The "Twitch"

Provide me a source to prove that.

“Slow twitch fibers are fibers that are responsible for the strength and endurance of a muscle only, and not the speed in which a muscle contracts. And a slow twitch response is defined as one where your muscles can undergo extensive repetitive contractions before fatigue, that is, before getting tired.”

Now this definition of a slow twitch fiber is not my definition, but rather, it is taken directly from medical textbooks used throughout the world.

Therefore, any training routine that puts your muscles through repetitive contractions (i.e., repetitions), like the ones done during weightlifting and/or plyometric training, is a slow twitch exercise program. It’s good only for strength and endurance and never for speed.

Fast twitch fibers are responsible for the speed of muscular contraction, and a fast twitch response is the ability of a muscle to rapidly contract to a specific distance over a short period of time.

Therefore, any training program that conditions your muscles to go from a state of complete relaxation to an immediate state of contraction is a speed training program.

Plyometric training and weight training - Are they the same as speed training?

Here's an explanation from a men's health website:

slow twitch muscle fiber, also known as Type I. As their name suggests, slow twitch muscle fibers contract at a slower rate than their fast twitch counterparts. Unlike fast twitch muscle fibers, however, the Type I fibers can continue twitching at a steady rate for extended periods of time. What this means is that slow twitch muscle fibers are great for aerobic activities such as long distance running, swimming, and biking.

Fast twitch muscle fibers contract at a higher rate than Type I fibers meaning that they ultimately produce more power. The drawback is that they cannot maintain this rapid pace for long periods of time so fast twitch muscle fibers are best for anaerobic activities like sprinting or body building.

Provide me a source to prove that.

I think you answered your own question kptvol.....slow twitch = endurance...like you neck muscle comparison...fast twich = speed....like your building leg muscle means you are faster comparison...

I have been drinking...so it is possible I missed the whole point.....oh well:thumbsup:

I think you answered your own question kptvol.....slow twitch = endurance...like you neck muscle comparison...fast twich = speed....like your building leg muscle means you are faster comparison...

I have been drinking...so it is possible I missed the whole point.....oh well:thumbsup:

I wasn't asking a question.

And a slow twitch response is defined as one where your muscles can undergo extensive repetitive contractions before fatigue, that is, before getting tired.”

That's the important part. If you're looking to bench 50 pounds a gazillion times, you want slow twitch. If you want to bench 300 pounds a couple of times, fast twitch.

Fast twitch fibers are responsible for the speed of muscular contraction, and a fast twitch response is the ability of a muscle to rapidly contract to a specific distance over a short period of time.

Which is where you get brute strength.

I provided the source you asked for. There's really nothing more for me to say.

I'd love to see the "medical textbook" where he found that. I own a dozen or so that all disagree with him. Slow twitch fibers are not for generating heavy force, period.

He's obviously blurring the definition between strength and endurance. A distance runner has strong legs, sure. But his legs won't be as strong as NFL offensive lineman that would probably die trying to run 10 miles.

Last edited:
How about this, pure old meanness will kick any twitching athlete's ass. :cool2:

I provided the source you asked for. There's really nothing more for me to say.

From the same website:

muscles like the arms and legs, the fast twitch fibers dominate. This allows for powerful forces to be generated over a short period of time.

fast twitch muscle fibers are responsible for giving the athlete his power

in postural muscles of the spine, the slow twitch fibers dominate. This is because slow twitch fibers can undergo extensive repetitive contractions without fatigue.

PecFlex.gif

VN Store

Back