The Tiger Woods saga

I don’t think any players really thought he was a jerk. He was just never one of the regular guys.
That's always the impression I got. There was no way for him to be a regular guy in the first place and I'm sure all the attention and commotion that surrounded him along with what had to be an inflated ego made him not the easiest guy to be around.

That's always the impression I got. There was no way for him to be a regular guy in the first place and I'm sure all the attention and commotion that surrounded him along with what had to be an inflated ego made him not the easiest guy to be around.
Careful. You are going to draw the ire of Tiger worshippers.

He was on the course to win tournaments, not to win friends. And when his day was done he did his own thing.

Can't stop what? I'm not the one fellating Tiger. He plays a stupid game. None of those guys are worthy of hero worship.

I will agree you’re not “fellating” Tiger, but you’ll never miss a chance to take a dump all over him. I’d almost wager you’ll have to take at least three more dumps on him before the night is over.

He had it all. Everything. Until he didn’t. And the fall was not a small one. It was documented everywhere. All his sins, and there were plenty, for the world to see. Whispers, finger pointing, head shaking, headlines.

Slowly, with almost nobody watching and even less believing, he started coming back. An injury almost ended the comeback before it even started. He persevered through that as well.

Today, with the world watching, he does it. A generation who years ago sat with their dads watching Tiger win sat with their own kids now and said, “watch this.” A generation inspired to become and excel at golf by watching Tiger on TV as kids watched one more time today as he passed them on the leaderboard.

His children who watched it all unfold over the last decade with their own parts in the story are waiting for him just off the 18th green. The mom who watched her son have it all, and then lose it all, is waiting too. She never left, by the way. Mommas almost never do.

The story isn’t perfect. They never are. We never are. But it’s a heck of a good one. Watch closely kids. Being great is one thing. Being great after falling out of grace takes twice as much work and ten times as much courage. That’s the good stuff in life. That’s why a bunch of old dudes got tears in their eyes today.

Didn’t write this but it sums it up pretty well for me. I realize there’s Tiger hate in here and it is what it is everyone can have their opinion, but I grew up watching Tiger. Started golf when I was 5. I was 6 during his Masters win in 97. I spent a lot of Sunday’s on the couch with my Dad watching his every shot. It was special to see him overcome his struggles.

I respect greatness and commend Tiger for his comeback.......but I don’t have to be a fan.
I don't know how old you are, or how well you remember Nicklaus's close losses in majors, but I respect your knowledge of the game. I wonder how many more majors that Nicklaus would have won if Trevino or Tom Watson had obliged by rinsing their golf ball in a water hazard coming down the stretch. I have never seen 4 golfers in the final 2 groups hit balls in the water on the back nine on the same hole on Sunday.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't have choked, because I have for less, but man that was weak , coming from that caliber of player.

Last edited:
Reactions: peaygolf
I don't know how old you are, or how well you remember Nicklaus's close losses in majors, but I respect your knowledge of the game. I wonder how many more majors that Nicklaus would have won if Trevino or Tom Watson had obliged by rinsing their golf ball in a water hazard coming down the stretch. I have never seen 4 golfers in the final 2 groups hit balls in the water on the back nine on the same hole on Sunday.

I'm not saying that I wouldn't have choked, because I have for less, but man that was weak , coming from that caliber of player.
What blew my mind was that all 4 seemingly aimed it at the flag. I know it's a short shot, but to me that's just a no-go pin; especially in Molinari's case.

Molinari reminded me of Ballesteros In 86.

What blew my mind was that all 4 seemingly aimed it at the flag. I know it's a short shot, but to me that's just a no-go pin; especially in Molinari's case.

Molinari reminded me of Ballesteros In 86.
Ballesteros hit it fat and rinsed it at 15, didn't he? It was a horrible shot, and I think it was right after a Nicklaus roar.
P.S. I respect your knowledge of the game too. I can tell by how people talk about it.

Ballesteros hit it fat and rinsed it at 15, didn't he? It was a horrible shot, and I think it was right after a Nicklaus roar.
P.S. I respect your knowledge of the game too. I can tell by how people talk about it.
I think it was after Nicklaus made the putt at 17. He stuck the hosel in the ground and chunked a smother hook into the pond. I was only 13 but I can remember being completely shocked.

