This Week in Things Bob Kesling Said:

roberthunter

Quiznatodd Bidness
So I went to the game on Saturday and listened to the broadcast.

Sometime in the second half Kesling started talking about the signal callers on the sideline. If you haven't seen them, it's three guys that wear three different colored hats, I think red, green, and blue. They may be Huey, Dewey, and Louie. Anyway, some other guys hold up these black screens behind them, so the signal callers stand out and are easy to spot for the players looking for the play call.

Kesling starts describing these screens, which I think he called tarps, and says they're used so the opposing players and coaches can't see the signals. To be clear, the screens are just behind the signal callers. Everyone on the field and the opposing sidelines can still see the signal callers just fine.

I had to stop for a sec and think, "Did he just say that?" I've been thinking about it periodically this week and just laughing to myself. I'm pretty sure he was the kid who closed his eyes in hide and seek so others couldn't find him.

Sometime in the second half Kesling started talking about the signal callers on the sideline. If you haven't seen them, it's three guys that wear three different colored hats, I think red, green, and blue. They may be Huey, Dewey, and Louie. Anyway, some other guys hold up these black screens behind them, so the signal callers stand out and are easy to spot for the players looking for the play call.

Kesling starts describing these screens, which I think he called tarps, and says they're used so the opposing players and coaches can't see the signals. To be clear, the screens are just behind the signal callers. Everyone on the field and the opposing sidelines can still see the signal callers just fine.

I had to stop for a sec and think, "Did he just say that?" I've been thinking about it periodically this week and just laughing to myself. I'm pretty sure he was the kid who closed his eyes in hide and seek so others couldn't find him.
It works though. If I’m speeding and I see a cop and I know it’s too late, he has me for sure, I just close my eyes so he can’t see me. It works every time!

Why can't they just stand by the big orange garbage can on the sideline. That'd be easy enough to see! Or they could hold up giant waffle house menus behind them. What play again was the Scattered Smothered & Covered?!

Reactions: Grandpa4
During the Pitt game, Bob just kept on repeating how many yards the 2 Pitt running backs needed to reach 1,000 or might have been 2,000 yards in their career. He would do a count down just about every time they ran and gained yards. I'm riding in my truck saying out loud, "Who gives a $hit?" He seems to always get more excited when the other team scores or makes a big play. The "voice of the vols" needs to be a true homer in my opinion.

During the Pitt game, Bob just kept on repeating how many yards the 2 Pitt running backs needed to reach 1,000 or might have been 2,000 yards in their career. He would do a count down just about every time they ran and gained yards. I'm riding in my truck saying out loud, "Who gives a $hit?" He seems to always get more excited when the other team scores or makes a big play. The "voice of the vols" needs to be a true homer in my opinion.
He's definitely missing Tim Priest.

I remember thinking the same thing and being so confused. He acted like they were being wrapped in tarps individually

I have a Bob Kesling cool story bro...
In high school, I was interning at WBIR while Kesling was the sports director. He is a huge reds fan and the Braves had just swept the reds in the playoffs. Someone hung probably 50 brooms from his office ceiling and set up a camera to view it. Every person in the building was gathered around a monitor somewhere, waiting on him to enter his office. He did and he wasn’t happy at all! He went into a red faced, cussing tirade as he ripped the brooms out of the ceiling. It was pretty funny.
GBO!!

In high school, I was interning at WBIR while Kesling was the sports director. He is a huge reds fan and the Braves had just swept the reds in the playoffs. Someone hung probably 50 brooms from his office ceiling and set up a camera to view it. Every person in the building was gathered around a monitor somewhere, waiting on him to enter his office. He did and he wasn’t happy at all! He went into a red faced, cussing tirade as he ripped the brooms out of the ceiling. It was pretty funny.
GBO!!

GBO!!

As a huge Braves fan, I love that story........

It would have been cool if the news room had started doing the chop as Kesling got rid of the brooms............

As annoying as the UGA radio broadcasters are to me, they are pretty good and true homers to their team. Wish we had something like that instead of a guy who gets equally excited for the other team.
Speaking of UGA, Kesling had the worst call ever of one of the most exciting plays and endings to a game in UT history with the Hail Mary in Athens when he said: “what a turn of events”.

Kesling gets a bad rap, he does a good job for the most part. I do crack up at how irritated he gets with people on Vol calls, he’s very “shut up and get to the point” with callers.

One thing I wish he would fix though that drives me crazy…. when listening to games on the radio, no one cares what yard marker the player gets to.

For instance, Bob will say “It’s 3rd down and 5, Evans takes the handoff, breaks a tackle and gets out to the 35!!!”

What does that mean Bob?? Did he get the first down or not?? Kills me.

Far be it from me to defend Bob, but he's right about the purpose of the screens. They are behind the coaches signaling in the plays so the signals aren't visible from the press box, where GAs that can pick the signals are seated. Yes, they are still visible to those standing on the opposing sideline, but without the assistance of video, which the coaches in the box have access to, it's far more difficult to pick signals in-game.

Perhaps even more important, the screens prevent the coaches signaling in from being seen on the scouting and TV copy film that other schools study.

I don’t hate Kesling, but I can’t argue with any of the critiques. He’s too excited for opposing teams’ big plays acting like a tv broadcast rather than the vol network broadcast. He doesn’t spell out enough in his play by play: his emotion will suggest we picked up 2 on an out route on 3rd and 5, then it comes to light a minute later that it was a pickup of 24 yards. His basketball broadcasts are much quicker and spell out what’s actually happened, but basketball is a simpler sport.
So many times, I’ve gotten off work eager to tune into an active football game and tune in to find I’m at home turning the tv on before I know the score.

He isn't a good announcer, I am sorry. I don't dislike him, he cannot keep up with down and distance. He cannot paint a picture of the game and doesn't keep it with the overall game very well. He is better at basketball, I think he has trouble seeing during football games sometimes he seems lost to what is going on. He will say something like Evans carries then a pause, for a few yards. Then a longer pause before 2nd down and 5. And I am like WTH! GBO!

He isn't a good announcer, I am sorry. I don't dislike him, he cannot keep up with down and distance. He cannot paint a picture of the game and doesn't keep it with the overall game very well. He is better at basketball, I think he has trouble seeing during football games sometimes he seems lost to what is going on. He will say something like Evans carries then a pause, for a few yards. Then a longer pause before 2nd down and 5. And I am like WTH! GBO!
I agree. I have no problem with his basketball games, but his football games are kinda like hearing finger nails on a chalkboard ………

VN Store

Back