Those saying Bailey would be odd man out and transfer.......

I think only a few Maurerons were writing him off.
Who specifically? There were some of us who thought he would be the odd man out because of the O, style of play, and his dissimilarity with the other QB's. I didn't see anyone say he was a talentless bum who couldn't start for a P-5 program in a system suited to his skill set.

I have hopes for Hooker but watching the Spring Game he seems to be taking a longer look than the others to the sidelines. No headsets, I'm assuming, for the game but little noise also. Go back and watch, he seems to step toward the sidelines more, hesitate, etc..... all of them spent too much time getting the plays for a hurry up set, but that will come..... Hooker seemed, I dunno, almost as if physically seeing the sideline signs was difficult.

Overall, it's not a bad "problem" to have. I wish our LB room generated as much discussion concerning who has the best talent and not worries over when/if suspensions will end.

And BTW. As much as I appreciate you recognizing him, I gotta say I take offense to this kind of talk. People “label” his aggressiveness as “inconsistent” but he’s no more inconsistent than any other qb that’s played that way. Gunslingers miss some. They make mistakes too. Even as pros that’s true. So I wouldn’t call it “bipolar” play.

Personally I’d never use the word or prediction of “crippled”. I know you don’t mean it that way but it just sounds as disgusting as “I hope he LIVES through it”

You can be offended all you want, but inconsistent is absolutely a fair label to hand him up to this point. He's had shots in games and shown flashes but never stepped up and taken over a game. Forcing the ball into tight coverage (and missing) doesn't make him aggressive. It makes him a liability. Also, he is far more inconsistent than plenty of other aggressive, gunslinger type players.

The poster child for that is Brett Favre. He consistently took over games far more often than he played poorly, and there are plenty of other examples of that in both college and the pros. A 2-5 TD-INT ratio is simply not good no matter how you spin it.

I honestly don't understand why we are all arguing over who is better for CJH's system when none of them have played in it.....

My Gosh skoal can's offense could make Manning and Brady look pedestrian

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
That’s fair. But he’s never going to change. I agree with you though believe it or not. He keeps you on the edge of your seat. That being said, I think it should be obvious that the good plays outweigh the bad ones in terms of how many good plays vs how many bad ones.
I'm not a Maurer hater at all, but so far, his good plays have not outweighed his bad ones.

I'm trying to figure out where this narrative got created that Bailey is the "safe" choice simply because he doesn't recklessly throw passes into coverage. Instead, he completes 70%+ of his passes while still throwing the ball downfield.

"Safer". I thought he looked very poised and in control, thus safer than Maurer.

901..... this is what you’re missing. I’m not saying Maurer was BETTER than Bailey on Saturday. What I’m saying is Maurer faced the first team defense more than any of the other qbs and only ONCE did he have the first team O. He was 9-15. That’s 6 incomplete passes. Two were dropped on perfectly thrown balls. That leaves 4. Two were thrown away. What’s the biggest complaint most had of Maurer in 2019? Trying to FORCE it. So you’d think the throw away would be welcomed. So that leaves 2. One was batted at the line and the other was too far inside for what I consider a D2 (at least D2 effort) receiver to adjust to. He threw 2 “inaccurate” passes and one was caught anyway on the WR screen of the first drive. Afterwards he was nearly perfect on the day himself.

Do you realize we’re all having an ENTIRELY different conversation if we were able to add the two drops to his totals? If they got tackled on the spot after the catch he would’ve been 11/15 for around 240 yards and still had 50+ yards rushing.

Yes Bailey was brilliant. I acknowledge that. But saying he was “better” than Maurer is not true when 2 of his 15 passes were throws that none of the others can make (Or at least haven’t SHOWN they can as of yet) vs Baileys “pitch and catch. I find it hard to believe that Bailey could have been in a full speed scramble to his right and throw a strike from 55 yards out to the middle of the field. I don’t think any of them could have tbh. The difficulty of that throw is completely out of the realm of possibility for anyone else on UTs roster that I’ve seen.
You can make any case you want to lift Mauer. HB looked better last year amd looks better now. Nobody actually played the 1st team defense so idk why it keeps coming up. You say you dont see how I can say Bailey was better. I just told you how he was better. He led TD drives on 4 out of 5 drives. Mauer punted on 4 out of 7 drives. Bailey looked the same no matter which group he was with. The fact that you have to bring up 1st - 3rd team when everyone was pretty much backups anyway says alot.

Ima wait for fall camp and decide then but from the video I seen of the O&W game Bailey looked like he could be the starter if all things are equal in improvement over the summer and fall camp

Maurers Mechanics suck ass. Everyone talking sh1t about Bailey having a weak arm are stupid. He is a qb in the Sec that a lot of people wanted. I like Maurer but just cause a skinny kid can run a bit and throw it maybe a little further doesnt mean hes a better player. More to it than arm strength and movement at the QB position. Bailey is more accurate and not as fragile. Emotionally and Physically

Maurers Mechanics suck ass. Everyone talking sh1t about Bailey having a weak arm are stupid. He is a qb in the Sec that a lot of people wanted. I like Maurer but just cause a skinny kid can run a bit and throw it maybe a little further doesnt mean hes a better player. More to it than arm strength and movement at the QB position. Bailey is more accurate and not as fragile. Emotionally and Physically
Honestly I'm not even sure where this idea that Maurer can throw it deeper comes from. Did I miss a throwing competition or something? Are these presumptions from Elite 11 performances perhaps? I dont think either have superior arm strength.

