This AD Hire is a Game Changer

A friggin men. I do not understand wanting someone connected to UT. This place has been heading down hill for 2 years. Purge all you can.

I mean if the person who is great at his job also happens to have UT connections, then that's great.

Just like Steele. He's widely considered to be a very good defensive coordinator. So he so absolutely be considered for DC regardless off who is selected as HC. The fact that Steele has UT connections is just gravy on top.

Same for Graham. One of the best RB coaches in the game. Hope he is retained regardless of his UT connections.

Reactions: DocVOLiday and Remy
Don't know if wanting to hire an alumni for AD, and maybe even head coach, is such a good thing. Maybe too many close ties to former players clouds their judgement when it comes to hiring a new coach, whatever sport it may be. I had not heard Danny White mentioned as a candidate, so it came as a surprise. However, he seems to be a very good hire. His hires as AD at Buffalo and UCF seem to have been on target.

To say White is highly connected and respected is an understatement! Everyone and anybody you hear complain about our administration needs a quick and strong reminder that Plowman and Boyd are calling the shots now, get on board, and flip it all around!

I'm on-board now but must admit, as I'm sure others will too, that most of us had a gloomy feeling about the goings on and our past admin's ability or inability to respond to unfavorable conditions. As things are starting to unfold and become clearer, I'm having a lot more confidence in our current admin and the direction they want to take. It's like a breathe of clean mountain air.

Reactions: beachvol23
It is truly amazing how low our fanbase felt until less than an hour ago, thinking that our program was on the brink of collapse. Now we have excitement and optimism back already!
Why does it feel like 98 again?

You realize who hired Pruitt don't you?

The fact that they have a UT background should be completely irrelevant. We need to be picking the best man for the job, period.

Tribalism is a major issue in college athletics. Too many fans can't separate the field from the administration and somehow believe, despite decades of evidence nationwide to the contrary, that someone who brought them success on field must obviously be the best person to bring success from the board room.

It seems like a lot of people realize this is a good hire. Those who don't. . . considering the circumstances, this may be the best AD hire by any school in the past decade. It would be a homerun hire even if we had no other issues going on. In the current situation, this is like Little Mac knocking out a prime Iron Mike Tyson in real life.
I never could beat Mike Tyson.
GBO!!

Reactions: Enki_Amenra
Danny was a hell of a QB for the Cowboys back in the day. I’m really excited we have an offensive minded AD /blue font

Reactions: RockyTop140
Stop. AD's dont win football games.

A lot to do before that feeling comes back

True, but with his track record he will be able to interview coaches that would not have been interested if contacted by other AD’s we could have hired. UCF is very successful and he just signed a 5 year extension last March so he must believe he can help rebuild Tennessee and sees something worthwhile here?

Reactions: Border Vol
All I know is so far he has hired good coaches and will actually trust he does this right and no more randoms. I also think we are going to swing for the fences here first and put real money on the table.

He is already an upgrade on Fulmer in one area.

Brought in 31 million in donations in 2019 at UCF.

Fulmer brought in 31 million in donations in 2019 at UT.

One of these programs is not like the other.

I think White can inject some enthusiasm back into the athletic department that Fulmer ccouldn't.

Reactions: VolsSince78
I am going to be a bit more reserved, not on his hire, but circumstances may not allow him to get a guy he likes to fill the role till the NCAA outcome is reached. He obviously has a good eye, and I will trust his judgement, but he may not be able to hit a homerun where we are right now and may have to settle for a guy that has a base hit history. Could continue doing that or morph into a power hitter. I await his coach and staffing hires, knowing he might be limited. If he has some strong guys brave enough to sign due to his track record life can get better quickly, but it will still be process I fear. But steady progress seems possible, just don't know how steep the curve. If he follows up this hire with a HC soon, we may be able to minimize the departures and stop the bleeding. We shall see. This of course is all based on the rumors being true. Bet his terms will be staggering. I read where he was the highest paid AD in the state of FL.
Tough job getting the best coach at this particular time. We just can't be satisfied with some also-rans. I just don't know who's out there that we will be satisfied with.

VN Store

Back