This year's offense could be really good?

PulaskiVolFan

2 year returning starters at QB, RB, OL, the entire WR core plus backups with 3+ years experience plus 1 highly rated Fr WR, a freak athlete who everyone including Alabama tried to sign at TE, 2 5* Freshman OL and a highly rated exciting Fr RB added to the roster. With all of that said I believe with the coaching changes we've made on that side of the ball combined with the talent at each position our offense should easily be in the top half of the league THIS year!!

Each unit must improve, some must show big improvements for this to happen.

QB position
JG has both good and bad going for him (we've debated this enough) and his improvement is a big key if we are going to be successful on the offensive side. Chaney has helped a bunch of QBs with a lot less talent than JG, I think he'll help a ton, I think JG will get the opportunity to throw the ball more and I believe he'll put up solid numbers and finish as one of the top 5 qbs in the league. Our backups are unproven but I'd take them over past guys named Worley, Dormandy and Peterman. We are set at the QB position for 4-5 more years once you add Bailey to the mix.

OL Position
Chaney, Fulmer and contrary to several folks opinion of Friend, these are big time OL coaching minds and yes I included Coach Fulmer. If these young OL can't improve under this coaching I don't know what to think. I can see them struggling vs the DL of Al, Ga and Fl but should be able to hold their own vs everyone else. If Trey plays, Kennedy plays at a high level and the 2 Fr are are as good as advertised then this unit could actually be really good. S&C coach plays a big role in this groups improvement.

WR Position
Most disappointing group on the offensive side I feel. This group is long, athletic and physical and should be considered elite but they have underperformed I believe. They seem to take plays off every now and then as well as a few too many drops. I think we've had poor WR coaching the last few seasons and believe Tee will make a big difference in their play. Throw in a TE that checks all the boxes and the receiving group could be good. This group is gonna shine this year I feel!

RB Position
Chandler is talented, definitely an SEC upper tier type back, big play waiting to happen, reminds me a bit of Travis Stephens. Jordan and Banks are good backups, not great not bad. The wildcard is the newcomer in Gray from Memphis. If he turns out to be a playmaker then the Vols could climb their way up to middle of the pack running the football, maybe even top half of the league.

Kickers
Who knows!! They seem to be as good or better than everyone else we play.

Maybe all of that is a bit optimistic and looked at through orange shades but it sure seems realistic to me.

Injuries can be devastating, maybe neither JG or the OL gets any better and maybe every team on our schedule has record breaking years, if all of that happens we could struggle but sooner or later the ball is going to start bouncing our way again. I think it happens both this year and next. Here's to a 21-5 record the next 2 seasons, definitely orange colored shades on that prediction!

2 year returning starters at QB, RB, OL, the entire WR core plus backups with 3+ years experience plus 1 highly rated Fr WR, a freak athlete who everyone including Alabama tried to sign at TE, 2 5* Freshman OL and a highly rated exciting Fr RB added to the roster. With all of that said I believe with the coaching changes we've made on that side of the ball combined with the talent at each position our offense should easily be in the top half of the league THIS year!!

QB position
JG has both good and bad going for him (we've debated this enough) and his improvement is a big key if we are going to be successful on the offensive side. Chaney has helped a bunch of QBs with a lot less talent than JG, I think he'll help a ton, I think JG will get the opportunity to throw the ball more and I believe he'll put up solid numbers and finish as one of the top 5 qbs in the league. Our backups are unproven but I'd take them over past guys named Worley, Dormandy and Peterman. We are set at the QB position for 4-5 more years once you add Bailey to the mix.

OL Position
Chaney, Fulmer and contrary to several folks opinion of Friend, these are big time OL coaching minds and yes I included Coach Fulmer. If these young OL can't improve under this coaching I don't know what to think. I can see them struggling vs the DL of Al, Ga and Fl but should be able to hold their own vs everyone else. If Trey plays, Kennedy plays at a high level and the 2 Fr are are as good as advertised then this unit could actually be really good. S&C coach plays a big role in this groups improvement.

WR Position
Most disappointing group on the offensive side I feel. This group is long, athletic and physical and should be considered elite but they have underperformed I believe. They seem to take plays off every now and then as well as a few too many drops. I think we've had poor WR coaching the last few seasons and believe Tee will make a big difference in their play. Throw in a TE that checks all the boxes and the receiving group could be good. This group is gonna shine this year I feel!

RB Position
Chandler is talented, definitely an SEC upper tier type back, big play waiting to happen, reminds me a bit of Travis Stephens. Jordan and Banks are good backups, not great not bad. The wildcard is the newcomer in Gray from Memphis. If he turns out to be a playmaker then the Vols could climb their way up to middle of the pack running the football, maybe even top half of the league.

Kickers

Maybe all of that is a bit optimistic and looked at through orange shades but it sure seems realistic to me.

Injuries can be devastating, maybe neither JG or the OL gets any better and maybe every team on our schedule has record breaking years, if all of that happens we could struggle but sooner or later the ball is going to start bouncing our way again. I think it happens both this year and next. Here's to a 21-5 record the next 2 seasons, definitely orange colored shades on that prediction!

