The Wussification of Vol Football is over

Here's where we need to be....
Well the next obvious step is to manage a win against MSU. Then lose to Bama hope no major injuries. Beat a USCe @ home, handle UAB like they should, beat Kentucky on the road, lose a close one to Missouri on the road, destroy Vanderbilt at home. Take the extra Bowl prep practices get better and show recruits the team is trending UP.
Do this and the TEAM will have every Vol fan on board. This is a great Fan base.

That is our best case scenario to finish 6-6.
It’s possible but not probable.
I think 4-8 is more likely.

Two more recruiting classes to cleanse the roster. Then we see what we have.
Let’s hope we get some good big linemen in these classes. Ga line just mauled us in second half. Qb can look like NFL star with oline like that and good backs look great.

In all honesty, he's only had one of his own recruting cycles. The first year he was left with whatever the previous staff had left on the board and recruited. Given that, it makes sense year 2 is not what we'd think it ought to be. But year 3, it better be stunningly improved IMO.

Reactions: Big Al Orange
In all honesty, he's only had one of his own recruting cycles. The first year he was left with whatever the previous staff had left on the board and recruited. Given that, it makes sense year 2 is not what we'd think it ought to be. But year 3, it better be stunningly improved IMO.

Hard to recruit players that everyone else is getting when we can't even beat a GA State. Our current players are better than anyone on GA States roster, period. That game was not on our current players it's on the coaching staff.

Why would an elite player want to come to UT right now when they are being recruited by winners like UGA, Bama, Florida, Clemson??

Reactions: 'Boro-vol
Hard to recruit players that everyone else is getting when we can't even beat a GA State. Our current players are better than anyone on GA States roster, period. That game was not on our current players it's on the coaching staff.

Why would an elite player want to come to UT right now when they are being recruited by winners like UGA, Bama, Florida, Clemson??
Ding, Ding, Ding the 64 million dollar question!!!

No

No I am not referencing one week. I said we are getting better Each week. I never said our wins are getting better each week so no need to even bring that up that is irrelevant to the post I made. If you can’t see improvement with this team you obviously aren’t paying close attention. Are we where we want to be? Not even close but that doesn’t mean we aren’t getting better each week.
I have been paying attention, very close attention, and in fact have done quite well this year with the book, why, because I've been paying attention. I do not see the team getting better in relation to other teams. There is a "rate of improvement" seen every year across the board, with most teams, our rate has been slower than most, thus in relationship to NCAA Football, we are not improving. There has been some bright spots-but that is all they are, they have not translated into wins-the way success is measured in Football.

Not a good year so far. Dare I say we will see better football from here on out? This team started as a disaster but has gotten better each week. I won’t say wait until next year only lets just reevaluate at the end of this year.
It feels like they are getting better, but either continual critical errors or very undermanned vs UGA makes it tough for me to judge. There were parts of the UF game that made me think if we didn't have about half dozen critical errors, the game could have been in reach. We hung in there w/ UGA for a bit, but couldn't hold off the tidal wave of talent on UGA. A win this week would calm alot of folks down...it's not a must win, but pretty darn close if we want to keep the wheels on the wagon this year for hopes of a decent finish.

Reactions: I40flyer
It feels like they are getting better, but either continual critical errors or very undermanned vs UGA makes it tough for me to judge. There were parts of the UF game that made me think if we didn't have about half dozen critical errors, the game could have been in reach. We hung in there w/ UGA for a bit, but couldn't hold off the tidal wave of talent on UGA. A win this week would calm alot of folks down...it's not a must win, but pretty darn close if we want to keep the wheels on the wagon this year for hopes of a decent finish.
If we are going to pull the trigger this year, it had better be now, our next game is going to even tougher than UGA. If you think UGA hits hard (you'd be right) I believe BAMA is going hit harder, and more often. Mississippi is not a slouch team, or a cupcake game-they are not BYU or GS, if we are not 100% dedicated to this win, every man- every play, we're going to see it slip away, as we have been seeing all season.

Last edited:
Why is it that so many don’t see just how bad it was when Butch left? Seriously, there were some significant issues and the biggest was lack of a strength and conditioning program followed by Butch just recruiting players by their star ratings and not by specific needs. I mean you can go out and buy all the best car parts you want, but if they are for different makes and models it just won’t work well.

