The three main contingency plans being discussed for allowing a 2020 CFB season to happen

The Sheriff

WANTS THE SMOKE!
Could Clemson play football this fall if other ACC schools aren't ready to?

I know Clemson isn’t popular around here but it’s some possible positive news. Plan two seems the most popular right now according to the insiders on that website so we may not play Charlotte, at Oklahoma, Furman or Florida although you’d think they’d do everything possible to reschedule the Florida game. Keep in mind that the NCAA does not sanction college football championships in the Power 5 conferences or the Group of 5. It is also important to remember that the Power 5 Conferences have full autonomy.

"The third scenario the conferences are looking at is what ESPN’s Chris Fowler mentioned on Instagram last week. There are discussions about starting the season next spring, possibly in February. This is only being talked about if the first two scenarios cannot occur."

The full season "as is" has such a low chance of occurring that can be discounted for the simple fact that all the schools on the schedule will have to have their students on campus as was told to Pence.

"First of all, as the conference commissioners indicated on Wednesday to Vice President Mike Pence, there will be no football if the campuses cannot not re-open in the fall. "

If you're a decent manager, you have to move past Plan 2. That leaves us with Spring football. The can of worms that opens up is enormous.

Reactions: Purple Tiger
There’s no way playing only conference games would be a “logistical nightmare”

They are saying that teams trying to reschedule the first four or five games or however many they miss if plan two is what happens would be a logistics nightmare.

They are saying that teams trying to reschedule the first four or five games or however many they miss if plan two is what happens would be a logistics nightmare.

Nightmare for sure. Is it even workable? Don't know.

The other piece is the economic one. If we continue down this path of increasing un/underemployemnt, sales will drop and revenues will become as thin as paper. Only the elite will have the money to travel, lodge, etc. Small businesses are beginning to fail at record numbers. The USGov't can only print so much money before horrible inflation is assured.

It's a David Ferrie scenario.

I think play will take place in the fall, either on time or October. To heck with spring, folks aren't going to want that and it makes no sense and little time to recover for next fall. There is still plenty of time to figure it out and if things keep declining on the virus front I think at some point fall football will happen. I don't think spring is a good idea at all. God Bless and GBO!

I think play will take place in the fall, either on time or October. To heck with spring, folks aren't going to want that and it makes no sense and little time to recover for next fall. There is still plenty of time to figure it out and if things keep declining on the virus front I think at some point fall football will happen. I don't think spring is a good idea at all. God Bless and GBO!
👊🏼

Eliminating the out of conference games and starting the season October 1st seems the most likely scenario to me.

If the season starts in October, wouldn't it be pretty easy to play the September games in December ? Those weeks would be open for everyone.

Bowl season could then be in January. Could have National Champ game the week between AFC/NFC Title games and Super Bowl.

Official Game Thread: Tennessee vs UF 12/26 3:30 CBS

I can't see the 3rd scenario happening.

What would happen to college basketball? What a scheduling nightmare

Start in April and play into July. Everything is going to get pushed back and truncated.

We’d lose some seniors and draft eligible players who would be on the team if we play in 2020 but they’d be gone if we don’t play until the spring of 2021 because the new year in the NFL starts in March.

Last edited:
Reactions: vols 30
I think you start the season The first week of January so that you can be done by May and still start the next season in the fall. Basketball will start in mid to late February.

I'm hoping this all dies down soon and we can start on time or sometime in October.

There was an article in the Knoxville paper about how much money UT would lose if the season were canceled and that's true, but just imagine the metro Knoxville economy. The hotels, the restaurants, it would be devastating. Some hotels double their nightly rates and require 3 days occupancy on home game weekends. Imagine that loss in revenue times 7 games.

There was an article in the Knoxville paper about how much money UT would lose if the season were canceled and that's true, but just imagine the metro Knoxville economy. The hotels, the restaurants, it would be devastating. Some hotels double their nightly rates and require 3 days occupancy on home game weekends. Imagine that loss in revenue times 7 games.

It’s incredibly important that we get the economy going again, take care of local businesses that need that football income, but I still find it ridiculous that these hotels do this, and have so for a long time. They make traveling to games very difficult when you’re spending an extra $900 -$1000 + on top of everything else.

VN Store

Back