This year vs. last year

lvocd

Last year we finished with a final record of 19-13, including the two games in the SEC Tourney and one in the NCAA Tourney.

Right now we are 17 and 4. If we were only to have the same number of post-season games as last year, right now we have 11 total games left to win 3 to finish with a record better than last year. Again, many posters were seemingly positive that this season -- some even BEFORE the transfers and the Zaay Green injury -- would crash and burn so badly that we wouldn't even get to 19 wins.

Who here NOW thinks that we won't get to 19 wins from 17 if we play only 11 more games? Anyone?

Bueller?

BUELLER?????

To add were at this record with Westbrook, Green, Jackson, and Collins not on the team. Three of which were experienced players whom we have replaced with freshmen, a juco, and a fifth year player that had to sit out a season because of Injury. I have brought up the fact before that this staff has done more with far less experienced personnel. The facts are were not the best team in the SEC were a middle of the pack team that has the opportunity to over achieve. This next five game stretch I fear will bring out the critical group in full force. I don't know how many of this next five we can win. I am actually hoping for 2 and 3 and if we get there will be happy and if we do better will be ecstatic.

Plus, unlike last year's 19-13 team, this group has had to adapt to an entirely new staff and system. And the returnees have had to overcome the mental roadblock that last year very well could have become.

But they didn't. The new staff came in, took control AND responsibility, and the players trusted them enough to buy in. This is already a tremendously successful season, IMO, regardless of how many turnovers we average. We have improved, and we are headed in the right direction, and there is no argument anyone can bring to dispute that.

Mississippi State, Texas A&M , LSU and Arkansas are winnable games with reduced turnovers, but SC will be too much for them.

They will get better when Kelly recruits the players she and the staff feel will fit in the system. Also, hopefully we can have more quality players that stay all 4 years in the program

There are just a lot of really really bad teams out there that we have taken advantage of.

Why make these types of posts and act like you don’t know which posters said it? List their names. Y’all do that all the time on this board.

And I back Creekdipper because I can list his name. And he/she seems sane and is positive.

Highly debatable, but appreciate the sentiment.

I really enjoy the positivity and good will on this board. For the mosy part, criticism is objective and aimed at being constructive.

That demonstrates that we care and are engaged...compared to the apathy many of us (me included) felt recently.

Good group of folks!

Maria reported that Coach Lacey Goldwire has been breaking down film with Jaz to spot mistakes such as times when she passed up good looks.

Jaz said the coaches have instilled confidence by giving her the "green light" to take such shots. She doesn't hesitate now and seems like a cool assassin when we badly need a bucket.

Kudos to Jaz and the Lady Vols staff (go Lacey!) In developing Jaz's game. The negative comments aimed at her from last year have turned into praise. She's one tough cookie!

Teams that took advantage of us last year.

Surely you don"t think the Vandy team who beat us at home last year was better than tbe team we jusy beat at their place.
If some how the coaching staff can get the ladies to play like they did when McCoy and Burrell came into the Vandy game, they have a chance to win a large portion of their remaining games. As a whole the Lady Vols are not as aggressive as KJH’s prior team, if this team stop playing passive, they have the ability to go a little ways in the NCAA tournament.

Last year we finished with a final record of 19-13, including the two games in the SEC Tourney and one in the NCAA Tourney.

Right now we are 17 and 4. If we were only to have the same number of post-season games as last year, right now we have 11 total games left to win 3 to finish with a record better than last year. Again, many posters were seemingly positive that this season -- some even BEFORE the transfers and the Zaay Green injury -- would crash and burn so badly that we wouldn't even get to 19 wins.

Who here NOW thinks that we won't get to 19 wins from 17 if we play only 11 more games? Anyone?

Bueller?

BUELLER?????

U are very correct.

Its to bad they lost westbrook collins and zaay..that a lot of talent lost in such a short period of time

Correct. Each would have improved the same way the other ladies have however, Evina was starting Point for 2 years going into her third. The chemistry she’d already built with Rennia and to a lesser extent Zaay and KK is missed. We’d more than likely already have a hella lot less turnovers. Zaay when healthy under Kellie definitely would be 14/15 ppg had she not been lost this season. Collins had flashes that showed she could be really really good with a decent coach **cough** Kellie **cough**

This team would be totally different had all parties stayed and/or stayed healthy. Even with only a healthy Zaay, I don’t see this team losing to Kentucky nor Texas. Then we’re looking at a two loss team this far into the season. Yes losing Zaay is that big of a loss. She plays with swag but she had a bit of composure and control that Rae doesn’t demonstrate consistently just yet. She also would have given the team another scoring threat that has the potential to go off on you. Right now we don’t have that, it’s only Davis and players who can step up but haven’t shown the ability to be reliable second options.

I don’t think Rennia misses the chemistry one little bit.

Correct. Each would have improved the same way the other ladies have however, Evina was starting Point for 2 years going into her third. The chemistry she’d already built with Rennia and to a lesser extent Zaay and KK is missed. We’d more than likely already have a hella lot less turnovers. Zaay when healthy under Kellie definitely would be 14/15 ppg had she not been lost this season. Collins had flashes that showed she could be really really good with a decent coach **cough** Kellie **cough**

This team would be totally different had all parties stayed and/or stayed healthy. Even with only a healthy Zaay, I don’t see this team losing to Kentucky nor Texas. Then we’re looking at a two loss team this far into the season. Yes losing Zaay is that big of a loss. She plays with swag but she had a bit of composure and control that Rae doesn’t demonstrate consistently just yet. She also would have given the team another scoring threat that has the potential to go off on you. Right now we don’t have that, it’s only Davis and players who can step up but haven’t shown the ability to be reliable second options.

VN Store

Back