Those saying Bailey would be odd man out and transfer.......

The thing is the other guys can throw just not good enough to fully run the offense. Heupel is going to want to push the ball down field. The qb shouldnt have to run much bc the ball should be gone. Heupel's Qb's dont put up big rushing numbers in his system. Bailey is mobile enough the kid aint a statue.
The others ran the offense just fine.

You are allowing what Bailey did vs the scout team to influence your conclusion too much. When leading the "white" team against the "white D"... Hooker was 10/14 for something like 130, a TD, and and INT. Maurer was 5/6 for 100 yds. Bailey was 4/4 for 65 yds. They ALL played well with the 1's.

It is great and not meaningless that HB did well vs the 2's... you just have to keep the competition in perspective.

You can’t be serious. Is that supposed to be blue font?
Im serious as a heartbeat. When have you seen Hooker throw 30 to 40 times in a game?? He is going to have to do that often in this offense and im not sure he could get you over 200yards passing a game. He is a great athlete but unless we going triple option he aint it. BM is highly capable but he makes far too many mental mistakes. So yeah I ment what I said Hooker or BM cant out throw Bailey and we would get much more out of the offense with Bailey.

The others ran the offense just fine.

You are allowing what Bailey did vs the scout team to influence your conclusion too much. When leading the "white" team against the "white D"... Hooker was 10/14 for something like 130, a TD, and and INT. Maurer was 5/6 for 100 yds. Bailey was 4/4 for 65 yds. They ALL played well with the 1's.

It is great and not meaningless that HB did well vs the 2's... you just have to keep the competition in perspective.
Im not going off the spring game, i'm going off what my eyes have shown me in actual live games. I've seen Hooker, Milton, Mauer, & Bailey in live action. I know its different systems but every system has downfield plays. Idc who HB was throwing against in the spring game I've seen him throw it in the SEC. Hooker didnt light it up against our secondary that many believe is suspect anyway. I love Mauer but i cant trust him. Bailey is the better QB of that group. Bottomline is you need to be able to CONSISTENTLY THROW the ball downfield in this offense. Bailey does that better then they do and it appears that he gets through his progressions faster then at least 2 of them for the moment. We'll see about Milton but I would attach my wagon to Bailey and never look back.

Jury is still out. One thing I’ve learned after a few years is that you’re never as good as you think you are, and you’re not as bad as you think you are. Which definitely applies to football.

Reactions: Border Vol
He beat up on the scout team guys.

Versus the 1's, Hooker played more downs and went out first. He threw 14 times vs 6 for Maurer and only 4 for Bailey.

I'm not trying to dismiss what Bailey did. He made good decisions and got the ball out. But the competition matters. He had 65 yards vs the #1 D... and about 200 vs the #2 D. Maurer performed better vs the 1's and MUCH worse vs the 2's. Hooker... didn't play against the 2's. Make of that whatever you will.

I get your love for Brian but everyone on VN knows your thoughts on Bailey and Mauer. There's really no need to defend Brian in every post that doesnt laud his praises.

Personally i dont care who starts, only that they're productive. Wish folks wouldnt choose sides on the qb battle and would simply be excited about who was trotted out there. Otherwise they end up celebrating the interceptions the other guy throws.

Just MO

Im serious as a heartbeat. When have you seen Hooker throw 30 to 40 times in a game?? He is going to have to do that often in this offense and im not sure he could get you over 200yards passing a game. He is a great athlete but unless we going triple option he aint it. BM is highly capable but he makes far too many mental mistakes. So yeah I ment what I said Hooker or BM cant out throw Bailey and we would get much more out of the offense with Bailey.
Ok. I may have read it wrong. I thought you were suggesting Maurer isn’t capable of making all the throws required to operate in this offense. As far as physical capabilities I disagree. But I understand that some will never trust him.

I get your love for Brian but everyone on VN knows your thoughts on Bailey and Mauer. There's really no need to defend Brian in every post that doesnt laud his praises.

Personally i dont care who starts, only that they're productive. Wish folks wouldnt choose sides on the qb battle and would simply be excited about who was trotted out there. Otherwise they end up celebrating the interceptions the other guy throws.

Just MO
I agree with this. I don’t understand why we just can’t be happy that NONE of the options will be anything like we’ve seen in recent past.

Reactions: 24/7vol
I'm pulling for Bailey. I'd really like to see him take the spot and by the 3rd game, just catch fire and never look back. Also, I'm wondering if Washington State saw something in JG we missed. HAHAHAHAHA, I kid, I kid, man it was tough to get that whole sentence out.

Bailey will be QB4 at kickoff. It'll be between Mauer and Milton. Bailey will transfer. Mark it down. He really isn't the QB that Heupel wants in his system.

Reactions: Border Vol
Bailey will be QB4 at kickoff. It'll be between Mauer and Milton. Bailey will transfer. Mark it down. He really isn't the QB that Heupel wants in his system.
If that's true, then why didn't he tell him from the jump??

