This game worries me

orangetd88

Agent of Chaos
I've been looking to this USC game all year as a potential bump in the road. Why? Well, we are in the middle of a stretch of physical games, although we seem to have healed up a little. Also, it's on the road. While this team seems to relish playing on the road, it's still a tough place to play. USC has a good defense, and an adequate running game which we could not stop last year. I know, last year was last year, etc, but it still worries me a bit. The oddsmakers have similar feelings, with UT starting out at only a 1 point favorite. That line has now moved to a pick 'em, last I checked.

Anyway, I do expect to win this game, but it would not surprise me if USC gets over the hump against UT on Saturday. I hope I am wrong, however.

The anxiety is well founded... but remember, these guys only scored 12 on a VAUNTED UK defense last week. :rolleyes: As long as the O can keep away from major mistakes, we come out with the W.

Originally posted by rwemyss@Oct 28, 2004 1:28 PM
The anxiety is well founded... but remember, these guys only scored 12 on a VAUNTED UK defense last week. :rolleyes: As long as the O can keep away from major mistakes, we come out with the W.

Can't really think like that. :blink: Florida may have thought, "Miss State only scored 13 against UAB last week :pepper: ..." Then the Gators proceeded to lose 38-31. :( :yikes: :flush:

Actually, in Miss State's 5 games leading up to their game with Florida they scored 14, 7, 0, 13, and 13. :blink:

yeah yeah, I hear ya. How's that saying go though? "Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then."

Couldn't you say that a hefty portion of MSU's points came off major mistakes by UF's O? IMO, no major miscues will lead to a win. Its in the maxims. :good: :beer:

Originally posted by afanalso@Oct 28, 2004 1:51 PM
I just like looking at the VOL cheerleader

Ditto on that! I actually got a die hard 'bama fan in the office next door to yell GO VOLS after seeing that... I said "If this doesn't make you say 'go vols', nothing will."

I think that the coaches have been fixed on this game due to last year. This is also the opportunity to close the door on the SEC East. I see the Vols taking care of business.

This one has scared me for a while until lately... I think these young men will come in with a chip on their shoulder nobody but thuer fans believe in them. This their break out game to shut everybody up..This team and most Tennessee teams love it when they are expected to fail..A Healthy O line Makes the diffrence in the offense.. And he D has now proved that this is a good Chavis D..

Florida has 3 SEC losses. Georgia may end up with 2 or 3 after playing Florida and Auburn.

The irony is, we could lose this game and still very easily win the East. :huh:

Do I want it to come down to that? NO But it makes me feel a little better. I will be extremely proud of an SEC East title and 10 win season; anything on top of that is a bonus. But enought of that.

I think the VOLS will win a tough low scoring game, not unlike the past 3 weeks.

GO VOLS!

Originally posted by Vol 4 Life@Oct 28, 2004 9:45 PM
Florida has 3 SEC losses.  Georgia may end up with 2 or 3 after playing Florida and Auburn.

The irony is, we could lose this game and still very easily win the East.  :huh:

Do I want it to come down to that?  NO  But it makes me feel a little better.  I will be extremely proud of an SEC East title and 10 win season; anything on top of that is a bonus.  But enought of that.

I think the VOLS will win a tough low scoring game, not unlike the past 3 weeks.

GO VOLS!

Maybe you should not feel better. You mentioned Georgia and Florida, but you forget where South Carolina is in the standings...... South Carolina knows how many losses that Florida and Georgia have. They also know that Georgia could still lose 1 or 2 games. SC is 3-2 in the conference. They know that this is their chance to win the EAST. "If" SC won this game, they would 4-2.... Tennessee would be 4-2.... and Georgia still has to play Florida and at Auburn. Even if Georgia were to only lose once more, there would be a 3-way tie for the EAST division. If Georgia's losses were to Tennesse and Florida, then SC would win the tie-breaker over Tennessee.

After this weekend, SC has games against Arkansas and Florida.... both of which are starting to look very beatable by SC. In my mind, the Tennessee-South Carolina game is huge!

THREE (OR MORE) TEAM TIE

1. (Once the tie has been reduced to two teams, go to the two-team tie-breaker format.)
2. Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams.
3. Record of the tied teams within the division.
4. Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.
5. Overall record vs. non-division teams.
6. Combined record vs. all common non-divisional teams.
7. Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.
8. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the SEC Championship Game.

