"the Vols are back!"

Dawgoutofwater

I keep seeing posts where people are saying y'all should have been 10-2..you were beaten 35-13 by Bama, 43-14 by UGA and 34-3 by Florida. So which one of these games were you going to win in that hypothetical situation? 9-3? Absolutely. Without the first two losses I could definitely have seen Tenn winning 9 games but where does the 10th come from?

Negan

Go Big Orange
I keep seeing posts where people are saying y'all should have been 10-2..you were beaten 35-13 by Bama, 43-14 by UGA and 34-3 by Florida. So which one of these games were you going to win in that hypothetical situation? 9-3? Absolutely. Without the first two losses I could definitely have seen Tenn winning 9 games but where does the 10th come from?
Had it not been for our poor QB performance against Bama, the game was winnable. In fact, Tennessee held Bama to less points during the regular season than any other team. We played Bama hard. Unfortunately, Florida and Georgia came at a time when the team was still searching for an identity. Perhaps the Georgia and Florida games could have played out differently had we not been in a rut at the beginning of the year? Who knows? After all, UGA got beat by USCjr, a team that Tennessee beat handily. When we can establish consistent, high-level play at QB, Tennessee will undoubtedly sbe a contender for the East again. Past is the past. We are looking forward to next year’s team.

MBVFL1

The Vols are BACK...…………...get back to me on Sept 27th...….Filmer needs to quit playing Barry Alvarez and play AD.

View attachment 260799
What? First off who is Filmer? If your talking about Coach Fulmer what has he done but be a supportive AD allowing Pruitt free to hire who he wants money be damned. This is the type of administration we've needed for awhile. If we had only had it 10 years ago we possibly wouldn't have had to go through what we had been dealing with. We're on the right path, far from being back to where we want to be but we're getting there.

Behr

There's no if this team is not built to come back
I think Tennessee is back in terms of the days of Tennessee just fighting for bowl eligibility are over.

But, I think some folks need to remember, you can have a damn fine football team in the SEC and not win anything.

Alabama and Florida were 11-2 last season and finished in the top 10 and neither of them won anything.

So, IMO, Tennessee can be "back" without winning the East or the SEC.
Lol, your VolGator nut huggers ain't gonna like that.

Advol

What? First off who is Filmer? If your talking about Coach Fulmer what has he done but be a supportive AD allowing Pruitt free to hire who he wants money be damned. This is the type of administration we've needed for awhile. If we had only had it 10 years ago we possibly wouldn't have had to go through what we had been dealing with. We're on the right path, far from being back to where we want to be but we're getting there.
Filmer…….is our AD.:cool: And yes he has done a good job. Just shut up and be an AD. We don't need him to cheer and make any statement about the Vols being back. IF and when the VOLs are back it will show up on the field and NOT outta Filmers comments. io89.PNG

jakez4ut

Patience... It's what's for dinner
I think Tennessee is back in terms of the days of Tennessee just fighting for bowl eligibility are over.

But, I think some folks need to remember, you can have a damn fine football team in the SEC and not win anything.

Alabama and Florida were 11-2 last season and finished in the top 10 and neither of them won anything.

So, IMO, Tennessee can be "back" without winning the East or the SEC.
i haven't really commented on the "vols are back" deal, i honestly don't really care. i'm glad he's fired up though.

but to your point here....

i think the days of just putting and "L" next to UF, UGA and Bama are over.

should we expect to win all those games, no. all three are still ahead of us right now by whatever definition wants to use. the gap is closing, the field is more level than it was.

so to me, the expectation of losing those games year in and year out............i think that ish is over....

Johnnyreb#VFL

It’s all about presentation. Fulmer is the new hype man. How did FDR get elected and eventually pull the US out of the Great Depression prior to WWII? By speaking on the success and inevitable turnaround of our country! Sometimes for hours. And the public would tune in to listen on the radio bc he brought hope and optimism back to the US spirit.

Boca Vol

Fan of #31
Lab Rat
Meh. Remember Bob Shoop? That was one of the bigger hires back in '16. Hiring coaches on paper is one thing. Whether it works, we'll see.

MBVFL1

Meh. Remember Bob Shoop? That was one of the bigger hires back in '16. Hiring coaches on paper is one thing. Whether it works, we'll see.
Shoop was and still is a good d coordinator and yeah that was a big time hire but it wasn't the right fit with Butch. He was micromanaged like crazy wasn't allowed to bring his own guys in, so yeah that was just a recipe for disaster and that's exactly what it was. Pruitt actually listens to Ansley when making these decisions with the coaching changes on the defensive side, Pruitt seems to trust Ansley so that's a good thing.

Boca Vol

Fan of #31
Lab Rat
Shoop was and still is a good d coordinator and yeah that was a big time hire but it wasn't the right fit with Butch. He was micromanaged like crazy wasn't allowed to bring his own guys in, so yeah that was just a recipe for disaster and that's exactly what it was. Pruitt actually listens to Ansley when making these decisions with the coaching changes on the defensive side, Pruitt seems to trust Ansley so that's a good thing.
That's sort of my point. There have been big hires here that haven't worked out for whatever reason. Things can look really good on paper (coaching staffs, rosters, etc.) but no one really knows until you see it on the field.

I think Pruitt is constantly evaluating his coaching staff and making upgrades as he sees the need. Nothing wrong with that. Coaching staffs should have some turnover year after year, IMO...not at the OC & DC positions but the others.

MBVFL1

That's sort of my point. There have been big hires here that haven't worked out for whatever reason. Things can look really good on paper (coaching staffs, rosters, etc.) but no one really knows until you see it on the field.

I think Pruitt is constantly evaluating his coaching staff and making upgrades as he sees the need. Nothing wrong with that. Coaching staffs should have some turnover year after year, IMO...not at the OC & DC positions but the others.
I agree with that, if other schools aren't pushing or atleast interested then you don't have the right coaches

Delmar

More appropriate to say we are on our way back. Certainly the foundation is better than under Shower Boy and Botch. We will not be “back” until we are competing for an East title year in and year out. Anything else is just being average.

orangebloodgmc

More appropriate to say we are on our way back. Certainly the foundation is better than under Shower Boy and Botch. We will not be “back” until we are competing for an East title year in and year out. Anything else is just being average.
Yah, well, until somebody beats us, we are undefeated in 2020.

Florida, on the other hand, is winless.

VN Store

Sponsors