Thinking ahead

The most important thing is establishing the right leadership culture. As long as everyone knows the values and expectations, someone will step up and see that they are supported. I think this team is working through that right now. There will be guys next year who carry JJ's and others' example forward.

20 reasons I'm not worried that our seniors are leaving us:

Yes, we'll lose some very impactful players after this season, guys like Jauan Jennings and Daniel Bituli. Strong players, and strong leaders. We will miss them.

But we're gonna be fine. Because this happens to every team, every year, and new leaders, new studs, have a way of emerging.

And we already know we've got several of those, because they have already begun their emergence.

So...the 20 reasons I'm not worried:
  • Aubrey Solomon
  • Darel Middleton
  • Henry To'o To'o
  • Quavaris Crouch
  • Bryce Thompson
  • Alontae Taylor
  • Jarrett Guarantano (don't count so fast on him leaving for Rutgers)
  • Brian Maurer
  • JT Shrout
  • Ty Chandler
  • Tim Jordan
  • Josh Palmer
  • Brandon Johnson
  • Trey Smith (maybe...okay, maybe not, but still maybe)
  • Brandon Kennedy (maybe)
  • Darnell Wright
  • Wanya Morris
  • Brent Cimaglia
  • Joe Doyle
  • Paxton Brooks
And that doesn't even count some of the youngest players who came in as heralded recruits or transfers

Not all twenty of those listed will emerge as strong leaders, but that's okay, it only takes a few on each side of the ball. All have the potential to become real play-makers, and leaders-by-action, showing the younger kids how to practice, how to strive for excellence, how to win.

So yep, not too worried. With this coaching staff to develop and guide them, we're going to be just fine.

Go Vols!

p.s. And this is critically important: before you can be a good team leader, you have to be a good team member. And the Vols took a HUGE step forward in that regard this year. All those young men have been learning, all season long, how to be good team members. What it feels like to meld into something that adds up to more than all of you put together, and how to sustain and replicate that. They're learning that now, even the youngest. And that will make them SO much better when it's their turn to lead, next year or the year after. That is, perhaps, the single biggest win of the season for our program, and CJP & Co.'s greatest accomplishment so far. Missing for years--we have it now.

Go Vols!
Gooden? Won't he be back next year

If JG can learn touch on screen passes I think he starts next year. Our inability to throw screens puts us @ a disadvantage on the field and not getting it in our tailbacks hands. He wisely used his legs for 2 first downs last night and has great accuracy. He’s a new man, a team player and just starting to blossom

Yes, we'll lose some very impactful players after this season, guys like Jauan Jennings and Daniel Bituli. Strong players, and strong leaders. We will miss them.

But we're gonna be fine. Because this happens to every team, every year, and new leaders, new studs, have a way of emerging.

And we already know we've got several of those, because they have already begun their emergence.

• Aubrey Solomon
  • Darel Middleton
  • Henry To'o To'o
  • Quavaris Crouch
  • Bryce Thompson
  • Alontae Taylor
  • Brian Maurer
  • JT Shrout
  • Ty Chandler
  • Tim Jordan
  • Josh Palmer
  • Brandon Johnson
  • Darnell Wright
  • Wanya Morris
  • Brent Cimaglia
  • Joe Doyle
  • Paxton Brooks
And that doesn't even count some of the youngest players who came in as heralded recruits or transfers

Not all twenty of those listed will emerge as strong leaders, but that's okay, it only takes a few on each side of the ball. All have the potential to become real play-makers, and leaders-by-action, showing the younger kids how to practice, how to strive for excellence, how to win.

So yep, not too worried. With this coaching staff to develop and guide them, we're going to be just fine.

Go Vols!

p.s. And this is critically important: before you can be a good team leader, you have to be a good team member. And the Vols took a HUGE step forward in that regard this year. All those young men have been learning, all season long, how to be good team members. What it feels like to meld into something that adds up to more than all of you put together, and how to sustain and replicate that. They're learning that now, even the youngest. And that will make them SO much better when it's their turn to lead, next year or the year after. That is, perhaps, the single biggest win of the season for our program, and CJP & Co.'s greatest accomplishment so far. Missing for years--we have it now.

Go Vols!
We have a few other players who are redshirting this year who will be playing next year plus this Winter’s recruiting class. We will be a much better team next year on both sides of the ball.

Most likely, can’t hardly blame him after the way our fan base has treated him. I get it some of it he earned but he is a good kid and has handled it with maturity thus far.
Maybe not JG, but one of the 3 right now will go with the freshman coming in.

• Aubrey Solomon
  • Darel Middleton
  • Henry To'o To'o
  • Quavaris Crouch
  • Bryce Thompson
  • Alontae Taylor
  • Brian Maurer
  • JT Shrout
  • Ty Chandler
  • Tim Jordan
  • Josh Palmer
  • Brandon Johnson
  • Darnell Wright
  • Wanya Morris
  • Brent Cimaglia
  • Joe Doyle
  • Paxton Brooks

Go Vols!

