The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Next-Gen Update

Rifleman

Downloaded this at dawn and got to run around a little! Looks incredible and combat feels far less clunky than the original, especially against groups. Sign quick casting is a great change. I was able to cast Yrden for a wraith trap and then hit it with axii to stun it when it entered the trap without opening a menu or trying to toggle signs. Fighting wraiths always felt immersion breaking before, especially on console.

The Witcher 3 Complete Edition PS5 Review: A Brilliant Game Made Even Better

Last edited:
Never had an issue with wraiths. Even of the flying monsters sucked. But at least they made fun of themselves with the correction.

I don't remember enough about the game to determine how impactful the change to casting signs is, but I'm excited to play this. I'll fire it up when I'm done with God of War: Ragnarok

Ok played some last night and it was buggy for me, and didn't run well. But this was a similar issue I had with one of Cyberpunks updates, so I am hopeful it's not a long term issue. I didnt check but I doubt my computer than runs Cyberpunk with full ray trace cant handle remastered graphics.

If you are on PC I dont think they really updated casting signs, at least since the GOTY edition that I have. At least it still works the exact same, maybe there is some added functionality, but I havent found it.

Graphics look crazy good for the most part. There are some issues with things not rendering completely, but I think that is due to the bugs/problems I mentioned above.

I have to say something I'm very disappointed to be saying.... this game really doesn't stand the test of time as well as I'd hoped.

I have a game breaking bug. Supposed to talk to avalach but he just says “yes” and doesn’t prompt any furthering in the quest. It’s an end game mission too. No fix. Just have to wait for a patch. Insanity. Games been out since 2015 and still broken.

Reactions: Rifleman
I have to say something I'm very disappointed to be saying.... this game really doesn't stand the test of time as well as I'd hoped.
I disagree. I’d been loving reliving this game, up until I got stopped by a bug with no fix that only a game update could fix. But with CDPR, that’s become standard practice. I kind of hate the age of updates because these companies have no incentive to play test. We are the play testers, and we pay them to do it.

I disagree. I’d been loving reliving this game, up until I got stopped by a bug with no fix that only a game update could fix. But with CDPR, that’s become standard practice. I kind of hate the age of updates because these companies have no incentive to play test. We are the play testers, and we pay them to do it.

I just felt like the overabundance of fetch quests and pointless "Go clear our these rats" type of missions is very out of date. Elden Ring pretty much changed the game on open-worlds.

And the combat feels clunkier than I remember. So many newer games have much more refined, exciting combat. Enemies barely even stagger in this game, they can literally hit you while you're hitting them.

W3 will always hold a special place in my heart, I just don't think it has aged well at all.

I just felt like the overabundance of fetch quests and pointless "Go clear our these rats" type of missions is very out of date. Elden Ring pretty much changed the game on open-worlds.

And the combat feels clunkier than I remember. So many newer games have much more refined, exciting combat. Enemies barely even stagger in this game, they can literally hit you while you're hitting them.

W3 will always hold a special place in my heart, I just don't think it has aged well at all.

Witcher 3 still has its roots in Eurojank. Witcher 1 is full unabashed Eurojank, W2 less so, and W3 even less, but it's still there to some degree.

That said, Witcher 3 does have some excellent side quests, but ultimately quite a bit of filler as well. I agree that Elden Ring has changed the game with open world titles. Fewer side quests, more exploration. Let the world design itself hook you rather than having to clear rats out of a cellar.

Witcher 3 still has its roots in Eurojank. Witcher 1 is full unabashed Eurojank, W2 less so, and W3 even less, but it's still there to some degree.

That said, Witcher 3 does have some excellent side quests, but ultimately quite a bit of filler as well. I agree that Elden Ring has changed the game with open world titles. Fewer side quests, more exploration. Let the world design itself hook you rather than having to clear rats out of a cellar.
I guess I am not seeing the distinction.

W3 quests arent fun because there is a quest marker? You still end up doing the same thing. Make it from point A to B, kill whatever is there, grab the loot.

You can turn off the quest markers, I think you can turn off all markers now if you dont want to see the question marks either. And you can still do most side quests without first talking to the quest giver if you want more of a pure exploration game.

Yeah you cant advance the main storyline much without going through the proper questlines, but that's what a storyline offers. And the map isnt locked behind the storyline.

Idk, seems like the tools and mechanics are already there.

And there are plenty of already unmarked things to find and do. And there is also the hidden portal that was added and has a puzzle attached that no one has figured out yet if you really dont want your hand held.

I guess I am not seeing the distinction.

W3 quests arent fun because there is a quest marker? You still end up doing the same thing. Make it from point A to B, kill whatever is there, grab the loot.

You can turn off the quest markers, I think you can turn off all markers now if you dont want to see the question marks either. And you can still do most side quests without first talking to the quest giver if you want more of a pure exploration game.

Yeah you cant advance the main storyline much without going through the proper questlines, but that's what a storyline offers. And the map isnt locked behind the storyline.

Idk, seems like the tools and mechanics are already there.

And there are plenty of already unmarked things to find and do. And there is also the hidden portal that was added and has a puzzle attached that no one has figured out yet if you really dont want your hand held.

I've been enjoying it with the markers off, and the combat seems way better than I remembered.

Capture.JPG

Reactions: LouderVol

VN Store

Back