This video shows why Saban is the best and why Fulmer lost his HC job

Kamara signed on for a packed RB class featuring a future Heisman winner and All-Pro. Major factor in that “not working out”. There’s a lengthy list of great players who never played at Alabama...that’s on them.
No, the major factor in "not working out" was a series of incidents resulting in him being charged for 4 petty crimes. Alabama released him from his scholarship because they wanted him gone.

Reactions: 08Vol
I’d argue former lost two jobs for failing to recognize the way the game had changed. But specifically the last one. Offense of coaches were thriving and former went out of his way to hire a guy that said he wanted to play old-school football. How dumb was that? Guess that’s why you don’t let a 70-year-old guy (that was fired over a decade ago for having the game pass him by) run the athletic dept. my god we’re so dumb in that regard. The last few years have been the most frustrating of my entire fandom. Choosing Pruitt (who in turn choose JG) was so incredibly brutal and set us back a freaking decade.
Not so sure about that. Fulmer was an offensive coordinator, and one of the best ever at UT. I don't think he was a defensive minded coach, he was just coaching games like Saban during his tenure ("the team that rushes for the most yards wins"). I think he was hoping that Beldar had learned enough from Saban to be comparable to him or at worst Kirby, who, BTW, was a defensive player and a defensive coordinator. The gamble failed, but at the point in time that Fulmer took over, Beldar was probably a gamble worth taking. Many people thought Pruitt would be a better HC than Kirby.

No, the major factor in "not working out" was a series of incidents resulting in him being charged for 4 petty crimes. Alabama released him from his scholarship because they wanted him gone.
Oh BS! Saban wanted to keep him...badly! He eats “petty crimes” like so much Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies. 😅

Saban wins because of of Paul Bryant Jr’s ability to bankroll his recruiting operation. Saban was good but not great at Lsu, and MSU. Bryant’s money, and the fact that everyone at Alabama from the chancellor down wants a winning football program no matter the cost is what makes him great.
Until the 13 other teams in the SEC do something about this nothing will change.

Meh. I love to relive the glory days as much as any one. But I’m tired of reliving 15 year old mistakes. Let’s talk about more recent ones.
To me, one of the worst in history was panicking and hiring Dooley when Kiffin left, instead of going interim for the year and getting a coach.

Do you feel the same way about the Heupel hiring? He came in later than Dooley.
We'll only know for sure in time, but the Dooley hire still feels much worse. Pruitt was fired and Heupel was hired after the early signing period, and most of our recruiting class was already locked in. Heupel's resume as a head coach before taking the job is also much better than Dooley's was. In contrast, Dooley was hired about a month before NSD, Dooley had a crappy record as a G5 coach, and had never even been a coordinator.

The timing of both hires was poor, but Dooley's was absolutely terrible and he brought less to the table as a resume. Heupel inherited a great situation at UCF, but at least he's run some successful teams as a HC and has coordinated some good offenses. You couldn't say that about Dooley.

Do you feel the same way about the Heupel hiring? He came in later than Dooley.
I
I don’t. Heupel has won as a player and as a coach. Did Dooley ever have a winning season before Tn? Dooley was a panic hire, AD thought we had to have a head coach instead of interim for some reason. Does anyone think Dooley was on any list after Fulmer was let go?

I
I don’t. Heupel has won as a player and as a coach. Did Dooley ever have a winning season before Tn? Dooley was a panic hire, AD thought we had to have a head coach instead of interim for some reason. Does anyone think Dooley was on any list after Fulmer was let go?

Dooley actually did have one winning season out of his three at La Tech.

And I agree that he was a panic hire, and one that came after being turned down by several better candidates. While the verdict on Heupel is still years away, and while he was certainly a better mid-major coach than Dooley, the story of his hiring is darn near identical. And that includes having an interim available on the payroll.

Saban wins because of of Paul Bryant Jr’s ability to bankroll his recruiting operation. Saban was good but not great at Lsu, and MSU. Bryant’s money, and the fact that everyone at Alabama from the chancellor down wants a winning football program no matter the cost is what makes him great.
Saban won a NC at LSU in his short stint there.

Saban wins because he is a joyless perfectionist that is obsessed with winning football games. He might actually be part robot. That and the commitment of his school, and a large portion of the state of Alabama, to ensuring UA stays on top by any means necessary. Auburn can’t rat out UA without ratting themselves out, and tbh they aren’t as good at shady recruiting as UA is.

It was apparent that Fulmer was done as soon as Urban beat him his first two years and Saban was hired at UA shortly after. All things come to an end eventually, Fulmer just didn’t realize it until the wheels had completely come off and it was too late.

VN Store

Back