Thoughts on Kevin Steele and Jeff Lebby?

dcVOLfanatic

It has been said by the talking heads that IF Steele were to get the job he would bring Lebby along as the OC. One would assume if Steele gets the job Garner would join him. I’m not saying I would necessarily be for it, but it is intriguing to think about a solid defensive staff (both on field and recruiting) and the firepower that Lebby could bring to the offense.

What are the consensus thoughts on that combo?

If they roll with Steele, they need to assure he has more support from the University than those who came before him. And part of that might be a reduced media access.

Probably a better idea to ride with Steele, then overpay for another unproven coordinator. Sucks being a Vols fan!

If going the coordinator route, yes name Steele head coach. He has been around long enough to know how multiple programs have been ran by multiple coaches. Some very successfully and some not.

At least I would trust him to bring in seasoned and solid coordinators and position coaches. The only challenge would be convincing them to jump on board and you do that with MONEY.

Another brand new young coordinator to head coach experiment is NOT what UT should do.

If UT can gain some momentum and start winning again and build a solid foundation, then maybe the long term solution COULD be to hire a very successful coordinator to take over. But, not now. Now is not the time for that......

If going the coordinator route, yes name Steele head coach. He has been around long enough to know how multiple programs have been ran by multiple coaches. Some very successfully and some not.

At least I would trust him to bring in seasoned and solid coordinators and position coaches. The only challenge would be convincing them to jump on board and you do that with MONEY.

Another brand new young coordinator to head coach experiment is NOT what UT should do.
Also be easier to replace him with his current contract if it doesn't work next season.

Reactions: sonofUT62
It has been said by the talking heads that IF Steele were to get the job he would bring Lebby along as the OC. One would assume if Steele gets the job Garner would join him. I’m not saying I would necessarily be for it, but it is intriguing to think about a solid defensive staff (both on field and recruiting) and the firepower that Lebby could bring to the offense.

It's not gonna be Steele if the reports about an offensive minded HC being targeted. Steele is better suited as a DC. He's getting old and he had a nervous breakdown several yrs back at Clemson where he was calling plays from his NFL Days. And it happened several times. Don't think he could handle the pressure of being the HC at TN. I feel confident that it won't be Steele.

I would definitely hope this is not the first option, but Steele has a good track record in many different stops and we all saw what Lebby can do with lesser talent in the SEC. if that’s the floor of this hiring process, I have a hard time being too upset.

I’m still hoping for Matt Campbell for what it’s worth!

I have already vetoed Steele. :)

The head coach needs to be the splash - and his assistants the icing on the cake - not the other way around. Garner was at one time a great recruiter - but would think he is getting a little long in the tooth - Steele's resume and age are not as splashy as the Coach we are fixing to hire.

Just for the record, I have also vetoed Cutcliff, Fulmer, Gus, Spurrier, Mack Brown ( who actually is a good head coach but just too old ) and half a dozen other retreads, so quit bringing them up on here. For some reason people think if they remember a name from the 90's that was a coach that they need to roll it out here.
And I am not referencing your post - which is reasonable considering that you added Leby and Garner - kind of what Kiffin was pitching when he was arriving here with his dad and gravel voice - but we will not do that, nor should we.

I get the feeling we aren't playing this time. There are probably only a half a dozen top coaches or rising stars who are not in play.

I think we are shopping on Ventura Boulevard, not at a flea market in Alabama this time around. ( no reflection on our last coach intended ).

There's no reason to have an Interim for a year. We hired an AD fast enough that him being the interim isn't necessary.

I didn’t say I wanted to have an interim. I said I would rather have an interim and take a year to make a good choice than to have a guy like Leipold.

Who u kidding...Steele sucks...sucked last time he was here...was a bonehead move to bring him back imo...why do u think he won't suck this time?....he can't even keep our recruits...now key Lawrence wants to transfer....by the time we find a coach we will need a whole new team!....rant over...fire away

Reactions: jerrync
Who u kidding...Steele sucks...sucked last time he was here...was a bonehead move to bring him back imo...why do u think he won't suck this time?....he can't even keep our recruits...now key Lawrence wants to transfer....by the time we find a coach we will need a whole new team!....rant over...fire away

The last time he was here was 33 years ago as a position coach. Hell of a memory you must have.

Reactions: BigDave
By hiring an unproven coordinator, White would certainly not garner a whole lot of respect from day 1.

I hope he does not go that route, as I think he has an open checkbook during this honeymoon.

I would not oppose Steele as a DC or other position coach if he were to accept that role.

If we still end up with Steele, then for me that take a bit of the hype off White's hire. Not long term or anything but it would be disappointing to still (Steele....ha ha get it?) end up with KS. But that's what most of us were expecting so I guess it's a bit of a wash.

White has a pattern of hiring high energy coaches that have innovative concepts whether in scheme or coaching philosophy. I would be very surprised if this hire is anyone over 55 years old and I would not be surprised if he leans toward a young, high energy, innovative offensive coordinator.

I could certainly be wrong but I just don’t see Kevin Steele being the guy.

VN Store

Back