
I would rather them not flip off the other team. A lot of the other stuff I like and it’s just this team’s personality. Despite what everyone says about how much they hate Tennessee they actually love this team, they love to hate us.

It’s just dumb to me. It’s likely just a few individuals that are idiotic and you’re stereotyping all of our fans. Don’t worry though I’ve been a clown on occasion myself. I have no problem with those who have issue with what Beck did, I would’ve preferred it hadn’t happened. We’ve taken an us against the world philosophy and it’s going to get out of hand from time to time.
It's more than just a few... the post OP is referencing has over 1,500 likes in 3 hours. Read the comments. I'm not saying ALL our fans are like that but I do think we have noticeably more fans like that than anyone else. Most of the time I love our fanbase, but when we start getting out of hand I can't help but try to reel folks in a bit. I don't mind the clown suit.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
I'm not sure anyone knows the full context, except for maybe our dugout. I've attended games before where players have been ferociously heckled by the opposing fans throughout the game, so it's not surprising to me when a player give a little back every now and then.

Last edited:

I was livid as well. Embarrassed the wife for sure (who was 38 weeks pregnant at the time and went to the game anyway, God bless her) but couldn't help but roll my eyes at people throwing stuff. I just don't understand it. I actually understand the golf ball more than all the trash... someone had to pick all that stuff up.

Reactions: sjt18
Campbell's fans were apparently horrible, and were yelling to our players about PED use, etc. Wouldn't shock me if GT was doing the same thing. I don't give a single rip about a player giving the other team the bird. He didn't run out there and teabag the guy. Saying it's classless is some weak stuff from people whose last sporting experience was a little league field and whose maximum adrenaline pump is their morning dump.

we have a reputation of taking things too far.

I'd prefer Tennessee to be known as the program that wins a bunch of national titles across all sports but, honestly, this is a fairly close second.

I think it's absolutely awesome that other fanbases hate on Tennessee for taking things "too far," and I would hope that a good portion of the fanbase feels similarly because there is no benefit from winning the congeniality award.

It's more than just a few... the post OP is referencing has over 1,500 likes in 3 hours. Read the comments. I'm not saying ALL our fans are like that but I do think we have noticeably more fans like that than anyone else. Most of the time I love our fanbase, but when we start getting out of hand I can't help but try to reel folks in a bit. I don't mind the clown suit.
We have a large presence on social media more so than others imo. Again I didn’t agree with it but I know exactly why it happened.

Haha it’s no problem. I myself have opinions that’s different from a lot of ppl. We just don’t want you going over with the Vandy fans and sipping white claw with one pinkie out.

Reactions: bpalmer28
We don't have anymore like that than anyone else. You just see it more because of the algorithm that you're in. You see TN fan posts more than auburn fans and ucla fans and so on.

Reactions: SmokinBob and CDB
Not going to indict our entire fan base. Every fan base has some ignorant rubes including ours. But there is no question one can win with class. (Act like you’ve been there before even if you haven’t.) I don’t even mind a little hot dogging and the homer coat. But Georgia Tech played its butt off and didn’t deserve a middle finger. If Vitello handles it, I’m good with it. But regardless of what the coach does, you can bet your rear end that there would have been a discussion if Beck was my son. In the heat of the moment or not, it was a classless gesture and he should apologize for it. My parents taught me that class is class and trash is trash and that’s what I drilled into my kids. Take your pick which one you want to be because that’s what folks will remember you for.

This in regards to the media backlash about Jordan Beck (baseball) flipping off the GA Tech fanbase last night. I’m posting it in the football forum because the majority of beatings Tennessee has taken over the last two decades have been football related.

I don’t agree with a lot of this post, I don’t think this should be encouraged, but I kind of see where the poster is coming from here given some of the ringer we’ve had to go through as Tennessee fans for a long time now.

Interested in others’ thoughts.

View attachment 461633
cXxJYC.gif

You need to get out more of you think we have more than anyone else , seriously

Reactions: CDB

VN Store

Back