This AD Hire is a Game Changer

It is truly amazing how low our fanbase felt until less than an hour ago, thinking that our program was on the brink of collapse. Now we have excitement and optimism back already!
We have alot of fans that are on a continuous roller coaster. Up and down at the turn of a dime. Don't get me wrong. I LOVE roller coasters, think ill stick to the old timey cars for this one.šŸ˜

For those saying that this doesn't change the circumstance. Well, yes, it does. Humans are emotional beings, and this hire instantly changes the emotion around UT athletics. White is a winner. White finds winners and cultivates the atmosphere that helps them win.

Competent coaches will WANT to be a part of that. If he is given free reign, his presence combined with the resources available to the AD on campus mean that this job is now in the top 5 in the country.

Uphill climb? yes. Horsepower and tracks available to make that climb? - looks like that is being provided... time will tell.

Last edited:
Reactions: cd12
I disagree. The main problem with our program was a lack of administrative support and Fulmer meddling. Plowman and Boyd made a solid move and White is a solid AD who will make a solid hire. We will NOT be getting a Google coach this time. UCF has stayed out of NCAA trouble, we got rid of the players and coaches implicated. The NCAA doesnt have time to penalize teams that have already cleaned house. This job is not radioactive. It just became way more attractive.

The NCAA's enforcement efforts are complete arbitrary and capricious. While they certainly shouldn't punish a school that's already cleaned house, they've done so repeatedly. And, obviously, whomever takes over will be inheriting an absolutely brutal roster as far as overall depth. I don't care how good the coach is, it is going to be really tough to win in the first couple of years, so he's going to need assurances about patience.

But there's another issue that seems silly on its face, but will be a major point of interest for agents. How does UT respond if Pruitt carries thru with his threat to sue? Do they settle quickly, or do they fight it? If they put up any resistance, a "home run" kind of hire is going to be a challenge.

It seems like a lot of people realize this is a good hire. Those who don't. . . considering the circumstances, this may be the best AD hire by any school in the past decade. It would be a homerun hire even if we had no other issues going on. In the current situation, this is like Little Mac knocking out a prime Iron Mike Tyson in real life.
While I'm excited by the hire I do think the situation we are in adds most of the enthusiasm you are seeing. When you are laying on the matte and struggling to breathe hiring DW is like Ali coming over and saying "stay down and recover while I complete the fight for you".

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
6-4 when he inherited a team that went 13-0? Naw
The main thing to know about those UCF football teams is they got 4&5 star results from 3 star players.
I am not big on Heupel in particular, but I love what that says about the culture at UCF these last 7 or 8 years.

Reactions: RockyTop140
The NCAA's enforcement efforts are complete arbitrary and capricious. While they certainly shouldn't punish a school that's already cleaned house, they've done so repeatedly. And, obviously, whomever takes over will be inheriting an absolutely brutal roster as far as overall depth. I don't care how good the coach is, it is going to be really tough to win in the first couple of years, so he's going to need assurances about patience.

But there's another issue that seems silly on its face, but will be a major point of interest for agents. How does UT respond if Pruitt carries thru with his threat to sue? Do they settle quickly, or do they fight it? If they put up any resistance, a "home run" kind of hire is going to be a challenge.

If White's smart (certainly think he is), he would have gauged the ongoing NCAA compliance situation here and not taken the job if he thought the penalties will be too onerous. Hard to think he'd risk his golden-boy rep on a program about to be crushed by sanctions.

Penalties? Yes.
Soul-crushing penalties? No.

Reactions: tarvol73
There is always a path forward and right now Tennessee is on it. Relax and be happy about that.
Yeah AD's ARE the foundation. Not so unlike NFL teams. You got a good GM, like the Steelers, over a long period of time, then you have a foundation for success to there coaches and players want to be a part of it. Even though I was OK w/ Fulmer at the time vs Curry, and think he did some good, it's very evident his missteps from being a rookie AD. Props to the Chancellor...we're cleaning house, moving swiftly and acting like we finally know what's going on...even w/ bringing in Steele as a placeholder.

Reactions: Steve_Smith89
While I'm excited by the hire I do think the situation we are in adds most of the enthusiasm you are seeing. When you are laying on the matte and struggling to breathe hiring DW is like Ali coming over and saying "stay down and recover while I complete the fight for you".

I think the main thing is for people to realize how outstanding a hire this is, regardless. This would be an exceptional hire for anyone, even a program that has 0 turmoil and is simply replacing an athletic director.

Yeah AD's ARE the foundation. Not so unlike NFL teams. You got a good GM, like the Steelers, over a long period of time, then you have a foundation for success to there coaches and players want to be a part of it. Even though I was OK w/ Fulmer at the time vs Curry, and think he did some good, it's very evident his missteps from being a rookie AD. Props to the Chancellor...we're cleaning house, moving swiftly and acting like we finally know what's going on...even w/ bringing in Steele as a placeholder.
well with the steelers it's not really the GM as much as it's the Rooney family but I get what you're saying

This is literally the best hire we could have made.
I agree but I don't understand why they are working out a settlement with Fulmer, he stated that he was resigning. That man has done nothing but harm the program with his last 4 or 5 years of coaching and his meddling, and of course after he was hired as the AD. I certainly hope Mr White looks at all the sports especially the women's basketball program and does not allow it to slide much lower down the ranks I have a good feeling about this hire

If White's smart (certainly think he is), he would have gauged the ongoing NCAA compliance situation here and not taken the job if he thought the penalties will be too onerous. Hard to think he'd risk his golden-boy rep on a program about to be crushed by sanctions.

Penalties? Yes.

Heā€™s up for a challenge.

Penalties? Yes.

I dont think this is true at all. If you were talking head football coach, then yes. But an AD isn't going to care about sanctions when he's replacing the guy the caused them. The AD is over all the sports not just football and he's not going to care about sanctions as long as he's paid.

Penalties? Yes.

I think you're probably right about that. But potential penalties are only one factor in the overall mess.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
The AD ....he's not going to care about sanctions as long as he's paid.

I disagree. What AD wouldn't care if their P5 flagship program had a NCAA death-penalty-level sentence? Makes no sense to me. *shrug*

White could have waited a year or two and gone to a P5 school without a NCAA investigation and still "get paid," if that had been his bent. But he's here.

Reactions: VolNExile

Penalties? Yes.
His reputation was certainly a main reason why he was initially considered for the position. Cleaning up a university in a terrible predicament, removing it's notoriety, and returning it's staple Athletic program to a consistently competitive and successful state will, undoubtedly, solidify his status among the most proficient AD's in the nation.

VN Store

Back