Those saying Bailey would be odd man out and transfer.......

You keep
You are drawing an ironclad conclusion based on a small fraction of the facts.

And yeah, it does matter who he's throwing against. I'm not criticizing him for it. He took advantage which is what you hope your QB will do. But let's say that's UGA's secondary rather than UT's scout team. Will they cover tighter? Will that change HB's decisions? Where does that leave him if the best option is to run? You also have to look at who his success came against last year.... and Maurer's the year before for that matter and Hooker's at VT. It all matters.

FWIW, it wasn't the downfield stuff that made his numbers look good last year. He was 42 of 51 for 469 yards in throws that traveled less than 15 yards. That's valuable and important. You'd obviously rather have consistency hitting those throws. But he was 5 of 15 in throws that traveled further than 15 yards for 110 yards. That is good. Not great. So it isn't his performance last year throwing the ball downfield that "proves" he's the best throwing deep. Against the #1 D, Bailey had one deep throw for 37 yards according to the stats on UTSports.com. Maurer had the deep throw to Hyatt for 45 yards. So that doesn't prove your argument either.
You keep talking about the spring game defense. I said it doesnt matter who it was bc it doesnt. If you can throw you can throw man idc whose defense it is. He took reps for the Orange Team and the White team, so idk where yal are getting this 3rd team stuff from. Either way the other Qb's still faced the same competition and they didnt look like him. The fact that they look how they did against a depleted defense says alot. That makes your 1st team 3rd team argument bs bc mostly everybody on defense were backups. He was perfect on throws for the white team and lit it up with the orange team. He had more total yards then Hooker & Mauer combined. That's just the spring game but we have seen all 3 guys play in live action before. U aint winning with Hooker throwing 25+ times a game. BM is the ideal Qb for this offense but he is far too inconsistent to be trusted. You can bring up his 45 yard pass and its still doesnt matter bc he aint consistent. I actually dont think you understand my argument so I'll be clear. Hooker is probably the 4th best passer on the team. BM has the skillset but makes poor decisions, which is like putting air in a tire that has a hole in it. Bailey looks like the best QB in the spring and he looked like the best QB last year when he got to play. U can throw out all the stats you want but Bailey is still a better passer then those guys and there is no question that he is a better decision maker then both guys.

With a qb that CANT beat you with his legs, a good defense will force said qb to beat them with his arm in tight windows. Which means arm strength, quick release and a lack of hesitation becomes ridiculously critical. Bailey has yet to prove he can hit tight windows with the “zip” he would need in those situations. Maybe he can, but he hasn’t shown it yet
QB's that dont run beat you with their head bro. I dont need to run if I know were to go with the ball.I havent seen hesitation from him at all. In fact he gets through his progressions faster then the other Qb's so the ball is typically gone. The checkdown pass has been his legs through his 4 live games I've seen, but the kid aint a statue. He aint running for a 70yard TD but he moves well enough to move the chains. 2nd we talking about college football dude, not the NFL. There are no tight windows, thats why jonny appleseed can walk in off the street and throw for 700 in a game with Texas Tech. His arm strength is just fine, i dnt really know what you guys are seeing but accuracy is far more important and the kid looks pretty accurate to me. For all the things you just said about him those same things can be asked about the other guys. When has Hooker or Mauer shown they can CONSISTENTLY make basic throws, forget tight throws?? You talking about arm strength & release smh. Accuracy, Anticipation, and understanding the defenses you are facing will help way more then just throwing the ball 80 yards really fast.

With a qb that CANT beat you with his legs, a good defense will force said qb to beat them with his arm in tight windows. Which means arm strength, quick release and a lack of hesitation becomes ridiculously critical. Bailey has yet to prove he can hit tight windows with the “zip” he would need in those situations. Maybe he can, but he hasn’t shown it yet

QB doesn't have to be able to beat you every play. Know you've been in on Maurer since he committed, but Bailey showed willingness to scramble for a few series to keep the defense honest. And the things you mentioned Bailey has had a handful of games with a staff on their way out of town to play with. Maurer has had two years and never really progressed due to constant injuries.

