Thoughts On Possible Interior Presence

Volfan1000

Starting on Saturday, I would possibly start Huntley-Hatfield against LSU since he brings scoring and rebounding potential to the lineup and bring Fulkerson off the bench.

BHH is not the best defender yet but he needs more minutes to show what he can do and Fulkerson seems to still be recovering from the Covid-19 virus.

If Huntley-Hatfield and Aidoo do not get more minutes as the season progresses, they could hit the transfer portal at the end of the season and Barnes might have trouble attracting top interior players to Tennessee in the future.

Thoughts from the board?

Last edited:
Reactions: HalfullVol
Starting on Saturday, I would possibly start Huntley-Hatfield against LSU since he brings scoring and rebounding potential to the lineup and bring Fulkerson off the bench.

BHH is not the best defender yet but he needs more minutes to show what he can do and Fulkerson seems to still be recovering from the Covid-19 virus.

If Huntley-Hatfield and Aidoo do not get more minutes as the season progresses, they could hit the transfer portal ay the end of the season and Barnes might have trouble attracting top interior players to Tennessee in the future.

Thoughts from the board?
Yeah, both or either one transferring is a fear of mine, too. They say Barnes is hard on his PGs, but the way our best big men (recruits) have all transferred the last 3 years, I'm starting to think he is harder on his freshmen posts than anybody

One thing is certain: we need more aggressive play down low. Surely we’ve got somebody who can complement Fulk underneath.

If Huntley-Hatfield and Aidoo do not get more minutes as the season progresses, they could hit the transfer portal at the end of the season and Barnes might have trouble attracting top interior players to Tennessee in the future.

Thoughts from the board?
Why? BHH has NOT looked good in 2 of the last 3 games. Had a great 1st half against Bama, but his defense kept him out of the 2nd half.

Just because he was a 5 star coming out of high school doesn't mean he's instantly going to play like a 1st round draft pick. Also keep in mind that he should be in his senior year of high school right now. He still has a lot of developing to do.

If you’re making a move to the lineup it should be bringing in Zeigler or Powell, and moving ON to the 5…we’ve played majority small ball of late anyways, not sure why we don’t start the game that way.

If you’re making a move to the lineup it should be bringing in Zeigler or Powell, and moving ON to the 5…we’ve played majority small ball of late anyways, not sure why we don’t start the game that way.
So bring Fulk off the bench? ZZZ for me, but I think Fulk can bring a lot off the bench, maybe more than he does starting

So bring Fulk off the bench? ZZZ for me, but I think Fulk can bring a lot off the bench, maybe more than he does starting
Yes…I would start ON over Fulk, but fine with Fulk over ON, but point was that I wouldn’t be bringing in another post, we have been playing mostly small ball anyways, and that’s where our strengths are imo.

I think starting is something you have to earn, just like PT. Coaches use that to motivate players. Freshmen struggling to see PT is nothing new. Zeigler and Chandler's PT shows the other freshmen Barnes isn't opposed to playing freshmen, it's just they haven't met his standards yet. I trust Barnes can handle them properly.

Yes…I would start ON over Fulk, but fine with Fulk over ON, but point was that I wouldn’t be bringing in another post, we have been playing mostly small ball anyways, and that’s where our strengths are imo.
Agree. I think Fulk can bring mad energy off the bench and produce. Plus, it doesn't matter who starts as much as who finishes the game

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I think since Aidoo is so close with the one one assistant coach and he was sick for so long in the preseason, he will stick around for at least 2 seasons.

At some point you have to realize our offense is not good and start your five best scorers. Although our defense helps us win close games, it’s our lack of offense that’s makes the games close. We should have beat Ole Miss by 20 last night. Should have beat Texas Tech also.

At some point you have to realize our offense is not good and start your five best scorers. Although our defense helps us win close games, it’s our lack of offense that’s makes the games close. We should have beat Ole Miss by 20 last night. Should have beat Texas Tech also.
The top 4 scorers on the team have started every game they’ve been available this year.

The top 4 scorers on the team have started every game they’ve been available this year.

Doesn’t mean they are the best offensive players just that they play the most minutes. Primarily due to experience and defense.

Zeigler is the perfect example of if you work hard and perform well when given an opportunity then Barnes will play you either way. That's a reflection probably on BHH the most. Mashack got his opportunity last night and did well with it, over a guy that is a redshirt senior in Bailey. Powell played a decent amount last night, but if he'd lock in on the defensive end he'd be playing even more. Barnes didn't feel like he could take Santi out because he gave us the best chance to win on both sides of the ball. He played 42 out of 45 minutes.

Barnes loves ZZZ. Nobody but SV gets as much love as ZZZ. U know the main thing they have in common, nobody practices as hard as they do, every day. At least, that's how I interpreted it, listening to Bob interview Rick, after every game.

Thoughts from the board?
BHH seems to have potential, but no way I start him at this point. He's arguably our 4th best post player currently and looks to be a year or so away from figuring it out in terms of defensive rotations and protecting the ball on the offensive side of the floor. JMO, so TIFWIW!

That much is obvious. Or maybe it SHOULD be obvious. But Barnes makes $5,000,000. And he’s stubborn, won’t call time outs, and is mean to players.

You left out the part about him being old, not believing in analytics, that the game has clearly passed him by and he shoulda hung it up years ago, etc.

This squad will make the tournament but you would hope coming off a tough road loss they would have looked appreciably better than they played last night on their home court against an average Ole Miss squad. If we don’t improve our offensive consistency, perhaps a top 6 SEC squad, but that is about it. Otherwise on the positive side, folks need to appreciate Vescovi more than he is given. Ziegler is the most entertaining player to watch, especially on defense. He is a nightmare for opponents.

VN Store

Back