With a qb that CANT beat you with his legs, a good defense will force said qb to beat them with his arm in tight windows. Which means arm strength, quick release and a lack of hesitation becomes ridiculously critical. Bailey has yet to prove he can hit tight windows with the “zip” he would need in those situations. Maybe he can, but he hasn’t shown it yet

Yes he most certainly has. His arm strength is fine. I can make you quite a few QBs who didn’t have elite arm strength that made great QBs. Maurer can’t beat anyone with his legs either. He has yet to prove that. Hooker has yet to prove it at TN. Bottom line is right now, Bailey looks much better.

Yes he most certainly has. His arm strength is fine. I can make you quite a few QBs who didn’t have elite arm strength that made great QBs. Maurer can’t beat anyone with his legs either. He has yet to prove that. Hooker has yet to prove it at TN. Bottom line is right now, Bailey looks much better.
Ok man. Whatever you say

I've masticated and ruminated on the Milton transfer and even if Salter leaves, I'm not seeing the upside for TN with Milton. Especially now.

While folks here can argue over the arms of Bailey, Maurer, and Hooker....... I'm hoping Coach Heupel had some idea that French and Washington were thinking of leaving (or being shown the door) before Milton's film was vetted.

If Heupel's not done that, he DEFINITELY needs to reach out to Willis, touch base, get a read on his intentions, etc....... and Vol fans with weak hearts need get their affairs in order.......

I've masticated and ruminated on the Milton transfer and even if Salter leaves, I'm not seeing the upside for TN with Milton. Especially now.

While folks here can argue over the arms of Bailey, Maurer, and Hooker....... I'm hoping Coach Heupel had some idea that French and Washington were thinking of leaving (or being shown the door) before Milton's film was vetted.

If Heupel's not done that, he DEFINITELY needs to reach out to Willis, touch base, get a read on his intentions, etc....... and Vol fans with weak hearts need get their affairs in order.......
Just curious but what does Willis and French leaving have to do with Milton. I’m not sure of the connection in your post.

Just curious but what does Willis and French leaving have to do with Milton. I’m not sure of the connection in your post.
I had just seen French hit the portal. Agreed, it had nothing to do with Milton. Willis and Salter remain from that incident and I think Salter is likely to leave.

If Heupel wants Willis, he should reach out.

I'm trying to figure out where this narrative got created that Bailey is the "safe" choice simply because he doesn't recklessly throw passes into coverage. Instead, he completes 70%+ of his passes while still throwing the ball downfield.
He appears to be the safe option, but.......he only faced the number 1 defense once (TD drive), as opposed to Mauer(4 times, 1 TD), and Hooker (3 times, 1 td). Bailey went 73 yds deep against a walk-on DB, and then hit VJ wide open, on a completely blown coverage (Kudos for seeing it so quickly). Add to that, Hooker was obviously told to stay in the pocket, as much as possible. Otherwise he would've gashed the defense, several times. It was nothing more than smoke and mirrors. Designed to fire up the fan base, for a red hot passing attack. It worked, for the most part. Even Billy Ratliff said that Mauer and Hooker facing the first team defense more than Bailey is DEFINITE SIGN that Bailey IS NOT THE GUY, at this point.

He appears to be the safe option, but.......he only faced the number 1 defense once (TD drive), as opposed to Mauer(4 times, 1 TD), and Hooker (3 times, 1 td). Bailey went 73 yds deep against a walk-on DB, and then hit VJ wide open, on a completely blown coverage (Kudos for seeing it so quickly). Add to that, Hooker was obviously told to stay in the pocket, as much as possible. Otherwise he would've gashed the defense, several times. It was nothing more than smoke and mirrors. Designed to fire up the fan base, for a red hot passing attack. It worked, for the most part. Even Billy Ratliff said that Mauer and Hooker facing the first team defense more than Bailey is DEFINITE SIGN that Bailey IS NOT THE GUY, at this point.
I definitely wont be surprised if Harrison Bailey leaves Tennessee very soon. I do not think he will stay at UT to be 3rd string.

Reactions: whodeycin85
I like HB and think that he has alot of upside. I think that in a perfect world , the QB that can get the ball out of his hands in 2.5 seconds is the ideal QB regardless as to if he runs like Dan Marino or Michel Vick . The issue with making a decision based on the O&W game is simple. We play our defense . We played our defense when many of our starters did not participate. We played our starter less defense that played vanilla football . The was mostly base coverage with no scheming per se.

I think when it comes to the SEC portion of our schedule , it may not be practical to get the ball out in 2.5 seconds and rushing yards will be harder to come by . I think escapability , extending plays , and the ability to attack the C gaps with QB designed runs becomes more valuable .

This is not to say that that I am not all for HB to be successful , but the OW game really just showed us what is just a step up from "routes on air"

Reactions: whodeycin85

VN Store

Back