Reactions: kbear01
He needed QB depth, at the time. Mauer was a ??? Milton wasn't even a thought, yet. Salder was a snot-nosed 17 yr old kid, and Hooker was also a ??? I think he saw what he needed to see, in Mauer and Hooker. He saw that Bailey could burn 2nd class UT DB's, and Hooker isn't going to be a guy that makes 40 throws a game. Nothing more.

It’s funny isn’t it? I mean just watching Bailey, he looks like a much better thrower than Hooker or Maurer. I really don’t know what people are seeing in Hooker and Maurer that makes them think either one is very good.

If that's true, then why didn't he tell him from the jump??
He needed QB depth, at the time. Mauer was a ??? Milton wasn't even a thought, yet. Salder was a snot-nosed 17 yr old kid, and Hooker was also a ??? I think he saw what he needed to see, in Mauer and Hooker. He saw that Bailey could burn 2nd class UT DB's, and Hooker isn't going to be a guy that makes 40 throws a game. Nothing more.

Love for him? The ONLY reason you would say that is that it is "love" in comparison to your biases. When you all stop taking shots at him for no reason, I'll stop defending him "in every post". Recently I defended Bailey. It would be accurate to say I "love" him too. I defended Hooker too by pointing out that while fans think he performed poorly...he appeared to get the most snaps and throws with the 1's against the 1's. You can't really assess a QB who runs when they're playing tag.

I "love" the Vols. I want to see the Vols successful. I very literally want all of these guys to reach the peak of their game and for the coaches to choose the guy who plays best. Unlike many of you... I don't stake a claim to knowing which one that is. I have not drawn a conclusion about the ultimate ability of any of them. I will "love" and pull for any of them as long as they get the job done.

Prior to the O&W game, I believed that lack of mobility could lead to Bailey leaving. The way they helped him with the playcalling and his ability to process quickly and well have led me to believe he's deep in the battle and will stay. In fact, Heupel made a comment that suggests that they essentially built individual playbooks for the 3. That's different from what I have seen before and definitely helps HB's chances.

That also makes it near impossible to predict which one is leading without information directly from the coaches. They won't compare the guys to each other so much as try to figure out which one will make the O go best.

Just MO
Agree. So why do you have a problem with someone defending a Vol from baseless criticism? You can pick on something in the past of every one of these guys... Bailey included. A lot of folks here have a bias against Maurer and won't let it go.

Reactions: LittleVol
The OL looked ligtyears ahead of last year, I didn’t see a single time they looked lost or frustrated, I know the defense was vanilla but we had busts last year against less
But is that a result of improved line play or lack of DL skill/ability

Love for him? The ONLY reason you would say that is that it is "love" in comparison to your biases. When you all stop taking shots at him for no reason, I'll stop defending him "in every post". Recently I defended Bailey. It would be accurate to say I "love" him too. I defended Hooker too by pointing out that while fans think he performed poorly...he appeared to get the most snaps and throws with the 1's against the 1's. You can't really assess a QB who runs when they're playing tag.

I "love" the Vols. I want to see the Vols successful. I very literally want all of these guys to reach the peak of their game and for the coaches to choose the guy who plays best. Unlike many of you... I don't stake a claim to knowing which one that is. I have not drawn a conclusion about the ultimate ability of any of them. I will "love" and pull for any of them as long as they get the job done.

Prior to the O&W game, I believed that lack of mobility could lead to Bailey leaving. The way they helped him with the playcalling and his ability to process quickly and well have led me to believe he's deep in the battle and will stay. In fact, Heupel made a comment that suggests that they essentially built individual playbooks for the 3. That's different from what I have seen before and definitely helps HB's chances.

That also makes it near impossible to predict which one is leading without information directly from the coaches. They won't compare the guys to each other so much as try to figure out which one will make the O go best.

Agree. So why do you have a problem with someone defending a Vol from baseless criticism? You can pick on something in the past of every one of these guys... Bailey included. A lot of folks here have a bias against Maurer and won't let it go.

How many minds have you changed?

What i see is more people care about being "right all along" and will dig their heels in until they are proven wrong. Then they will blame the coaches, other players or fans. And this is both camps, the HB is the next Manning guys or the three or four that are infatuated with Brian.

IMO they both have an upside and they both have weaknesses. The good thing is we have a proven QB guy that will very likely pick the correct guy to start. And bottom line thats all that should be important to Vol fans.

Im not going off the spring game, i'm going off what my eyes have shown me in actual live games. I've seen Hooker, Milton, Mauer, & Bailey in live action. I know its different systems but every system has downfield plays. Idc who HB was throwing against in the spring game I've seen him throw it in the SEC. Hooker didnt light it up against our secondary that many believe is suspect anyway. I love Mauer but i cant trust him. Bailey is the better QB of that group. Bottomline is you need to be able to CONSISTENTLY THROW the ball downfield in this offense. Bailey does that better then they do and it appears that he gets through his progressions faster then at least 2 of them for the moment. We'll see about Milton but I would attach my wagon to Bailey and never look back.
You are drawing an ironclad conclusion based on a small fraction of the facts.