Regardless, the Tennessee QB room is in great shape. Bailey will thrive under this system.

You keep

You keep talking about the spring game defense. I said it doesnt matter who it was bc it doesnt. If you can throw you can throw man idc whose defense it is. He took reps for the Orange Team and the White team, so idk where yal are getting this 3rd team stuff from. Either way the other Qb's still faced the same competition and they didnt look like him. The fact that they look how they did against a depleted defense says alot. That makes your 1st team 3rd team argument bs bc mostly everybody on defense were backups. He was perfect on throws for the white team and lit it up with the orange team. He had more total yards then Hooker & Mauer combined. That's just the spring game but we have seen all 3 guys play in live action before. U aint winning with Hooker throwing 25+ times a game. BM is the ideal Qb for this offense but he is far too inconsistent to be trusted. You can bring up his 45 yard pass and its still doesnt matter bc he aint consistent. I actually dont think you understand my argument so I'll be clear. Hooker is probably the 4th best passer on the team. BM has the skillset but makes poor decisions, which is like putting air in a tire that has a hole in it. Bailey looks like the best QB in the spring and he looked like the best QB last year when he got to play. U can throw out all the stats you want but Bailey is still a better passer then those guys and there is no question that he is a better decision maker then both guys.
I don’t have a problem with your post but I’m not sure it’s entirely accurate. Bailey did not have twice the amount of Maurer and Hooker combined. Maurers rushing yards totaled another 50 yards added to his 171 passing. It can also be argued (if were being honest) that Maurer probably should’ve had another 60+ passing yards on the two drops that were perfectly thrown. People don’t have to like it but Maurer played every bit as good as Bailey but because Bailey was the 5*, he’s getting the credit.

You keep

You keep talking about the spring game defense. I said it doesnt matter who it was bc it doesnt. If you can throw you can throw man idc whose defense it is.
Did you think this through before hitting "post reply"? Of course it matters. There is a HUGE drop off between the guys who played DB for the "white" team and the scout team guys who played for the orange team. Are you really saying that the talent and skill of the opposing players doesn't make any difference?

He took reps for the Orange Team and the White team, so idk where yal are getting this 3rd team stuff from.
Because UTSports lists every drive AND gives stats for the QB's when playing with each unit. I didn't say 3rd team. I said scout team because that's exactly what a lot of the guys on the "orange" team are. Jancek and the DB's he caught passes against have very, very little chance of playing this fall except in mop up. Unless I'm mistaken the DB's on HB's 72 yd TD pass aren't scholarship players.

Either way the other Qb's still faced the same competition and they didnt look like him.
Take a look at the UTSports stats for the O&W game. You are 100% wrong. Hooker ONLY took snaps against the 1's. He was 10/14 for about 111 with a TD and a pick. Maurer was 5/6 for 100 yds. Bailey was 4/4 for 65 yds. Hooker was given more than 3 times the attempts vs the 1's as Bailey was.

The fact that they look how they did against a depleted defense says alot. That makes your 1st team 3rd team argument bs bc mostly everybody on defense were backups.
Not sure why you insist on deluding yourself... but have at it.

He was perfect on throws for the white team and lit it up with the orange team.
It is much easier to be "perfect" against less talented defenders. He did well in his few chances vs the 1's too. I'm not criticizing him... just trying to make it an oranges to oranges comparison. You for some reason refuse to do that. You have vested yourself in HB and won't see or hear anything else.

He had more total yards then Hooker & Mauer combined.
He had a little more than half what Hooker had vs the 1's and a third less than Maurer. I know that's not convenient to your narrative... but the white D was much more competitive and talented than the orange D.

I can't tell you why he got less reps with the 1's than Hooker. I can't tell you why Maurer and Bailey essentially split time with the orange and white while Hooker only played with the white. I cannot tell you exactly what it means... but it likely means "something" that contradicts your belief.

