Those saying Bailey would be odd man out and transfer.......

I dont any will leave cause they all are in play till game 1 ... At the end of 2022 youll see 2+ leave

I agree. I am. But there’s no doubt in my mind that if we got behind him and he felt welcomed, he would show everyone what I already know.
I hope you aren't blaming BM's inconsistency and bi-polar play on us, the fans, for not welcoming him. I like BM. He's all or nothing. I still say he's crippled after 4 games. But, I think he's QB1, on opening day, vs Bowling Green. He'll give his all for Tennessee. Hopefully, he'll live through it.

I hope you aren't blaming BM's inconsistency and bi-polar play on us, the fans, for not welcoming him. I like BM. He's all or nothing. I still say he's crippled after 4 games. But, I think he's QB1, on opening day, vs Bowling Green. He'll give his all for Tennessee. Hopefully, he'll live through it.
Not at all. He’s his own person and truth be told, he could care less how people feel about him. It actually fuels him. However it’s only natural to feel more wanted when fans are not cussing him out but rather supporting him. You gotta understand what he’s gone through. Pruitt had everyone convinced that JG actually BEAT him out. But he knew the job would be GIVEN to JG. Remember the tweet last year where there was a pole taken prior to the season about who would be the starting quarterback? He faced serious ridicule because he responded to it with “My vote is JG”. The fans erupted on him as if he’d given it up. Little did they know, he knew the truth because HE was living it.

All I’m saying is he pays attention to social media like most athletes do. He knows the majority of fans are against him starting. So if he does beat those guys out and he feels welcomed, he’ll be better for it BECAUSE of what it took to get there.

And BTW. As much as I appreciate you recognizing him, I gotta say I take offense to this kind of talk. People “label” his aggressiveness as “inconsistent” but he’s no more inconsistent than any other qb that’s played that way. Gunslingers miss some. They make mistakes too. Even as pros that’s true. So I wouldn’t call it “bipolar” play.

Personally I’d never use the word or prediction of “crippled”. I know you don’t mean it that way but it just sounds as disgusting as “I hope he LIVES through it”

Reactions: kbear01 and volfan8
I know many think they know who will be the quarterback for Fall, and there is a ton of love going around for Bailey who did well in a scrimmage. Many have their favorites and will spin it whatever way they can to prove their favorite is winning the competition. I think this QB battle is wide open and I believe Coach Heupel when he says, "“I’ve been through enough quarterback battles as a player or a coach to know that there’s so much time as you leave spring ball. We’ve had 15 practices. We’re going to have a lot more than that when we get to training camp.” I don't think we know who the QB will be.

What is telling for me is Coach Heupel felt compelled to burn a spot to add Joe Milton (after the O&W game). Milton is a player that Heupel recruited while he was at Missouri as the OC. If he was sold on any of our QBs, then I don't think he would have added another one to the room.

HB was recruited by Heupel when he was at Missouri as well. Maurer had an offer from UCF though it doesn't list the recruiter. Heupel is familiar with several of our potential QB1s.

I'll say this, HB is more comforting for me to watch than Maurer. Maurer is more exciting for sure, but I get nervous every time he takes off with the ball. To me, HB is more poised, just calm and confident. Brian would calm me down a bit if he would at least try to tuck the ball in when he takes off. I also think he takes off too early, forgoing other options.

Brian is talented and obviously fearless. I just don't think we can afford much in the way of QB mistakes this year and I think he tries to force plays at times.

Reactions: 1vol8
I'll say this, HB is more comforting for me to watch than Maurer. Maurer is more exciting for sure, but I get nervous every time he takes off with the ball. To me, HB is more poised, just calm and confident. Brian would calm me down a bit if he would at least try to tuck the ball in when he takes off. I also think he takes off too early, forgoing other options.

Brian is talented and obviously fearless. I just don't think we can afford much in the way of QB mistakes this year and I think he tries to force plays at times.
That’s fair. But he’s never going to change. I agree with you though believe it or not. He keeps you on the edge of your seat. That being said, I think it should be obvious that the good plays outweigh the bad ones in terms of how many good plays vs how many bad ones.

