The Tom Hanks Debate

Watch About Schmidt. It's the least Nicholson role of all time and also one of his best.
Seen it and liked it. But like The Vow, it's Jack playing a more human Jack.

Seen it and liked it. But like The Vow, it's Jack playing a more human Jack.

There's not even a hint of "Jack" in his performance, which was widely noted by critics when it was released. Every performance by every actor has some degree of themselves in it.

There's not even a hint of "Jack" in his performance, which was widely noted by critics when it was released. Every performance by every actor has some degree of themselves in it.
We're going to continue to disagree on this one. I thought the most Un-Jack role he's ever played was in Heartburn.

Any debate on A-list actors of the past quarter century has to have these names at the top of the list:

Tom Hanks
Daniel Day Lewis
Joaquin Phoenix
Brad Pitt
Leonardo DiCaprio

Honorable mentions: Denzel Washington, Will Smith, Kevin Spacey, Christian Bale, and Gary Oldman

I disagree with the OP. Hanks’ resume is nearly unmatched. Opinions are opinions and I respect that, but Hanks is one of the GOATs, if not the GOAT. He’s in that conversation.

Last edited:
Any debate on A-list actors of the past quarter century has to have these names at the top of the list:

Tom Hanks
Daniel Day Lewis
Joaquin Phoenix
Brad Pitt
Leonardo DiCaprio

Honorable mentions: Denzel Washington, Will Smith, Kevin Spacey, Christian Bale, and Gary Oldman

I disagree with the OP. Hanks’ resume is nearly unmatched. Opinions are opinions and I respect that, but Hanks is one of the GOATs, if not the GOAT. He’s in that conversation.

I love Daniel-Day Lewis' work, but can he do anything other than historical roles? Like, could he be Ironman? Could he be a lead in a romantic comedy?

I love Daniel-Day Lewis' work, but can he do anything other than historical roles? Like, could he be Ironman? Could he be a lead in a romantic comedy?

Rom coms are honestly the easiest films to act, IMO. But I mean I can appreciate someone that’s a method actor like Daniel Day Lewis trying it out. I respect comedy actors that branch out to serious roles like Jonah Hill and Paul Rudd too.

Rom coms are honestly the easiest films to act, IMO. But I mean I can appreciate someone that’s a method actor like Daniel Day Lewis trying it out. I respect comedy actors that branch out to serious roles like Jonah Hill and Paul Rudd too.

The people who are good at rom coms make it look easy. It's easy for McConaughey to be himself. Tell Jesse Eisenberg to be a charismatic love interest. Try to make Notting Hill with Denzel. And some of the rom com roles are hard. It's hard for anybody to be Tom Hanks in Sleepless in Seattle. Nothing DDL has done makes me think he could do that role well.

Last edited:
Speaking of Tom Hanks,I got around to watching A Man Named Otto. Me and my fiancee both watched it. I knew they made an original movie before this,but I really liked this. As far as the acting,Tom Hanks plays Tom Hanks,but I liked the nice touch of Otto being played by Hanks real son in the flashbacks. The story of Otto and his wife was touching for personal reasons,and got me a little misty eyed. It's one of those heartwarming movies with a good message.

VN Store

Back