That's just the spring game but we have seen all 3 guys play in live action before.
In college, which is ALL that matters at this point... have you seen any more than the rest of us? If so... when and how?

U aint winning with Hooker throwing 25+ times a game.
He threw 14 times in the O&W game in what amounted to less than a half... and couldn't really run which is a part of his game. If you add the run and stretch it out... he would have thrown about 30 times and been over 200 yds plus rushing yards.

BM is the ideal Qb for this offense but he is far too inconsistent to be trusted.
Is he? He is still streaky but is definitely improved.
You can bring up his 45 yard pass and its still doesnt matter bc he aint consistent.
He was 5/6 running with the 1's. That matters. It isn't a stretch to say that he might have a better rapport with the #1 WR's than with guys like Jancek. I don't think he's consistent enough either... but they're not playing tomorrow. He is GREATLY improved over what he was in 2019. He's coachable. On his current trajectory... you are WAY premature in writing him off.

I actually dont think you understand my argument so I'll be clear. Hooker is probably the 4th best passer on the team. BM has the skillset but makes poor decisions, which is like putting air in a tire that has a hole in it. Bailey looks like the best QB in the spring and he looked like the best QB last year when he got to play. U can throw out all the stats you want but Bailey is still a better passer then those guys and there is no question that he is a better decision maker then both guys.
I understand just fine. Disagree on Hooker's passing but that's really beside the point. You are drawing a conclusion NOW based on WAY too little actual information... about who WILL win the job at the end of August. Plus you've talked yourself into believing things that just aren't so or else aren't very relevant.

I'm not against Bailey. If he ends up being the guy then I'll be happy because I believe he will have beaten out 2, possibly even 4, very good QB's.

I don't get the arguments about which QB threw against which string defense. The rest of the offense was the same string as the defense they were playing against on that particular possession....watch footwork, progressions, ball placement etc of the three QBs.

Long story short Bailey vs Maurer this fall and don't be surprised if they both aren't still battling it out the first part of season. It's close right now and I expect it to be close through fall camp if both stay healthy.

Think we can all agree Hooker is distant 3rd and Milton is just depth.

QB's that dont run beat you with their head bro. I dont need to run if I know were to go with the ball.I havent seen hesitation from him at all. In fact he gets through his progressions faster then the other Qb's so the ball is typically gone. The checkdown pass has been his legs through his 4 live games I've seen, but the kid aint a statue. He aint running for a 70yard TD but he moves well enough to move the chains. 2nd we talking about college football dude, not the NFL. There are no tight windows, thats why jonny appleseed can walk in off the street and throw for 700 in a game with Texas Tech. His arm strength is just fine, i dnt really know what you guys are seeing but accuracy is far more important and the kid looks pretty accurate to me. For all the things you just said about him those same things can be asked about the other guys. When has Hooker or Mauer shown they can CONSISTENTLY make basic throws, forget tight throws?? You talking about arm strength & release smh. Accuracy, Anticipation, and understanding the defenses you are facing will help way more then just throwing the ball 80 yards really fast.
What I’m saying is Bailey doesn’t have the capability of taking over a game with his legs if he had to. Never said he was a statue. And he hasn’t shown the ability or arm strength to fit into tight windows of a good covering defense either. Personally, I think Maurer just scares people because of how aggressive he is. It has NOTHING to do with “consistency” as so many like to attach it to. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, if Maurer is going to be expected to play error free to win some over and lose the “inconsistent” narrative, hang it up. Hell never be what we call “smooth and steady”. He’s going to attack your defense downfield and sometimes that’s going to cost him. On the flip side, he’ll more than likely put more points on the board than any of our other options.

Reactions: jarnol32
What I’m saying is Bailey doesn’t have the capability of taking over a game with his legs if he had to.
Neither does Maurer nor Hooker nor Milton. None of these guys is a Joshua Dobbs or Johnny Manziel. Is Maurer a little more mobile than Bailey? Yes. However, I think his decision making is poorer, and he doesn't go through his progressions as well as Bailey does. Maurer tends to either throw the ball to an open receiver, throw it into coverage or take off and run before he gets deep into his progressions. Too often it's option #2. Also, as you even admitted yourself, it's not like Bailey is a statue back there. He has already proved in actual games as a true freshman that he can scramble for first downs.