Reactions: sona
That’s fair. But he’s never going to change. I agree with you though believe it or not. He keeps you on the edge of your seat. That being said, I think it should be obvious that the good plays outweigh the bad ones in terms of how many good plays vs how many bad ones.

He is fun to watch no doubt. I usually prefer the balls-out gunslinger mentality because it is exciting to watch and I definitely wouldn't want to play against him. I just hope he can temper it a little bit. I'm fine if he just tucks the ball better and stops trying to run through people.

He is fun to watch no doubt. I usually prefer the balls-out gunslinger mentality because it is exciting to watch and I definitely wouldn't want to play against him. I just hope he can temper it a little bit. I'm fine if he just tucks the ball better and stops trying to run through people.
He normally does tuck the ball when he’s about to take contact or in traffic but Idk where he picked that up tbh. He did it when he was young and I thought we had it under control but I guess he’s picking up old/bad habits.

And it’s just the spring game but you can take SOME things from it. It seems he learned to live to fight another day by throwing the ball away if he doesn’t see what he likes instead of forcing what’s not there. To me that was huge. However, I can also see that it won’t change who he is when he seen the window in traffic to Calloway. He fit it in there and it should’ve been caught because we can’t afford for receivers to “hear foot steps”.

I’ll never deny that he’ll make you nervous with his playing style. But I will tell you that UT will never beat UF, UGA or Bama with anything less than someone willing to take those chances. If Heupel wants safe, Bailey or Hooker is his guy imo. Brian can improve on it but I doubt he’ll ever be a “manager”.

Reactions: sona
Don’t know anybody who’s ever claimed he’s the GOAT...so I guess errybody joins your Tribes of Israel level journey through the desert.

I feel sorry for you that life is such a literal journey. Believing that every word written is like the instructions to put your new grill together must be tiresome.

Friendly advice...learn about literary license and nuance. You will be a much less combative and much happier person.

And BTW. As much as I appreciate you recognizing him, I gotta say I take offense to this kind of talk. People “label” his aggressiveness as “inconsistent” but he’s no more inconsistent than any other qb that’s played that way. Gunslingers miss some. They make mistakes too. Even as pros that’s true. So I wouldn’t call it “bipolar” play.

Personally I’d never use the word or prediction of “crippled”. I know you don’t mean it that way but it just sounds as disgusting as “I hope he LIVES through it”
I do not live to be offended. Try it sometime. Life is so much better.

Last edited:
Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN
I think it hilarious that everyone for the last 3 years complained about JG and the safe offense...checkdowns....saying we need aggressive QB play....but now we have a QB who showed aggressive play and one who took advantage of broken coverage and walkon mismatches which will not happen alot if at all during real games. HB did what he was supposed to...dropped a dime or 2..but it is alot easier to hit a WR when no DB is within 10 feet.......so do we want aggressive or do we want a safe...Im confused

I think it hilarious that everyone for the last 3 years complained about JG and the safe offense...checkdowns....saying we need aggressive QB play....but now we have a QB who showed aggressive play and one who took advantage of broken coverage and walkon mismatches which will not happen alot if at all during real games. HB did what he was supposed to...dropped a dime or 2..but it is alot easier to hit a WR when no DB is within 10 feet.......so do we want aggressive or do we want a safe...Im confused
VN wants perfection. Anything less = “I told you so”

I feel sorry for you that life is such a literal journey. Believing that every word written is like the instructions to put your new grill together must be tiresome.

Friendly advice...learn about literary license and nuance. You will be a much less combative and much happier person.
Save your pity for your wife...and I ain’t your friend. Buzz off.

If you’re talking about the 72 yarder? The walk-on was draped all over the other walk-on.

To my knowledge ive never interacted with you until this thread.

My reason is that guys like you and the HB or bust guys simply sow discord among the fans..and it continues until one group prefers failure of the other guy more than success of the team.
How specifically is defending one or all of them against unfair criticism and conclusions "sowing discord".

