This Football Program Has No Clear Direction

The direction is quite clear: down in the toilet.
Beat me to it. UT has had a clear direction for nearly 20 years. Just when you think they can go no lower, they always exceed expectations.

Reactions: CA_Vol
This has to be the most dysfunctional AD in the country. We need professionals in that department with a clear vision and drive. Fulmer is convincing me he is just there to collect a paycheck.

1. Despite what is being reported publicly, Steele was not hired by Pruitt. He was brought in by Fulmer.

2. Pruitt is not coming back as head coach! He is to meet with the administration today. They are going to present to him what the internal investigation has found and are going to negotiate a buyout that is significantly smaller than what is owed to him. Depending on what they have found, they may not owe him a dime. I would say chances are extremely high that Pruitt takes that DC position at Texas.

3. The players report back on campus this week. An interim coach must be in place to keep the ship steady while the administration conducts a coaching search. Thats where Steele comes in. He was hired in at a very low price with an extremely open ended contract. It basically says he's free to take another job at any time if one is offered to him. He's basically doing Fulmer and his Alma mater a solid while they attempt to get this next coaching hire right. Will he be retained by the new coach? Who knows but I certainly wouldn't mind having him as our next DC.

Look, I'm not saying our administration is going to get this right. If the past is any indication, they likely wont. All I'm saying is there IS a plan in place and they are executing it. They aren't wandering around in the dark as you might think.

1. Despite what is being reported publicly, Steele was not hired by Pruitt. He was brought in by Fulmer.

2. Pruitt is not coming back as head coach! He is to meet with the administration today. They are going to present to him what the internal investigation has found and are going to negotiate a buyout that is significantly smaller than what is owed to him. Depending on what they have found, they may not owe him a dime. I would say chances are extremely high that Pruitt takes that DC position at Texas.

3. The players report back on campus this week. An interim coach must be in place to keep the ship steady while the administration conducts a coaching search. Thats where Steele comes in. He was hired in at a very low price with an extremely open ended contract. It basically says he's free to take another job at any time if one is offered to him. He's basically doing Fulmer and his Alma mater a solid while they attempt to get this next coaching hire right. Will he be retained by the new coach? Who knows but I certainly wouldn't mind having him as our next DC.

Look, I'm not saying our administration is going to get this right. If the past is any indication, they likely wont. All I'm saying is there IS a plan in place and they are executing it. They aren't wandering around in the dark as you might think.
If that’s the case, which I doubt (no offense), I hope the AD has been at the very least putting out feelers to gauge interest.

Tn continues to be a complete joke. Fulmer has turned out to be an embarrassment.
Ove
When is the last time Fulmer made a public appearance? Any public appearances since he made the statement that he had CoVid? I know he’s issued statements since his positive CoVid test. But, I don’t recall seeing him at a bball game or anything else recently.
Thanks for info.

Come out and give us some clarity, Phil! Players are trickling out on the fball program, and your silence is deafening!
well he hired into this. It’s confirmation, in my opinion that he doesn’t have a finger on the pulse of college football.

When is the last time Fulmer made a public appearance? Any public appearances since he made the statement that he had CoVid? I know he’s issued statements since his positive CoVid test. But, I don’t recall seeing him at a bball game or anything else recently.
Thanks for info.

Come out and give us some clarity, Phil! Players are trickling out on the fball program, and your silence is deafening!
He’s in all the food city stores...

Fulmer could not direct his own career when the conference began to get competitive, how in the world would anyone expect him to direct the entire program when the SEC went ultra competitive as the premier college football conference in America?

You would not expect Barney Fife to direct Seal Team Six, why would you let a washed up football coach that destroyed his own career anywhere near UT Athletics?
Exactly!!!

Reactions: loservol
You mean hire the guy back that caused most of this to begin with?

That's like raising the Titanic & going full steam again right at an ice berg to hope you bust right thru it this time to keep going
Caused most of this lol. He left. Coaches do it. The catalyst was a an egocentric coach posting 2/4 losing seasons. Maybe he should have focused on football instead of his multitude of business ventures...

T

thank you.

Caused most of this lol. He left. Coaches do it. The catalyst was a an egocentric coach posting 2/4 losing seasons. Maybe he should have focused on football instead of his multitude of business ventures...

Exactly. Even with Lane's untimely departure, we could've avoided this entire mess we've been in. Had we had true leadership in place, they would've appointed Kippy Brown as interim coach for the 2010 season to give our administration time to conduct a proper coaching search. Instead we made a panic hire in an effort to save one recruiting class. That is what sent this program spiraling, not Kiffin's departure.

Reactions: vol05
If that’s the case, which I doubt (no offense), I hope the AD has been at the very least putting out feelers to gauge interest.

They always keep a list in the top left drawer and have our guys talk to their guys, but the current field is so terribly weak it would have to be an emergency fall back plan. NOW if anyone has any solid evidence that some of the money guys are excited about a candidate enough to get off their wallets big time I would love to hear about it. I don't think they are excited about doing anything this year and IT APPEARS TO ME they are only posturing for an interim if replacing is not discretionary. Not just Steele either. We might have to cobble together a KNOWN one year transition staff. As usual you have to follow the money. Our leadership may have folks on their wish list they cannot afford due to their contractual status right now that might be affordable with real revenue and less buyouts for our staff next cycle. Maybe I am just not listening in the right places, but I have not heard anyone indicating the money guys are ready to support anybody in play right now. Anybody got anything? They are going to have to be pretty dedicated to a guy to make up the cash to cover all the empty seats due to COVID. I am not sure they have a champion they would GO AFTER if our buyouts right now were mitigated. Have I just missed real information? I never rule that out. We don't seem to have guys as close to the action as we used to that would be allowed to share SOME tidbits.

Reactions: Godfatha
The direction is quite clear: down in the toilet.
This always happens to Tennessee football just before a head coach’s final year. Phillip Fulmer lost David Cutcliffe, Kurt Roper, Matt Luke and Trooper Taylor at the end of the 2007 season and was then fired in 2008. Derek Dooley had his staff poached in 2011 and was then fired before the 2012 season ended. Butch Jones had his staff poached in 2016 and was then fired before the 2017 season ended.
With players bouncing....reported current staff coaches trying to talk to other schools...mass staff changes going into the following season is usually a recipe for disaster.

Need to keep Chaney for offensive cohesion purposes. Defense, on the other hand needs a great deal of tweaking to get back on par. Maybe that's where Steele fits in. I wouldn't mind seeing Rodney Garner come to UT and coach our DLine and maybe Travis Williams coach our ILBers.

Stole this from a post in a SDS story on the Vols. It's on point:

Hey remember when Aaron Murray and David Pollack warned everyone about Pruitt and all the Tennessee fans here lost their minds?
Remember when Paul Finebaum attacked Murray personally (but didn’t his nominal ESPN coworker, Pollack) for saying that Pruitt did not have the temperament to be an SEC head coach?
Remember?
Pepperridge Farm remembers.
This is all hilariously karmic.

The clusterfu.. that your administration is conducting is burying UT. Are they this stupid? They must be. If they want to avoid the buyout they are just stupid. This cluster will harm UT beyond any buyout cost. A person or persons in the administration are wanting to bury not just Pruitt, but Field Goal Phil. I can't think of another scenario that would cause them to act like this. Provide me with another motive if you believe I am wrong.
I was at Neyland when Herschel met Bill Bates. I enjoyed the UT fans. The only bad part was the upper deck, and the death march after the game.
I bear you no ill will. In fact, I feel sorry for you loyal fans. IMO, this won't just end badly, it will be a disaster.

VN Store

Back