The "We don't give a damn about the whole state of Alabama" Postgame Report

Holy cow. I agree with Ktown on something. šŸ˜‰

Agreed. Pearl was exciting, but inbounds plays were never his forte. Nor were end of game situations.

I can't wait for Dontae Hall to graduate/leave Bama. He's been a thorn in UT.

I'm sorry, but I think you have forgotten much. Pearl teams had tons of great inbound plays. A ton.

End of games not as much. But some of that had to do with his style not being geared so much to methodical 1/2 ct offense. When teams could set their D and demand our offense slow down an execute, then they got advantage.

The 8-0 run was only 3 scores. You'll be out of TOs real quick if they're taken after every back-to-back-to-back possessions scoring sequence. Plus Bowden was put on Petty instead of Pons as an adjustment.

Twas a big win. Bama has good, long athletic players and their length was well used to cut down our ball movement and usual offensive flow. But you know what? It got our attention and how tough it will be in many games to come. We haven't even played the best conference teams yet from what it looks. We have Kentucky twice, and LSU, Ole Miss, Aub all on the road. Miss St, Fla, Mizzou and USC can be a problem when they're hot. So we've had a good start but it's going to get tougher now and close games are going to be more common than our first 5. Then we play W Vir next Saturday and they just knocked off Kan today.

Good write up Z. Feels like 2012 in here...haha.

Not calling timeout during that run almost cost me a new tv remote.

Perimeter defense was abysmal. Bowden put the clamps on Petty, finally. Bama kept the came close by hitting 10 3s to our 3 3s.

Rebounds and loose balls seemed to find their way to Alabama on too many occasions.

Felt like we played some of our best basketball of the season in the first 10 minutes, and then some of our worst over the next 30.

This team needed a challenge that it has not gotten in a long time outside of parts of that Florida game on the road. Seeing them persevere and stealing a win they didn't probably deserve while playing the worst offensive game of the season was a positive sign. Championship teams do that.

I would call a lot of them 50/50 rebounds. We lost out on most of them, when they were contested.

I was wondering when our good start would be mentioned. It seemed like we should have been up by 20, but just couldn't seem to put enough points on the board. The last part of the first half wasn't much better than the first few minutes of the second half defensively. At least we played really good at the start.

We played terrible. But to Bamas credit their last two games have been the best theyā€™ve played all year.

Reactions: RollerVol
Transition defense and pick n roll defense has to improve. Guys have to have a sense of urgency when the other team gets the ball and get back down the court. In the last two games, I have noticed some players walking or jogging back on transition d. There have been some plays in the last two games were the opposing player misses the shot in transition, but because we are lazy another opposing player rebounds and scores. Bone and Lamonte have to do better on defense because they put our post guys in bad situations. I donā€™t know if one of the issues on defense is a lack of communication, but it needs to be corrected. It was disappointing watching guys leave whoever they picked up in trasition or off an Alabama offensive rebound to go find whoever they think is their man.

Last edited:
Reactions: wlkx
I like that we tried to play a slower tempo but we just didnā€™t execute and were not shooting well. However, weā€™ve got to be better on defense. I feel like a broken record but the defensive glass seems like the most obvious opportunity.

I hope we don't face too many teams that are that athletic. The inside/out offense wasn't working. They played really good D in the paint AND were able to get hands in our shooter's faces. Good thing that they were also laying bricks from the free throw line. Too many offensive rebounds taken by Bama as well... although TN countered with several of their own.

Agreed, As much as I hate to say it, gotta avoid Duke in the tourney in order to win a chanpionship. Can beat any other team in the country but Duke is like Bama x 100. Horrible match up for us.

Reactions: Vols All Day
Just saw the end of the Auburn game. Barnes is so much better at end of game situations.

Great win in a tough game. There are always nights like this during a season. Great teams and coaches find a way to win the bad games.
Defense travels and weā€™ve slid on our identity this past 2-3 weeks. Weā€™re gonna need to get back to our roots to traverse the Sec and the tourney

Google BRUCE PEARL INBOUNDS PLAYS & SEE THESE Pearl is a recognized master at these
Shaka Smart's 2013 Basketball Coaches Clinic: Bruce Pearl: Pressure ...
https://www.championshipproductions.com/.../Shaka-Smarts-2013-Basketball-Coaches...

Shaka Smart's 2013 Basketball Coaches Clinic: Bruce Pearl: Pressure Defense and Sideline Out of Bounds Plays - Basketball -- Championship Productions, Inc.
Images for Bruce Pearl's Inbounds plays
View attachment 190170
View attachment 190171
View attachment 190175
View attachment 190173
View attachment 190174
View attachment 190172
More images for Bruce Pearl's Inbounds playsReport images
Web results
Bruce Pearl Flex Duck-In | Sideline Out of Bounds | Pinterest | Bruce ...

This is a SLOB play Bruce Pearl had a lot of success with while he was at Tennessee. What made thisplay so effective is that he had a 6'10ā€ Brian Williams and.
How To Defend Out Of Bounds Situations and Plays
How To Defend Out Of Bounds Situations and Plays
We do not practice offense not to score and out-of-bounds plays are a part of our .... Also, Bruce Pearls really aggressive teams at UWM and early at Tennessee ...

Thatā€™s crazy that you found the Shaka Smart coachā€™s clinic video. I was there that day. Bruce was awesome of course.

Twas a big win. Bama has good, long athletic players and their length was well used to cut down our ball movement and usual offensive flow. But you know what? It got our attention and how tough it will be in many games to come. We haven't even played the best conference teams yet from what it looks. We have Kentucky twice, and LSU, Ole Miss, Aub all on the road. Miss St, Fla, Mizzou and USC can be a problem when they're hot. So we've had a good start but it's going to get tougher now and close games are going to be more common than our first 5. Then we play W Vir next Saturday and they just knocked off Kan today.

Good post

I hope we don't face too many teams that are that athletic. The inside/out offense wasn't working. They played really good D in the paint AND were able to get hands in our shooter's faces. Good thing that they were also laying bricks from the free throw line. Too many offensive rebounds taken by Bama as well... although TN countered with several of their own.
Why not? We proved we can beat them. I am pretty confident this team doesn't sit around hoping that get a gift wrapped easy path to a national championship. How did the easy path work out last year?

Last edited:
Im over the Pearl lovefest, his teams never could play defense n 1/2 court, he try get turnover with press , his teams were never
as disciplined or fundamentally sound as Barnes teams volnation 10 times better off than CBP era GO VOLS...ā€¦...

"We don't give a damn about Alabama" Actually, I like Alabama and Mississippi BECAUSE they keep the beautiful wonderful state of Tennessee from sliding into the Gulf of Mexico. Other than that, I agree whole heartedly with the OP.

Im over the Pearl lovefest, his teams never could play defense n 1/2 court, he try get turnover with press , his teams were never
as disciplined or fundamentally sound as Barnes teams volnation 10 times better off than CBP era GO VOLS...ā€¦...
I donā€™t underestimate what Pearl did for UT basketball. In fact, Iā€™m grateful for him. But Barnes teams are more disciplined and he is an outstanding developer of basketball players and young men.

Why not? We proved we can beat them. I am pretty confident this team doesn't sit around hoping that get a gift wrapped easy path to a national championship. How did the easy path work out last year?

Because I want 2 SEC championships before the NCAAT. We already know that our inside game will struggle versus long, athletic opponents and there's no need to show our hand how we'll attack it.

Reactions: ZZ13

VN Store

Back