And yeah, it does matter who he's throwing against. I'm not criticizing him for it. He took advantage which is what you hope your QB will do. But let's say that's UGA's secondary rather than UT's scout team. Will they cover tighter? Will that change HB's decisions? Where does that leave him if the best option is to run? You also have to look at who his success came against last year.... and Maurer's the year before for that matter and Hooker's at VT. It all matters.

FWIW, it wasn't the downfield stuff that made his numbers look good last year. He was 42 of 51 for 469 yards in throws that traveled less than 15 yards. That's valuable and important. You'd obviously rather have consistency hitting those throws. But he was 5 of 15 in throws that traveled further than 15 yards for 110 yards. That is good. Not great. So it isn't his performance last year throwing the ball downfield that "proves" he's the best throwing deep. Against the #1 D, Bailey had one deep throw for 37 yards according to the stats on UTSports.com. Maurer had the deep throw to Hyatt for 45 yards. So that doesn't prove your argument either.

Could be the issues at LB... but this is a better DL than the one UT fielded last year. In many respects, it is the same guys with another year of development and experience... and I'd argue a better coach.

This O cannot be a "cold starting" engine. They need to have success so they can start wearing the opposing DL down. If they can get in a rhythm of 3-5 plays per minute... the OL is going to "look good" simply because the opposing DL's are winded and on their heels. It is a smart concept and maybe especially if you don't have the elite of the elite on your OL.

Reactions: LordVOLdemort
How many minds have you changed?

What i see is more people care about being "right all along" and will dig their heels in until they are proven wrong. Then they will blame the coaches, other players or fans. And this is both camps, the HB is the next Manning guys or the three or four that are infatuated with Brian.

IMO they both have an upside and they both have weaknesses. The good thing is we have a proven QB guy that will very likely pick the correct guy to start. And bottom line thats all that should be important to Vol fans.
Apparently "some" have changed their minds. Some will. Have you looked for and found the guys who regurgitate the say stuff on Maurer or Hooker and chastised them for expressing their opinions?

You don't have to read my posts. I don't plan to stop until a moderator says so or I don't have a reason to post... similar responses to similar attacks.

I don't keep score of who I've agreed or disagreed with but seem to remember us disagreeing on some things... Is that what's under your skin?

The jumping off sides, blocking "air" while letting a defender slip inside untouched, those were on the O-Line.....and I'll say specifically on the coaching because it appeared to be between their ears in confusion. I don't think they ever had confidence (even Trey) they were blocking the right play.

Reactions: LordVOLdemort
It’s funny isn’t it? I mean just watching Bailey, he looks like a much better thrower than Hooker or Maurer. I really don’t know what people are seeing in Hooker and Maurer that makes them think either one is very good.
Bro they are enamored with QB running ability but that's not what this offense is built off. Running is great but not if you are no threat to throw consistently. In the SEC they will simply force you to beat them throwing and you get JG with legs.

Bro they are enamored with QB running ability but that's not what this offense is built off. Running is great but not if you are no threat to throw consistently. In the SEC they will simply force you to beat them throwing and you get JG with legs.
With a qb that CANT beat you with his legs, a good defense will force said qb to beat them with his arm in tight windows. Which means arm strength, quick release and a lack of hesitation becomes ridiculously critical. Bailey has yet to prove he can hit tight windows with the “zip” he would need in those situations. Maybe he can, but he hasn’t shown it yet

I know many think they know who will be the quarterback for Fall, and there is a ton of love going around for Bailey who did well in a scrimmage. Many have their favorites and will spin it whatever way they can to prove their favorite is winning the competition. I think this QB battle is wide open and I believe Coach Heupel when he says, "“I’ve been through enough quarterback battles as a player or a coach to know that there’s so much time as you leave spring ball. We’ve had 15 practices. We’re going to have a lot more than that when we get to training camp.” I don't think we know who the QB will be.

What is telling for me is Coach Heupel felt compelled to burn a spot to add Joe Milton (after the O&W game). Milton is a player that Heupel recruited while he was at Missouri as the OC. If he was sold on any of our QBs, then I don't think he would have added another one to the room.

Reactions: volinthenorth
Lots of hate for our QBs still. I thought Bailey looked good in the game and made the right reads and throws. He did the same in SEV competition but kept getting pulled in the middle of games to let Shrout play.
Bailey is a better passer and better at his reads than the others.

I think we added Milton because he has an elite arm and he has potential. Does it mean he beats out Bailey or Mauer? Who knows, but we will see this fall. I am pretty happy with our QB room right now and can see this position being great for us in the next 2 years.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

VN Store

Back