Thoughts on Tennessee football following the Bama game (long read)

NighthawkVol

First of all, this team is better than I thought they’d be at this point. Josh Heupel and staff have given me plenty of reason to believe that this program will be good again and it will happen sooner than I expected. As in, dare I say it, Tennessee could be a darkhorse East contender in 2022 with a few guys taking advantage of a Covid year and a key acquisition or two in the portal. The following are some thoughts on the season thus far, the state of the program, the Bama game, and how next season is shaping up based on what we’ve seen this season:

-The first priority in taking the next step next season has to the offensive line. We’ve seen it all year, but Alabama really exposed it. It would help if Carvin and Calbert use their Covid years and come back. I’d expect them to. Mays may leave, but if all three of those guys come back, we could be looking at something. A starting five of Wright, Calbert, Carvin, Spraggins, and Mays would be pretty darn good. You’d still need to develop some depth, so hopefully, guys like Crawford, Davis, Perry, Parker, and Robinson develop and you get a transfer or two.

I don’t think Cooper Mays or Ollie Lane are ever going to be good SEC linemen. Both are weak and, frankly, fat. They have no body tone. I don’t know if they don’t work out like they should or if that’s just the their body types, but their lack of strength is a hinderance. We need to be able to depend on others besides them. Hopefully, we pick up a transfer or two here.

-If Cedric Tillman were just a half step faster, he’d be All SEC. He plays well in this offense, runs good routes, plays physical, and catches the ball. I hope he picks up that half step in speed in the offseason.

-Things Vols fans need to stop doing/saying: 1) stop with the Joe Milton attacks. I’ve seen some say they hate him. The kid made a mistake at the end of the OM game by losing track of time. But he was thrown into a ridiculously tough situation and threw what should have been the game winning TD pass…in fact that pass was perfect. Tillman just had no legs and barely got of the ground. If that ball is caught as it should have been, Milton is a hero. And no, Harrison Bailey is not better. Harrison Bailey is Justin Worley, part 2. He can’t move. Given how bad this Oline is, a QB who can’t move is of no value. I hope Bailey is able to redshirt. 2) “They lost cuz bad coachin and bad play callin!” Just stop. The coaching staff has done everything to put this team in position to win. The play calling has been exceptional. If you’re criticizing play calling, you’re showing how little you know about football. Anytime Tennessee loses, fans criticize play calling. It’s the go-to line of the ignorant. All those wide open WRs UT had against Bama (and every other game this year) were the result of great play calling. And no, when Tennessee was stuffed on 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 1, it wasn’t because of bad play calling. It was because Tennessee’s line didn’t execute. You HAVE to be able to run in those situations. Hell, you have to be able to run at all or a defense doesn’t have to respect it. Tennessee simply couldn’t run yesterday, making play calling incredibly difficult. Just stop with the play calling/coaching criticism. It’s just not valid.

-We go into the off week with a chance to get really healthy for Kentucky. Evans and Small both played against Bama, so they should be close to 100% in two weeks. I don’t know the status of Burrell and Jackson, but assume they’ll play. Cade Mays was day-to-day this week, so he should be fine in 2 weeks. And Hooker is obviously healthy. I think Roman Harrison came back in after getting hurt. We should have a very healthy team against UK. That being the case, with a week to prepare, I like Tennessee’s chances. This is the biggest game left on the schedule. This is the difference between 6-6 and 7-5. I can’t wait.

-Theo Jackson and Burrell (anyone know why he didn’t play?) being out really hurt Tennessee, but it gave Slaughter, Hadden, and Turnage some PT and all three had some nice moments and some bad moments. But we’re building depth there.

-22, 1, and 24 had awful nights on defense. They need to bounce back. I’ll leave it at that.

-Byron Young is turning into a really good pass rusher.

-Tennessee’s front 7 stopped Bama’s run better than I imagined they would. They wore down at the end, but, man, Rodney Garner has those guys believing and playing well. If we can get similar improvement on the OLine next year, I’d be thrilled.

-Why can’t Jeremy Banks learn? He’s a good LB, but why does he always have to do something selfish and stupid to hurt the team?

-I thought we’d cured the penalty bug. Then it came back out of nowhere last night. That’s disappointing.

-On the other hand, we had our 2nd blocked punt of the season. We didn’t have one for about 7 years, now 2 this season. Ekeler is doing a great job with STs.

First of all, this team is better than I thought they’d be at this point. Josh Heupel and staff have given me plenty of reason to believe that this program will be good again and it will happen sooner than I expected. As in, dare I say it, Tennessee could be a darkhorse East contender in 2022 with a few guys taking advantage of a Covid year and a key acquisition or two in the portal. The following are some thoughts on the season thus far, the state of the program, the Bama game, and how next season is shaping up based on what we’ve seen this season:

-The first priority in taking the next step next season has to the offensive line. We’ve seen it all year, but Alabama really exposed it. It would help if Carvin and Calbert use their Covid years and come back. I’d expect them to. Mays may leave, but if all three of those guys come back, we could be looking at something. A starting five of Wright, Calbert, Carvin, Spraggins, and Mays would be pretty darn good. You’d still need to develop some depth, so hopefully, guys like Crawford, Davis, Perry, Parker, and Robinson develop and you get a transfer or two.