I’m not degrading players here, but not all of them fit together and Pruitt is having to get the parts right to make them fit together and complement each other so this program can roll again like we and everyone else knows it can.

Last edited:
Why is it that so many don’t see just how bad it was when Butch left? Seriously, there were some significant issues and the biggest was lack of a strength and conditioning program followed by Butch just recruiting players by their star ratings and not by specific needs. I mean you can go out and buy all the best car parts you want, but if they are for different makes and models t just won’t work well.

I’m not degrading players here, but not all of them fit together and Pruitt is having to get the parts right to make them fit together and complement each other so this program can roll again like we and everyone else knows it can.
Beautiful analogy! You hit the nail on the head.

Reactions: amorange
Football is a violent sport. Players need to be conditioned both physically and mentally for it.

we fans just better try to get used to it...it's gonna take 3-4 years of Top 15 recruiting for us to compete...that's all there is to it...better strap'em up...sorry for the bad news...

GO BIG ORANGE...BEAT MISS ST!

Reactions: amorange
In the last few days, we have seen the toughness of Coach Pruitt. He dismissed banks, he was proud of the toughness of his team, he benched his starting QB, and he got energized by the crowd. He is tough and his team shows it. He has an outstanding coaching staff. I would say the wussification of Tennessee football is over.

Well Stonewall, the results just aren't there for the "common" foot soldiers to see. Btw, he was likely told to dismiss Banks, that is almost certain. Most believe he waited too long to bench his underperforming starting QB, and whether or not he has an outstanding staff is not determined yet in spite of most signs indicating that is a false statement. Oh, my wife gets energized by the crowd also but I never thought of her as particularly tough.

Why is it that so many don’t see just how bad it was when Butch left? Seriously, there were some significant issues and the biggest was lack of a strength and conditioning program followed by Butch just recruiting players by their star ratings and not by specific needs. I mean you can go out and buy all the best car parts you want, but if they are for different makes and models it just won’t work well.

It's not like like he is trying to build a Ferrari out of Yugo parts. Why not bring some innovation into the equation by fitting those Chevy parts to this Buick Roadmaster to keep it rolling? It can't all be about recruit, recruit, recruit. Not being competitive shows deeper problems than not having 5*'s 2 deep.

Well Stonewall, the results just aren't there for the "common" foot soldiers to see. Btw, he was likely told to dismiss Banks, that is almost certain. Most believe he waited too long to bench his underperforming starting QB, and whether or not he has an outstanding staff is not determined yet in spite of most signs indicating that is a false statement. Oh, my wife gets energized by the crowd also but I never thought of her as particularly tough.
It's "Old Pete" Longstreet, not the mighty Stonewall. Everything else is a fair point, except I defer to you about your wife.

Reactions: Type Orange+
Still behind schedule. In year two, should have handled Georgia State, survived BYU, and succumbed to Florida and Georgia late.
I think all of know about Ga State. Most of us have moved on rather than looking backwards. Some always dwell in w past Mf some look forward. Nothing one can do about the past. It is over.

Reactions: VolFan4life24
It's not like like he is trying to build a Ferrari out of Yugo parts. Why not bring some innovation into the equation by fitting those Chevy parts to this Buick Roadmaster to keep it rolling? It can't all be about recruit, recruit, recruit. Not being competitive shows deeper problems than not having 5*'s 2 deep.

I get what your saying, but there are times where I think you are better off with a 4 star and a couple of three stars who compliment each other’s abilities and fit rather than three 4 star recruits who’s skills don’t compliment one another and don’t mesh.

I honestly believe that there are times where less is actually more.

In the last few days, we have seen the toughness of Coach Pruitt. He dismissed banks, he was proud of the toughness of his team, he benched his starting QB, and he got energized by the crowd. He is tough and his team shows it. He has an outstanding coaching staff. I would say the wussification of Tennessee football is over.

I agree but not the wussification of this fan base.

I get what your saying, but there are times where I think you are better off with a 4 star and a couple of three stars who compliment each other’s abilities and fit rather than three 4 star recruits who’s skills don’t compliment one another and don’t mesh.

I honestly believe that there are times where less is actually more.
I suppose my frustration comes from the fact that 10 years ago Tennessee fielded a competitive team with 2 walk-ons starting on the offensive line. This constant narrative of "He has to have his own recruits" is just a BS excuse. Not saying this is your take you understand.

VN Store

Back