Last edited:
Reactions: butchna
What I’m saying is Bailey doesn’t have the capability of taking over a game with his legs if he had to. Never said he was a statue. And he hasn’t shown the ability or arm strength to fit into tight windows of a good covering defense either. Personally, I think Maurer just scares people because of how aggressive he is. It has NOTHING to do with “consistency” as so many like to attach it to. I’ve said this before and I’ll say it again, if Maurer is going to be expected to play error free to win some over and lose the “inconsistent” narrative, hang it up. Hell never be what we call “smooth and steady”. He’s going to attack your defense downfield and sometimes that’s going to cost him. On the flip side, he’ll more than likely put more points on the board than any of our other options.
Exactly! Maurer is a high risk, but high reward guy. Which seems like what you would want if you have a suspect defense and are trying to outscore everyone. Bailey is more of a game manager type that Pruitt wanted.

Reactions: 1vol8
Exactly! Maurer is a high risk, but high reward guy. Which seems like what you would want if you have a suspect defense and are trying to outscore everyone. Bailey is more of a game manager type that Pruitt wanted.
That’s all I’m trying to say and some people think that means I’m against Bailey. 🤦‍♂️

That’s all I’m trying to say and some people think that means I’m against Bailey. 🤦‍♂️
You don't know what type of a QB Bailey, Maurer, Hooker, Milton, Smith is in Heupel's offense until they are running it. Everyone clamoring for "their" guy to win the job because of exhibit a, b, c, and d.

I wasn't excited about the hire but one thing i give CJH 100% trust in it's QBs. Much more trust than I put into any gurus on a forum.

I rewatched the game today with only looking at the defense on each play (looped each possession to see who was doing what). I am now more convinced it is a wide open QB race and the QB numbers don't tell the whole story. I was encouraged to see the offensive get lined up and the plays off efficiently. I know Heupel said, "we’re nowhere near our complete playbook," so I am excited to see how much more the offense grows over the summer. I think we will put up some points this year.

Reactions: butchna
You don't know what type of a QB Bailey, Maurer, Hooker, Milton, Smith is in Heupel's offense until they are running it. Everyone clamoring for "their" guy to win the job because of exhibit a, b, c, and d.

I wasn't excited about the hire but one thing i give CJH 100% trust in it's QBs. Much more trust than I put into any gurus on a forum.
That’s just it. I’m not clamoring for anyone. However I’m not going to NOT face facts either. It’s easy to jump to conclusions based on Baileys performance but WHO he was playing against DOES play a part in success. Also, after Maurers performance, I find it unfair that he showed drastic improvement in decision making and yet STILL being called inconsistent and erratic. When the kid goes 9/15 with two drops, two throw aways and a batted ball at the line it only leaves one pass to support that claim. That’s absolute ridiculousness!

Funny....... did I post here last year? The year before?
Uhhh...yes! Coincidentally the same time frame Maurer’s been on the roster. What point did you think you had on me? 🤨

Uhhh...yes! Coincidentally the same time frame Maurer’s been on the roster. What point did you think you had on me? 🤨
Once again butchna, you’re not making a point. I’ve told you before we all came for a reason. Some born into it, some because of a certain player or team. You really think I’m offended because I became a fan of UT because of Brian? Nope. By calling me “less than” , you’re saying the same of those who are fans today because of Manning. You’re also saying you’re dead set against new fandom UNLESS born into it. THIS is why I think you’re the worst kind of fan to represent the team.

Okay. I usually don't try to call someone out like this, but that just strikes me as very dishonest.
I personally think Maurer is the most talented with the most upside. That’s no secret. But it’s not my system and not my team. Heupel will make that call on his own without my opinions. I was never “against” JG and I won’t be “against” whoever he chooses to run HIS system.

VN Store

Back