"the Vols are back!"

FlyFishnVol

I don't think he has many true haters at the moment. Especially with how he closed this past season and recruiting class.

The thing with Pruitt that will determine his success or failure here is his ability to build an offensive staff. When he took over, I figured defense and recruiting would be fine given his proven track record as an assistant in those areas. Through 2 years, recruiting his been really good and he's made the defense better, particularly the front 7. Having said that, I think if Pruitt ultimately is successful here it'll be because of his hire of Jim Chaney. Chaney could really be the key to the whole thing.
agree, I think every new HC with the team he inherited, would probably not have done much better, the perfect indicator was the 4th quarter performances.........not enough horses in the corral.

99gator

Congressman
I think Tennessee is back in terms of the days of Tennessee just fighting for bowl eligibility are over.

But, I think some folks need to remember, you can have a damn fine football team in the SEC and not win anything.

Alabama and Florida were 11-2 last season and finished in the top 10 and neither of them won anything.

So, IMO, Tennessee can be "back" without winning the East or the SEC.

WestTennVol

I don't think he has many true haters at the moment. Especially with how he closed this past season and recruiting class.

The thing with Pruitt that will determine his success or failure here is his ability to build an offensive staff. When he took over, I figured defense and recruiting would be fine given his proven track record as an assistant in those areas. Through 2 years, recruiting his been really good and he's made the defense better, particularly the front 7. Having said that, I think if Pruitt ultimately is successful here it'll be because of his hire of Jim Chaney. Chaney could really be the key to the whole thing.

100% agree with this post. So give Pruitt credit for acknowledging his coaching shortcomings and being smart enough to make a proven safe hire. The Chaney hire seems to me that he has a damn clue. Dooley knew his job was on the line and hired an unproven DC in Sal. Are you to tell me Dooleys not smart enough to know that. Given the history of difficulty from changing from 4/3 to a 3/4. Always an adjustment period. Dooley knew what he was doing. My opinion is he cracked under the pressure of this job and found a way out. I'm rambling here, but moral is staff hires will make or break you. The Chaney hire was high % decision cause you know at some level he will be successful. Are there better OCs out there? Sure. Those coaches can be a crap shoot find though.

JonGrudensAgent

We could have finished 5th in the country and still been third in the SEC. would you also say that sucks?
I didnt say anything sucked.

Awful big talk from an AD that ran this program into the ditch in the first place running a program that scraped into a bowl game and is looking up at a lot of rivals in recruiting though.

Guess Fulmer was channeling his inner Kiffin.

ABINGDON VOL FAN

I didnt say anything sucked.

Awful big talk from an AD that ran this program into the ditch in the first place running a program that scraped into a bowl game and is looking up at a lot of rivals in recruiting though.

Guess Fulmer was channeling his inner Kiffin.
Just curious , are you a Vol fan and how long have you been carrying the Fulmer hate ?

PhoenixAZVol

pandemonium reigns
Like others have commented, if we lose all four of the games where we will be underdogs we certainly will NOT be back. If we win one, preferably two of these games you could perhaps start to think about us being back. Remember. Year 3 was supposed to be Butch’s breakout season. We had the talent and should have been 10-2 and won the SEC. likewise this will be a very important season for CJP. Will his coaching improve enough to win the games we are supposed to and steal a few? TBD.

ABINGDON VOL FAN

Been a fan since the Johnny Jones days.

Calling BS on Fulmer's false bravado doesn't equal hate but I am far from a fan of his. He went from being a good coach to being a mouth piece talking a good game somewhere along 2002.
2020 - 2002 = 18 years. Not healthy to carry hate or whatever you have toward Fulmer that long. I’m sure Fulmer could care less.

Mccage

Really need to get a win vs. one of the big three next year to keep this program projecting upward. Also no slip ups like last year. We lost out on some big time recruits that we had on the line until the Georgia State and BYU losses. Keep grinding vols.
Please name the recruits we lost.

JonGrudensAgent

2020 - 2002 = 18 years. Not healthy to carry hate or whatever you have toward Fulmer that long. I’m sure Fulmer could care less.
Much like I could care less about a keyboard assessment of my supposed feelings toward someone.

It is more akin to apathy and amusement than anything I would say at this point since you're curious.

That's why I made the crack about channeling his inner Kiffin. Guess you missed the part.

PhoenixAZVol

pandemonium reigns
I think Tennessee is back in terms of the days of Tennessee just fighting for bowl eligibility are over.

But, I think some folks need to remember, you can have a damn fine football team in the SEC and not win anything.

Alabama and Florida were 11-2 last season and finished in the top 10 and neither of them won anything.

So, IMO, Tennessee can be "back" without winning the East or the SEC.
There you go again patronizing us.

VN Store

Sponsors