This is how you build a culture!

You cannot possibly watch that and think it's an act...because if you do you have confirmed you are not that smart.

I am smart, maybe you aren't. Either a conscious or sub conscious act, it is still an act. It has become a typical and popular response to these types of things. It's almost like they are expected to act that way and you would be considered strange if you just stood there and said, "cool uniforms." Y'all need to get with the times.
iu

Has Alabama changed their unis lately?

From a "branding" perspective, it doesn't make sense.

From a "player motivation" perspective, perhaps it does.

You seriously think Tennessee needs help with the “brand?”

They need help restoring the program……that’s for sure. However I would gather creating excitement would help.

Creating momentum would help.

Improving morale would help.

doing it…….will hurt the “brand”?

Stop comparing Tennessee to Alabama……their not. At least now Tennessee is doing things differently than the past few years.

Not at all. That's a strange conclusion. I am merely commenting on the OP's thread about the team's reaction to new uniforms being "building culture.". I don't feel that alternative uniforms are "culture." A positive culture on an athletic team comes from positive results on the field, not new uniforms. Just my opinion, not bitching. I couldn't care less about alternate uniforms.
I will explain it for you. You build culture because the team asked for something. You delivered what they requested. They can now count on you to take their input. That is culture.

I mean, Butch did the same thing and the players reacted the same way, but ok. It's become a thing to ridiculously overreact to things or events. They aren't really that excited, it's an act. A bit juvenile, I know. No one, especially young football players should be surprised by alternate uniforms. It's become pretty common.

The only culture I want to see is one of confidence which comes from winning.

Curious, what USC traditions did Kiffin bring to Knoxville?
Exactly. I've got to where I just roll my eyes at the whole "changing the culture" thing. That's what Pruitt did which is what Butch did. I'm kinda numb to that talk because by the time they're fired you hear how toxic or broken the culture is.

Heupel is a good mix of business and pleasure. Sure seems the players love him, but he isn’t easy going enough to give freebies and practice days off as rumored with Butch

There’s a balance. Players gotta know you’re kind and graceful, but also got a little crazy in you when you need it. Just like parenting or teaching

Reactions: HollowaytoSeivers
I love watching the old cranky people lose their shhhh over the uniforms more than almost anything. I love the colors. I wish we would do it more often. Orange looks beautiful with black, gray, and white. But trolling the sad "back in my days" fans looks even better.

I'm old school traditional so I like the standard. That being said, there is nothing wrong with an alternate uniform every now and then.

I do not see this as building culture but it does help with enthusiasm and getting the players on board with the staff. Only winning will truly change the culture but this might help get us there.

As far as branding, alternate uniforms once every year or two will not impact our brand imaging. Some of the most iconic logos change for periods around holidays, seasons, etc. I don't think this is going to hurt.

However, we need to pick the right games. I hope the game picked is a high confidence one and I think they did. Frankly, I don't ever want to see us lose an alternate uniform game like Georgia did with the black jerseys against Alabama a few years ago. The other team can get some juice too!

Reactions: dlravol2
Once the whistle blows and you get hit in the mouth, do you even think about your uniform? I think they make zero difference in how hard you play. If it excites your players then not seeing why anyone would think it’s a negative.

Reactions: MiramarVol
I will explain it for you. You build culture because the team asked for something. You delivered what they requested. They can now count on you to take their input. That is culture.
You call it culture, I call it being a mature adult.

Reactions: Vol Farmer
Let's be clear -- part of building an organization is building a certain type of culture. (Culture definition: "the way we do things around here")

Culture is built from both the top down and the bottom up. If built correctly, eventually the group members maintain the culture themselves.

A "winning culture" is one that eventually produces winning, of course -- but also one that improves over time, rather than imploding. That includes both building the relationship culture as well as the work culture. Both have to be built in order to last.

Frankly, what little I've seen of the new UT staff seems to indicate that they are indeed building a culture of work and improvement. The uniform thing is part of building the relationship/fun/family culture.

Build one part of the culture without the other, and eventually the whole thing falls apart. Build both cultures along, and they feed on each other.

(Sorry for the lecture -- I used to teach leadership at the corporation where I worked.) (There will be a pop quiz next week. 😉)

Everyone can have their own opinion about traditional or alternate uniforms, but at the end of the day, it’s all about those kids that lay it on the line and play a game we love to watch every Saturday. If they wanted alternate uniforms then they should have some input as far as I am concerned. They are the ones playing and we are the ones watching. This is part of what Heupel talks about. Some call it culture, some call it something else. But he is building trust and morale with his kids and that’s the quickest way to get this program back to the top. Whenever he looks into those players eyes and he is communicating with them, they are all-ears. He has their trust and they play like they will run blindfolded on field full of land mines for him. So far, Heupel has pushed all the right buttons imo.

I am smart, maybe you aren't. Either a conscious or sub conscious act, it is still an act. It has become a typical and popular response to these types of things. It's almost like they are expected to act that way and you would be considered strange if you just stood there and said, "cool uniforms." Y'all need to get with the times.
iu
tenor.gif

Not at all. That's a strange conclusion. I am merely commenting on the OP's thread about the team's reaction to new uniforms being "building culture.". I don't feel that alternative uniforms are "culture." A positive culture on an athletic team comes from positive results on the field, not new uniforms. Just my opinion, not bitching. I couldn't care less about alternate uniforms.

And you would be wrong. The culture must change before the results do.

I'm not saying that new uni's all of a sudden change the culture. But doing things to get players motivated and excited about your program certainly do. Bringing music back to the practice field. Not being an authoritarian like Beldar. New Uni's. Etc. None of these things by themselves are going to change the culture of a team. But all the little things add up.

Last edited:
Being 48 I guess I'm lucky. I'm old enough to remember watching the vols on a muted TV while listening to Mr Ward call it on the radio. I liked the smokey Grey's and I like the black. Regardless of your age if you don't learn change at some point in your life it's gonna be a miserable ride. GBO.....

Lol

If one is consistently failing, you can’t expect to achieve success without changing or at least adjusting your methods.

You simply can’t wait for success…….then I might change my methods. You have change your methods in order to reach the desired success………that is if previous methods were not working.

You call it culture, I call it being a mature adult.
Sure call it what you want. The rest of the world calls that culture or one part of culture.

Also have you seen many mature adults running UT football over the last decade?

VN Store

Back