Go Vols!
Excellent JP..

A few comments to add - There was a lot of negativity following the Georgia State fiasco (me included). My thoughts were that we were going to end up with maybe 3 wins and this would hammer us in recruiting, thus the downward spiral continues. I think winning out, getting a decent bowl (meaning more practices) will contribute greatly to future success. Even when USCe beat UGA, I thought, wow, we are going to get out recruited by Muschamp now. I don't feel that way now. I think Pruitt has a great story to tell recruits going forward, and YES a 4th down stop was very significant in putting some teeth into that story. Glad it wasn't a loss he'd have to explain away. We are gaining momentum. Death spiral over?

By the way. I think JG is VFL material. I don't see him leaving. My analogy is he's been through marriage counseling with Vol Nation. Many wanted the divorce, but some of those want to send him flowers now. Just saying - Say what you will, but he was the spark that brought victory in Lexington. Hope he stays (and after the Alabama fumble, I don't think I could say that).

• Aubrey Solomon
  • Darel Middleton
  • Henry To'o To'o
  • Quavaris Crouch
  • Bryce Thompson
  • Alontae Taylor
  • Brian Maurer
  • JT Shrout
  • Ty Chandler
  • Tim Jordan
  • Josh Palmer
  • Brandon Johnson
  • Darnell Wright
  • Wanya Morris
  • Brent Cimaglia
  • Joe Doyle
  • Paxton Brooks

Go Vols!

Go Vols!

Bennett, Butler, Gooden all back on DL. Elijah Simmons red shirt will be off. Jamir Johnson, Calbert and Carvin all back on OL. So many freshman have gotten significant playing time too. We gonna be fine.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
To'o To'o will be a beast next year. He is already showing leadership skills. I don't know how the NFL will feel about Trey's medical issue. They my want to see another year of his work. If so that is a big win for TN. This team looks nothing like it did 2 years ago. I think it will only get better if Pruitt can fill some holes.

He is a Beast now.
A Freshman making those stops?? Amazing!

Y’all know dang well that JG is only going to be good until he makes his next mistake. Same with Maurer, Shrout and even Bailey once he gets here. Qb support on VN is only rented.
Let's also give some credit to the O-Line since our QBs, for the most part, haven't been having to throw off their backs like last year. JG was holding the ball too long earlier in the year but as the O-Line has improved JG has also learned to get rid of the ball earlier. Not perfect, but getting better which is a good thing. Ya'll do remember how bad the o-line has been for the past couple of years?

Reactions: feathersax
Dont forget JG gone.

Not if he finished strong. Staying in the same system for 2yrs in a row for the first time in his career will help him play better and get drafted higher. Chaney is a proven commodity at developing NFL QB's as well. If JG closes strong he will be at TN again and let's hope it works out because that is best for everyone involved if he comes back and has a good senior season.

Not if he finished strong. Staying in the same system for 2yrs in a row for the first time in his career will help him play better and get drafted higher. Chaney is a proven commodity at developing NFL QB's as well. If JG closes strong he will be at TN again and let's hope it works out because that is best for everyone involved if he comes back and has a good senior season.
He can't play a complete game. He has only performed adequately coming off the bench. Time for him to move on.

If he plays like he did vs UK for 2 or 3 more games this year... he will likely be the UT starter next fall.
Hes not the starter now though. The other QB's have shown enough that with a full spring and summer of practice behind them they will be good to go.

Reactions: VolsnRavens
Just saying I’ve seen kids handle it a lot worse cough cough jalen Hurd.

In Hurd's defense knowing what we know (or think we know) now, he wasn't the only one who left. And the guy is human like the rest of us. Let's just say when you're bent by being lied to so much, sooner or later something breaks. When he finally quit, he quit, and it worked out very good for him. He went to Baylor and became the player he was meant to be. Though a tight end, he ran at times in what I suppose was the I-formation while there and was productive doing so. I don't care who you are, at some point you can be pushed to a point where you say enough is enough. So how do we know that JG wasn't enduring the same being lied to, lost faith and couldn't hold it in? And at last has his head anatomically fixed correctly? Finally, would it hurt to enjoy and appreciate his apparent resurgence and wish him well whether he opts to stay or go elsewhere?

Reactions: ptcarter
Hes not the starter now though. The other QB's have shown enough that with a full spring and summer of practice behind them they will be good to go.
We will see. I am a UT fan. I'm not "anti" anyone or a booster of anyone. I like the potential Maurer showed. I think Shrout is 2 years from being a serious contender unless he starts picking it up faster. JG has experience and battle scars. If he can get past his inhibitions and mental/confidence issues then he has always had the physical talent to be a very good QB.

I didn't think he could overcome it. One game doesn't convince me. But I went from being about 99% sure he wouldn't turn it around... to something more hopeful because of how he played vs UK. The "best" answer for UT has always been that the RS Jr get his act straight.

Reactions: irish1485

VN Store

Back