I really wonder if there wasn't something going on with the wind at 12 that they just couldn't feel at the tee. None of them really seemed to fan it short right where the typical miss is when it goes in the water. They were on line and a full club short.

Reactions: 1972 Grad
I think it was after Nicklaus made the putt at 17. He stuck the hosel in the ground and chunked a smother hook into the pond. I was only 13 but I can remember being completely shocked.

I really wonder if there wasn't something going on with the wind at 12 that they just couldn't feel at the tee. None of them really seemed to fan it short right where the typical miss is when it goes in the water. They were on line and a full club short.
I was wondering the same and if Woods reached for one more club after seeing that. Of course, he was smart enough to not go for the pin, and probably didn't need one more. Everybody knows not to go for that pin, unless you REALLY need a birdie. With 2 par 5's coming up, it was stupid to try.

I was wondering the same and if Woods reached for one more club after seeing that. Of course, he was smart enough to not go for the pin, and probably didn't need one more. Everybody knows not to go for that pin, unless you REALLY need a birdie. With 2 par 5's coming up, it was stupid to try.
After the Open last year, I thought Molinari would play smart and make everybody come get him. I couldn't believe he went at the flag on 11 and 12. (He was about 2 feet from disaster at 11 and got away with it.) And I really couldn't believe where he layed up to on 15. I don't care if he was on pinestraw, that fairway is 50 yards wide down there. It's inexcusable blow it across into the rough.

All the salty guys make me even more happy that Tiger won a 5th green jacket. In 2000 there were salty people around. I reckon some things never change.

After the Open last year, I thought Molinari would play smart and make everybody come get him. I couldn't believe he went at the flag on 11 and 12. (He was about 2 feet from disaster at 11 and got away with it.) And I really couldn't believe where he layed up to on 15. I don't care if he was on pinestraw, that fairway is 50 yards wide down there. It's inexcusable blow it across into the rough.
Yes. He came really close to the pond on 11. He was actually left of the flag, wasn't he? I missed the layup on 15, but I saw where he wound up. Did he have an open shot for the second shot, or behind something? I remember he lost the tee shot right, but never saw where it went.

All the salty guys make me even more happy that Tiger won a 5th green jacket. In 2000 there were salty people around. I reckon some things never change.
Not everybody likes Tiger or any particular player. We all have favorites. Is there a problem with that? Do you like it when Alabama beats Tennessee?

Yes. He came really close to the pond on 11. He was actually left of the flag, wasn't he? I missed the layup on 15, but I saw where he wound up. Did he have an open shot for the second shot, or behind something? I remember he lost the tee shot right, but never saw where it went.
He hung it out to the right off the tee and had to punch out from the pinestraw. Still, it was just a little low pressure punch shot where all he needed to do was move it 120 yards with no particular accuracy required. He broke the cardinal rule of playing safe.

This win at Augusta was telegraphed last fall with Tiger’s win at East Lake in the final FedEx Cup tournament. It was clear his confidence and health were back. He’s not my favorite, but golf is damn sure better with him being competitive. He took advantage of some misfires by Molinari, et al and it was fun to watch.

This win at Augusta was telegraphed last fall with Tiger’s win at East Lake in the final FedEx Cup tournament. It was clear his confidence and health were back. He’s not my favorite, but golf is damn sure better with him being competitive. He took advantage of some misfires by Molinari, et al and it was fun to watch.
Like I said, he handled the pressure better than the rest, and deserved to win. I'm not a fan, but he earned it.

Not sure I would use the word “choke” with all the water balls (Norman was a choker). But, they each hit uncharacteristicly poor shots at inopportune times. Tiger played well when he needed to and survived when others failed.

He earned this victory.......but hope he never reaches 18! 😃

Not sure I would use the word “choke” with all the water balls (Norman was a choker). But, they each hit uncharacteristicly poor shots at inopportune times. Tiger played well when he needed to and survived when others failed.

He earned this victory.......but hope he never reaches 18! 😃

I’m a sucker for records being broken. Love to see it happen when it does. * Barry Bonds. Hammerin’ Hank will always be my homerun leader. Remember watching it on tv as a little kid.

VN Store

Back