TWO-TEAM TIE

1. Head-to-head competition between the two tied teams.
2. Records of the tied teams within the division.
3. Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best overall record (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last.
4. Overall record vs. all common non-divisional opponents.
5. Combined record vs. all common non-divisional teams.
6. Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division.
7. The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game.

Ok,I'm confused here.In a two tie team,if we lose another game and so does Georgia then we are screwed if Georgia remains higher than us in the BCS even though we beat them.I don't get or am I reading that wrong?

The rules have a pecking order, 1-7... one being the first. You go down the list until a rule breaks the tie. I'm actually not understanding why there's more than one rule for the two way though. each team in the division plays each other, if there's a two way tie in the end, the head-to-head determines the winner... how else could it go?

Enlighten us AllVol? You seem to know better about this sort of stuff than the rest of us.

If Tennessee and Georgia are the only two loss teams in the east then Tennesee goes to the SECCG do to The head To Head match up. This would also require SC to loose another game... If Tennessee Georgia and South Carolina all have two losses that's were it gets confusing.

I don't get it either... I understand the complicated rules for a 3-way (insert dirty joke here), but when it comes to a two way tie, every team in the division is GURANTEED to have played head-to-head, so there's no need for anything past rule 1. ??? er so I thought... as the guys here in b'ham say "you can't be the brightest bulb in the box, you go to the University of Tennessee!" :dlol:

that is for if the first six do not broke the tie.

Suppose Tennessee and Georgia and only one loss and they both loss to Auburn and the scores were identical 24-17. that is where it would it moves moer down the qualification line.

Originally posted by Tnvolfan68@Oct 29, 2004 11:26 AM
that is for if the first six do not broke the tie.

Suppose Tennessee and Georgia and only one loss and they both loss to Auburn and the scores were identical 24-17. that is where it would it moves moer down the qualification line.

That's what we're saying... that's impossible, for both of 'em to have one loss and both have lost to Auburn... who won the UT-UGA game? I thought that maybe the rules were just old, and in case of a tie in the head-to-head game, but that doesn't explain the BCS rule, that would HAVE to be new.

Yes, but the question is "why are the 6 more two way tie rules?" Because the head-to head game will ALWAYS find a winner. Does that make sense?

:dlol: I think we're on the same page now... I'm going to drop it and just say the SEC front office is stupid. There's no need for anything past rule 1 of the two way tie... there would have to be some sort of crazy situation where the two teams wind up not playing each other. I just don't know how that could be.

Here are some scenarios....

1. Tennessee and Georgia finished tied. Tennessee goes to SECCG based upon head-to-head outcome.

2. Tennessee, Georgia, and South Carolina all finish 6-2. Georgia's 2nd loss is to Florida, Tennessee's is to SC. Georgia is eliminated by virtue of its 2-2 division record, while Tennessee and SC are 3-1. Now it reverts to the head-to-head matchup between Tennessee and SC. SC goes to SECCG based upon head-to-head outcome.

3. Here's where it gets tricky. Tennessee, Georgia and South Carolina all finish 6-2. Georgia's 2nd loss is to Auburn and Tennessee's is to SC.

(1)Combined head-to-head record among the tied teams. -- each team is 1-1 against other teams in the tie. (2)Record of the tied teams within the division. -- each team is 3-1 in the division (3)Head-to-head competition vs. the team within the division with the best overall (divisional and non-divisional) Conference record and proceeding through the division. Multiple ties within the division will be broken from first to last. --- each will be undefeated versus Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Florida. (4)Overall record vs. non-division teams.--- each would be 3-1 verse WEST teams. (5)Combined record vs. all common non-divisional teams. --- there is no one common non-division team(6) Record vs. common non-divisional team with the best overall Conference (divisional and non-divisional) record and proceeding through other common non-divisional teams based on their order of finish within their division. again, there is no one common non-division team. (7)The tied team with the highest ranking in the Bowl Championship Series Standings following the last weekend of regular-season games shall be the divisional representative in the SEC Championship Game, unless the second of the tied teams is ranked within five-or-fewer places of the highest ranked tied team. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the SEC Championship Game. According to collegebcs.com and the approximate strength of schedule for each team at the end of the regular season... it would appear that Tennessee and Georgia would the highest ranked teams in the BCS. Currently, Tennessee is within 5 spots of the Georgia, so the Vols would go the SECCG by virtue of its head-to-head matchup against Georgia.

4. Tennessee and South Carolina finished tied. Tennessee's 2nd loss is to SC. SC goes to SECCG by virtue of head-to-head outcome.

VN Store

Back