I wear orange colored glasses too! I could see UT going 9-3 or 8-4 this year and 10-2 or 11-1 next year in the regular season to be 21-5 in regular season play this year and next! Let's hope the OL and DL is much better than expected and there are no injuries that set progress back at all. If that is the case, your prediction and mine could come true! I am with you! I am on the Optimistic Orange Train!!! LOL

I agree with you but the problem with all of this is they just haven't done it yet. In three weeks we will all know.

No, in four weeks we will have a good idea, six weeks will show the proof in the pudding. Let's hope UT's OL and DL win most of the matches in the trenches vs UF! That game as always will tell us what kind of season UT will have!!! Well, one year it didn't. UT flops versus USC and VU after beating UF soundly. But, the used car salesman who was once a trumpet player is gone and UT now has a REAL FOOTBALL COACH!!! =)

No, in four weeks we will have a good idea, six weeks will show the proof in the pudding. Let's hope UT's OL and DL win most of the matches in the trenches vs UF! That game as always will tell us what kind of season UT will have!!! Well, one year it didn't. UT flops versus USC and VU after beating UF soundly. But, the used car salesman who was once a trumpet player is gone and UT now has a REAL FOOTBALL COACH!!! =)
Considering how we couldn't block Charlotte just being able to block anyone in three weeks is progress. I wouldn't worry about BYU or the LIZARDS if we can't block Georgia state.

Considering how we couldn't block Charlotte just being able to block anyone in three weeks is progress. I wouldn't worry about BYU or the LIZARDS if we can't block Georgia state.
What makes you think we won't be able to block Ga St? If Kennedy, Smith and the 2 new Fr are all playing at a high level it'll be a totally different line than the one we played in the scrimmage game vs Charlotte last year.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolsGrad1989
I'm tired of striving to reach "top half." Mediocrity should not be a goal. Even 2nd place is just the 1st loser. REACH for the top.

GO BIG ORANGE!
I'm not sure we have the horses to make that big of a stride in one year. I think we've improved as much or more than most of the teams on our schedule, just not enough to be the top offense in the league. I don't think our style of play would have us at the top of most offensive team stats anyway.

Reactions: CAVPUT
What makes you think we won't be able to block Ga St? If Kennedy, Smith and the 2 new Fr are all playing at a high level it'll be a totally different line than the won we played in the scrimmage game vs Charlotte last year.
Never said we could not just want to see it done. When is the last time you actually seen us with a good line. Been a while right all im saying in three weeks we will know. Volgrad said we wouldn't know until BYU or Florida game my point was if we block Georgia state we have already shown improvement.

Last edited:
Offensive Line is the BIG Question...

NO need to quote or respond to me...

Here...I’ll go ahead and help you...

giphy.gif

What makes you think we won't be able to block Ga St? If Kennedy, Smith and the 2 new Fr are all playing at a high level it'll be a totally different line than the won we played in the scrimmage game vs Charlotte last year.
Thought he made it quite clear.....our OL was thoroughly dominated last year by Charlotte. You can say it will be a totally different line, but will it? Jahmir, Ryan, Marcus, Riley Locklear, Calbert, Carvin....they’re all among the guys competing and I’m guessing at least 3 of those will start vs GaState.

QB position

OL Position

WR Position

RB Position

Kickers

Disagree about the WRs. You can't catch a ball when your QB is the bottom half of the missionary position before he can ejaculate the ball.

Last edited:

Chaney giving the OL hell at practice. Of course, it was just a show for the media.

Reactions: FLVOL_79
I really want to believe, but after watching our o-line not fire off the ball and move the man in front of them for 10 years I have my doubts. You can't let the d make first contact and expect to win the Los. We have to learn to hit someone first and drive our feet if you want to move the ball

Thought he made it quite clear.....our OL was thoroughly dominated last year by Charlotte. You can say it will be a totally different line, but will it? Jahmir, Ryan, Marcus, Riley Locklear, Calbert, Carvin....they’re all among the guys competing and I’m guessing at least 3 of those will start vs GaState.

If our line looks good the first 3 games then it shows all our problems are solved. What could possibly be different the rest of the year?

If not then it just means player X is hurt and Pruitt, Chaney, & Friend are scheming vanilla so Florida won't know what hit them.

I wouldn't look for much more than a marginal improvement from the offense. Our most noticeable improvement will be on D.

I wear orange colored glasses too! I could see UT going 9-3 or 8-4 this year and 10-2 or 11-1 next year in the regular season to be 21-5 in regular season play this year and next! Let's hope the OL and DL is much better than expected and there are no injuries that set progress back at all. If that is the case, your prediction and mine could come true! I am with you! I am on the Optimistic Orange Train!!! LOL

Hay Pulaski!! I know down here on the "line", this close to the "red elephant" herd, we are starved for any "orange" success. But top out this and next year predictions at 9-3 to 11-1?? It's bad enough having to suffer the "elephant folks" as is, so why paint yourself into an orange corner you can't get us out of? Because I am sure there are enough of "those folk" along "the line" over in your neck of the woods to make life as miserable there as it is over here. For the most part, I suffer quietly, I just find the pain a little easy to bare this way. BUT OUR DAY IS COMING SOON (i hope). Go Vols!!;)

Reactions: PulaskiVolFan

Remember "puddin" takes quiet a while to cook on the inside. It will usually look "golden done" on the top, but still simmering inside.

VN Store

Back