Things that you would change about the game if you could.

Thanks, KB! Lots of good common sense thoughts in this thread, and it makes you wonder why some of these haven't been instituted.

I think the review that killed instant replay for me was the Vandy game years back where the football was under a pile of humanity and it was impossible to tell exactly where it should have been spotted on a critical 4th down. Yet they overturned the call on the field, which of course went against us and ended up costing us the game, without being able to see one shred of evidence, let alone indisputable evidence.

After that instant replay was pretty much dead to me since I realized it was still going to be subject to human error, bias, and "making things up as you go." Might as well be jobbed in real time and move on with the game!

The worst part about that was earlier in the game vandy was in the exact same situation and they gave them the 1st down.

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
I’m sure it happens some but I have never seen anything on TV like you have described above.
shoe.gif

I don’t see any coaches in the video which is what I was referring too.
So, what's your point? Haha, I mean, are you saying you don't believe him? Its exactly like he described it except you don't see any coaches actually motioning those three guys to just fall down?

Reactions: Joefoxx
I'd keep the face mask and penalty. However, since it's considered dangerous for the ball carrier, then when the runner stiff arms a defender either by grabbing or shoving the face mask, that should also be a penalty. As far as I can tell, both offensive and defensive players are made of the same basic materials, so the "what's good for the goose ..." analogy should go both ways as far as injury considerations. Either both are penalties or neither is a penalty.
I should have been more clear. I meant the facemask should be removed from the helmet to stop players from using their helmet as a weapon.

I should have been more clear. I meant the facemask should be removed from the helmet to stop players from using their helmet as a weapon.

I understood; you clarified that a few posts later. I think face guards serve a purpose and should be kept, but I think both offensive and defensive players should be prohibited from grabbing or shoving face guards. I'd probably recommend eye protection as standard equipment, but there don't seem to be enough eye injuries to mandate it.

One thing in general though, if an action is considered dangerous when used by either the offense or defense, then the ruling should apply to the other also. If a defender is penalized for hitting with the crown of the helmet, then with the same safety consideration in mind an offensive player should be penalized for hitting with the crown of the helmet ... all players share the same basic anatomy and are subject to the same kind of injuries.

Change that stupid rule where the defense gets possession at the 20 yard line when the offense fumbles through the end zone. The defense should have to recover the fumble to earn possession. If the fumble goes out of bounds through the end zone, just place the ball at the spot fumbled, the same you do on any other spot on the field if the ball is fumbled forward. Such a stupid rule.

Reactions: Rickyvol77
My main trouble with #4 is this -- holding occurs so often, it would no doubt totally wreck the flow of the game. It's just a fantasy of mine after umpteen gillion hours of watching certain teams hold, hold, and HOLD YET AGAIN and almost never be flagged for it. As for PI, I have never understood why it can't be reviewed. They say it's a judgement call, etc., etc., but so many calls are judgement calls that CAN be reviewed. And sometimes the non-PI calls are simply so ridiculous, I'd like to at least see the refs take a look at it. Though, again, there we go slowing up the game. That's why I find myself wanting to junk reviews altogether.
We could always go back to when the offense could not use their hands at all to block. They could throw a flag if the ref saw any hands outside the chest. Which, like the holding of today, pretty much happened on every play. But you didn’t see many takedowns. Always felt that was ridiculous at the time because it gave a huge advantage to the defense. When they changed the rule it greatly helped the passing game and scoring and the lifetimes of quarterbacks increased significantly!

Reactions: ClockworkOrange
We could always go back to when the offense could not use their hands at all to block. They could throw a flag if the ref saw any hands outside the chest. Which, like the holding of today, pretty much happened on every play. But you didn’t see many takedowns. Always felt that was ridiculous at the time because it gave a huge advantage to the defense. When they changed the rule it greatly helped the passing game and scoring and the lifetimes of quarterbacks increased significantly!

I have a different approach (nothing new there) to the holding issue. Offensive linemen wear light boxing gloves to prevent them from gripping. The hands can go wherever until a defender breaks an am off ... but with those gloves they can't really hold anything. Problem solved.

The targeting rule is ruining football.

I can't wait for someone to come up with a better product. The NFL has become unwatchable.

Leave Smokeys Howl alone dadgum it😁

The Targeting penalty..... unless it's just blatantly Obvious stop with it

VN Store

Back