I don’t think Cooper Mays or Ollie Lane are ever going to be good SEC linemen. Both are weak and, frankly, fat. They have no body tone. I don’t know if they don’t work out like they should or if that’s just the their body types, but their lack of strength is a hinderance. We need to be able to depend on others besides them. Hopefully, we pick up a transfer or two here.

-If Cedric Tillman were just a half step faster, he’d be All SEC. He plays well in this offense, runs good routes, plays physical, and catches the ball. I hope he picks up that half step in speed in the offseason.

-Things Vols fans need to stop doing/saying: 1) stop with the Joe Milton attacks. I’ve seen some say they hate him. The kid made a mistake at the end of the OM game by losing track of time. But he was thrown into a ridiculously tough situation and threw what should have been the game winning TD pass…in fact that pass was perfect. Tillman just had no legs and barely got of the ground. If that ball is caught as it should have been, Milton is a hero. And no, Harrison Bailey is not better. Harrison Bailey is Justin Worley, part 2. He can’t move. Given how bad this Oline is, a QB who can’t move is of no value. I hope Bailey is able to redshirt. 2) “They lost cuz bad coachin and bad play callin!” Just stop. The coaching staff has done everything to put this team in position to win. The play calling has been exceptional. If you’re criticizing play calling, you’re showing how little you know about football. Anytime Tennessee loses, fans criticize play calling. It’s the go-to line of the ignorant. All those wide open WRs UT had against Bama (and every other game this year) were the result of great play calling. And no, when Tennessee was stuffed on 2nd and 1 and 3rd and 1, it wasn’t because of bad play calling. It was because Tennessee’s line didn’t execute. You HAVE to be able to run in those situations. Hell, you have to be able to run at all or a defense doesn’t have to respect it. Tennessee simply couldn’t run yesterday, making play calling incredibly difficult. Just stop with the play calling/coaching criticism. It’s just not valid.

-We go into the off week with a chance to get really healthy for Kentucky. Evans and Small both played against Bama, so they should be close to 100% in two weeks. I don’t know the status of Burrell and Jackson, but assume they’ll play. Cade Mays was day-to-day this week, so he should be fine in 2 weeks. And Hooker is obviously healthy. I think Roman Harrison came back in after getting hurt. We should have a very healthy team against UK. That being the case, with a week to prepare, I like Tennessee’s chances. This is the biggest game left on the schedule. This is the difference between 6-6 and 7-5. I can’t wait.

-Theo Jackson and Burrell (anyone know why he didn’t play?) being out really hurt Tennessee, but it gave Slaughter, Hadden, and Turnage some PT and all three had some nice moments and some bad moments. But we’re building depth there.

-22, 1, and 24 had awful nights on defense. They need to bounce back. I’ll leave it at that.

-Tennessee’s front 7 stopped Bama’s run better than I imagined they would. They wore down at the end, but, man, Rodney Garner has those guys believing and playing well. If we can get similar improvement on the OLine next year, I’d be thrilled.

-Why can’t Jeremy Banks learn? He’s a good LB, but why does he always have to do something selfish and stupid to hurt the team?

-I thought we’d cured the penalty bug. Then it came back out of nowhere last night. That’s disappointing.

-On the other hand, we had our 2nd blocked punt of the season. We didn’t have one for about 7 years, now 2 this season. Ekeler is doing a great job with STs.

Bravo!!

Reactions: rexjazz
From what I’ve seen, Heupel can coach players up and he’s a damn good play caller. What will determine if he can make it at UT is IF he can recruit. If he can bring top 10 classes, maybe even top 5, then I think he will succeed here.

Great summary. Agree with almost all of this (not as disappointed in Cooper as you).

We just have to get to the point of being legitimately 2-deep on the OLine. For as long as I can remember, we have had to get by with 4-7 offensive linemen who were really ready to be competitive. Inevitably a couple get hurt and our QB and RBs get destroyed. Don’t know if good OL players can be found in the portal but it is definitely a position of need.

excellent critique -- just haven't given up on cooper, ollie

Reactions: ralphtt
From what I’ve seen, Heupel can coach players up and he’s a damn good play caller. What will determine if he can make it at UT is IF he can recruit. If he can bring top 10 classes, maybe even top 5, then I think he will succeed here.

I agree, but I think the portal is going to be our friend first and then the recruits will follow.

Here is an area I have noticed that may not be something the coaching staff can fix.
A lot of these penalties seem to come when we try to hurry up. When you hurry you must be able to think fast I don't think a lot of our guys can/or are able to do it. Maybe they can and it's just a lack of total concentration and if some are concentrating that hard, they may be losing thoughts required for the play. (like the pass interception broken route that broke our backs last night) (or the run out of bounds to end the Ole Miss game) You can't teach intelligence you either have it or you don't. All a staff can do is teach you how to use the intelligence you come with. There is a difference in being intelligent and being smart. You can't be smart without intelligence.