PS- Glad you have a short memory too.

Carry on...it is none of.my business. Was simply trying to point out how your urge to dedend Brian in against any who do less tham praise him.
I HAVE CRITICIZED HIM. I don't expect people to not criticize one or all. But as you rightly point out, some have chosen a horse and filter everything that any of them do through that filter. His problems all come down to judgment imo. Under pressure, he seems to trust his arm too much and throw into trouble. I think he's made progress but that's still an issue.

He also doesn't seem to read as quickly as Bailey and get down to his short reads in time to throw them well. Bailey has a distinct advantage there. IMO Hooker has an advantage there too.

After ruminating on the spring game... if I were forced to hazard a guess about who would be the starter now... it would still be Hooker. He went out first with the 1's. He got the most snaps and throws with the 1's. He appeared to manage the O very well.

With regard to the other camp...after last years total love fest with HB i gave up in that crowd. Any who questioned HB or said he was less than the greatest recruit ever was treated as a pariah. I gave up on slowing those guys down last season...

But...if your missions is to defend your favorite guy...go ahead. IMO little positive comes from these type things
I've been on this board a while. I have never changed screen names so anything I've ever posted is still there somewhere.

We influence each others' opinions. Sometimes small ways... sometimes big. Sometimes in the opposite direction of what we intend. But the only lasting "good" I know of is the recreation of Vol football banter and ultimately the collective passion we as a group have for seeing UT successful again.

Milton has the tools to be a good QB.

He's being brought in to legitimately compete. Because we need better than what we saw this past Saturday...
IMHO: He is being brought in to compete. He will struggle to rise about #4 unless one of the current three leave. He is a hedge against the likelihood that Salter is gone and/or one of the others is leaving.

I think it is important not only to realize that Milton's season went south last year after the first two games but also who they chose to replace him as the QB of the future. McNamara wasn't superman. He had a great game against a terrible Rutgers team and was under 50% vs PSU. In short, he was beaten out by a guy... who probably would not be the starter in UT's current group.

I'm not pulling against anyone. Milton has the physical tools to be developed into a good QB just like the other three do. But you will probably be disappointed if you are looking for him to come in and show "better" than what we saw from the QB's last weekend.

As a group with the 1's vs the 1's... they were 19 of 24 for 276 yds. That's not bad while doing a rotation like they did.

Reactions: LittleVol and 1vol8
IMHO: He is being brought in to compete. He will struggle to rise about #4 unless one of the current three leave. He is a hedge against the likelihood that Salter is gone and/or one of the others is leaving.

I think it is important not only to realize that Milton's season went south last year after the first two games but also who they chose to replace him as the QB of the future. McNamara wasn't superman. He had a great game against a terrible Rutgers team and was under 50% vs PSU. In short, he was beaten out by a guy... who probably would not be the starter in UT's current group.

I'm not pulling against anyone. Milton has the physical tools to be developed into a good QB just like the other three do. But you will probably be disappointed if you are looking for him to come in and show "better" than what we saw from the QB's last weekend.

As a group with the 1's vs the 1's... they were 19 of 24 for 276 yds. That's not bad while doing a rotation like they did.
I dont anticipate him to show better. I anticipate him to push the others to show better.

I like Maurer and Bailey, but they both need to continue to improve their weaknesses.

Reactions: sjt18

I feel like BM and HB could both have us competing in games. I admit that Maurer is more fun to watch, more dynamic, etc.

I see Bailey as a professional chauefur, smooth ride with no surprises. Maurer is akin to riding along in a stolen Ferrari. Hell of a lot more fun, but you could end up paying the price.

I just want to win and not lose games because of a couple of bad choices.

I would honestly prefer to see Maurer lead the team because I expect some shockingly good things to happen with him. He just has to learn when to shut the play down and live another day. He plays like the whole game like a two minute drill.

I would much prefer to lose a game because we were going wide open on the O and got bit than to lose because we played it safe.

Conflicted I guess. Whatever, GBO!

VN Store

Back