"the Vols are back!"

Matt2496

I think Tennessee is back in terms of the days of Tennessee just fighting for bowl eligibility are over.

But, I think some folks need to remember, you can have a damn fine football team in the SEC and not win anything.

Alabama and Florida were 11-2 last season and finished in the top 10 and neither of them won anything.

So, IMO, Tennessee can be "back" without winning the East or the SEC.
I would give my left nut for an 11-2 season.

PhoenixAZVol

pandemonium reigns
I don't think he has many true haters at the moment. Especially with how he closed this past season and recruiting class.

The thing with Pruitt that will determine his success or failure here is his ability to build an offensive staff. When he took over, I figured defense and recruiting would be fine given his proven track record as an assistant in those areas. Through 2 years, recruiting his been really good and he's made the defense better, particularly the front 7. Having said that, I think if Pruitt ultimately is successful here it'll be because of his hire of Jim Chaney. Chaney could really be the key to the whole thing.
Don’t forget that many of us were close to sending a moving van to his house during the bowl game. The onside kick and last few minutes saved him but that one could have turned out really bad. Since we won all is forgotten.

HoptownVol

Don’t forget that many of us were close to sending a moving van to his house during the bowl game. The onside kick and last few minutes saved him but that one could have turned out really bad. Since we won all is forgotten.
Yep, jury is suspended for the meantime... we may reconvene in October.

ABINGDON VOL FAN

Much like I could care less about a keyboard assessment of my supposed feelings toward someone.

It is more akin to apathy and amusement than anything I would say at this point since you're curious.

That's why I made the crack about channeling his inner Kiffin. Guess you missed the part.
I thought the game had passed Fulmer by and he should have been let go as H.C. In hindsight it appears he would still have been a better option than the three coaches who followed him. However I believe he has done a good job of AD since he has taken that role the last two years. He is no doubt a VFL and is all in on making UT a top tier program in all sports.

ABINGDON VOL FAN

But the poor start was because of JG’s pathetic play which affected the demeanor of all aspects of the team(Offense & Defense) I cannot emphasize enough that if JG continues to be the starter we will have more games in 2020 like the bowl game vs. Indiana.

Last edited:

NeverWe'llSever

Answer: Vol Nation
All I was trying to say is that you can have a highly respected, nationally relevant football team.....and they don't win the league, the division, etc.
Your post was very reasonable and I totally agree with it. Even the East, I’d celebrate it, but the SEC title is when the Vols will be back. We’d be in the playoffs. If they won a NY6 bowl, though, that is definitely something worth celebrating. I’d take Florida’s 2019 season next year in a heartbeat.

CR-vol

Your post was very reasonable and I totally agree with it. Even the East, I’d celebrate it, but the SEC title is when the Vols will be back. We’d be in the playoffs. If they won a NY6 bowl, though, that is definitely something worth celebrating. I’d take Florida’s 2019 season next year in a heartbeat.
You said you totally agreed with him then you disagreed by saying we are only back when we win the SEC.

We don't have to win the SEC to be back was his point. If we beat the teams we are supposed to and knock off 1 or 2 of the 4 that negavols say are "automatic losses" this season then we are definitely back even if we don't win the SEC or the East.

If we do that we are ahead of schedule because conventional wisdom says that's not going to happen in 2020 but 2021 is the year that we should come back.

I think we have enough pieces to make the come back this season. I believe we will and I love seeing some smack talk like this from Fulmer. I can't imagine any of the previous empty suit AD's saying or even thinking anything of the sort.

NeverWe'llSever

Answer: Vol Nation
You said you totally agreed with him then you disagreed by saying we are only back when we win the SEC.

We don't have to win the SEC to be back was his point. If we beat the teams we are supposed to and knock off 1 or 2 of the 4 that negavols say are "automatic losses" this season then we are definitely back even if we don't win the SEC or the East.

If we do that we are ahead of schedule because conventional wisdom says that's not going to happen in 2020 but 2021 is the year that we should come back.

I think we have enough pieces to make the come back this season. I believe we will and I love seeing some smack talk like this from Fulmer. I can't imagine any of the previous empty suit AD's saying or even thinking anything of the sort.
He said Tennessee’s days of struggling for bowl eligibility are over, and in that sense we are back, but you can still be a really good team and not win anything. There are still levels we have yet to reach. That’s what he said. And I agree with that. But in my opinion, Tennessee is not truly back until we win the SEC. It’s been 21 years. Longest drought ever. Enough is enough. I want some championship hardware and I don’t care if we win it after going 9-3 in the regular season.

ABINGDON VOL FAN

We are “back” when we are competitive to contend for Division, Conference and National titles. My definition of “Back” is to be relevant again unlike the last 20 years excluding the Dobb’s arc. JMO. Of course we should win one of the titles listed above every now and then to stay relevant.

Wezcoast

I think Tennessee is back in terms of the days of Tennessee just fighting for bowl eligibility are over.

But, I think some folks need to remember, you can have a damn fine football team in the SEC and not win anything.

Alabama and Florida were 11-2 last season and finished in the top 10 and neither of them won anything.

So, IMO, Tennessee can be "back" without winning the East or the SEC.
I'd take 11-2 and not even sniffing the SECCG and do cartwheels down I-75

Wezcoast

That's the frustrating part about our fanbase. We're too bipolar . We'd name a street after Pruitt the Sunday after a big win and drag his body down it the following Sunday after a loss.

utchs81

I didnt say anything sucked.

Awful big talk from an AD that ran this program into the ditch in the first place running a program that scraped into a bowl game and is looking up at a lot of rivals in recruiting though.

Guess Fulmer was channeling his inner Kiffin.
You may be right because ultimately Phillip was responsible but one must remember that the athletic department was being run by an incompetent string of bean counters and business types who had no idea of how an Athletic department worked. It has taken three years to wipe that stink off and the smell is already much fresher.

TNinSC

down in southeast ga
I'd comfortably say, "the Vols are again relevant". The 2019 season ended on a great note, but i still can't fully shake how it started.

JonGrudensAgent

I thought the game had passed Fulmer by and he should have been let go as H.C. In hindsight it appears he would still have been a better option than the three coaches who followed him. However I believe he has done a good job of AD since he has taken that role the last two years. He is no doubt a VFL and is all in on making UT a top tier program in all sports.
Agreed.

He is a vast improvement over the previous recent ADs. Like the Harper hire and think the jury is trending in the right direction on Pruitt.

Found his ass biting comment to be a little silly however. Fulmer has always been better playing the humble, low key card over the tough guy card in front of a microphone IMO.

Even the guy on Yahoo found it funny.

Tennessee AD Phillip Fulmer: 'Before long we’ll be taking a bite out of everybody we play’s ass'

MikeVol44

Don’t forget that many of us were close to sending a moving van to his house during the bowl game. .
WTH???? Sheer stupidity......just can't be serious here...... Cheney is the one who SUCKED it up for most of the game....poorly adjusting to what Indiana's D was giving us underneath....
And JG had just a flat out terrible game......he was back to his worse then mediocre ways.......

But I guess STUPID is as STUPID THINKS AND DOES.....

VN Store

Sponsors