Here is an area I have noticed that may not be something the coaching staff can fix.
A lot of these penalties seem to come when we try to hurry up. When you hurry you must be able to think fast I don't think a lot of our guys can/or are able to do it. Maybe they can and it's just a lack of total concentration and if some are concentrating that hard, they may be losing thoughts required for the play. (like the pass interception broken route that broke our backs last night) (or the run out of bounds to end the Ole Miss game) You can't teach intelligence you either have it or you don't. All a staff can do is teach you how to use the intelligence you come with. There is a difference in being intelligent and being smart. You can't be smart without intelligence.

Fair point. And falls in line with the point I keep harping on...it's less important to sign guys who are 4-5 stars just because they're highly ranked than it is to sign guys who fit our culture and system. Intelligence is a part of that.

According to some of our posters, UT recruits itself---so we should be good to go

We have had receivers running wide open all year, that's from play calling. But you have to run the ball to balance that. The injuries and lack of depth on o-line has shown itself the last 2 games in our lack of running game. We should get healthy and should be able to run on UK. I'm looking forward to what a healthy o=line and running back squad can do against that uga defense.

Maybe I’m missing something, but it seems that we are trying to run between the tackles too much On 3rd and 1 from shotgun. Doesn’t make sense when we are outmatched at the line of scrimmage. By the time the play develops, their D line is in our backfield. We didn’t seem to call many run plays to the outside. An option, or jet sweep every now and then could be effective. Worth a try anyway.

Agree on Banks, but that penalty is not called on Alabama. Even the commentators said the flag should have been left in the pocket. Bama got by with an obvious targeting in the 1st half, the same LB that got one a few weeks back.. Agree on most points, proud of the fight. Folks don't remember the Battle of San Jacinto, the Alamo is a different story.

Agree on Banks, but that penalty is not called on Alabama. Even the commentators said the flag should have been left in the pocket. Bama got by with an obvious targeting in the 1st half, the same LB that got one a few weeks back.. Agree on most points, proud of the fight. Folks don't remember the Battle of San Jacinto, the Alamo is a different story.

It wouldn’t be called on Alabama. You’re right. But it still wasn’t smart.

Reactions: Voltrapnbama
Alabama's crowd had something to do with that. We been pretty good the last few games.

I mostly agree, but I am nowhere near as down on Cooper Mays as you are.

Hard to argue that we are not exponentially better in the running game with him in there.

100% agree on priority 1, close up the holes and depth issues surrounding the OL. Yes, as it stands a less than mobile QB, right now, is a liability, and he might get killed in the process.

Didn't think the front 7 could stop good running teams. So far they more than slowed them down. Except one issue, QB draw/scramble.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I mostly agree, but I am nowhere near as down on Cooper Mays as you are.

Hard to argue that we are not exponentially better in the running game with him in there.

I can make that argument: our best rushing performances have been with Mays out. Our worst rushing performances have been with him in. It’s entirely possible that that is opponent-driven, but we also can’t give him credit for being something he hasn’t shown.

Great analysis and write up my friend.

About the recruiting...

We all know that every coach that's recruiting against us IS using the useless NCAA's investigation against us.

There's no telling what all those other coaches are saying but you can bet that part of it is there won't be any bowl games for 1 to 3 years so that also means nobody will get the goody bags of nice things that all the players normally get.

They're also saying that UT will NOT get several schollies for several years so that our Vols won't be a good team for several more years to come.

Until the useless NCAA says what they're going to do to us and until those things are passed and behind us then our coaches are trying to recruit with the deck well stacked against us.

Until then there's really no legit way to do a honest evaluation of how well each of our coaches can do on the recruiting trail, it would really be unfair to even try.

VFL...GBO!!!

Great post OP! I do, like others, think Cooper is better than you indicate but our O-Line has been beaten to hell and our lack of depth shows. Starting line is pretty good, can't help but think if a few folks would have stayed where we would be at.

Best part of this team is their fight. You can't expect these guys to hold up for four quarters but they almost did! If the offense gets more TOP and the D has less snaps who knows how that game finishes! I'm very encouraged by the teams esprit de corps and improvement throughout the season. We keep getting better and it shows.

The wide margin of loss to UF and Bama are depth related more than anything. Neither team is playing at their normal level but we scared both of them deep into the games. This will only get better if the coaches get more talent on board.

Very encouraged by this team's improvement under the staff!!!!

A lot of times the difference in a 3 star ranked player and being ranked 4 star is speed of the players .....we need speed too.

There is a reason if you go all the way back to the first BCS Championship game that included UT and all the playoff games there is one common theme....The teams involved recruited in the top 10....You can look at the two teams in the SEC Championship Game and the winner and see the same.

VN Store

Back