The Tennessee Takeover

Let's say Coach Heupel does what all previous coaches claimed they would do, and locks down the state in recruiting. Let's say the results of this after 5 seasons is consistent 8-4 or 9-3 type seasons, which allows the team to consistently finish 2nd or 3rd in the east and top 15-20 in the rankings. The offense is really good. The defense is really good. All of the losses are in close games (a touchdown or less). Multiple players are going in the draft every year. Do you put your support behind him for 5 more years, or do you clamor for a big name coach to get us to the next level?
If we average 8 or 9 wins over the next 10 years and occasionally make a run, I’ll think Tennessee has done as good as Tennessee can reasonably expect to do.

Let's say Coach Heupel does what all previous coaches claimed they would do, and locks down the state in recruiting. Let's say the results of this after 5 seasons is consistent 8-4 or 9-3 type seasons, which allows the team to consistently finish 2nd or 3rd in the east and top 15-20 in the rankings. The offense is really good. The defense is really good. All of the losses are in close games (a touchdown or less). Multiple players are going in the draft every year. Do you put your support behind him for 5 more years, or do you clamor for a big name coach to get us to the next level?
Why 5 more years? I think you stick with him yes.

That's the question. If we aren't beating Georgia, Florida, or Bama in the first 5 years, but play them all extremely close with a roster loaded with instate kids. I would still consider this major progress. I also would be all in.

We beat fl and ga by year 3 and and bama by 5. I ain't no sunshine pumper either. Just my opinion.

Given that scenario? Well for me to support another 5 years he would have to beat UF and UGA a few times. Alabama doesn’t count so I don’t consider that game important anymore.

If Heupel goes 8-4 or 9-3 for a few years, wins some bowl games, keeps the losses respect and beats UF and UGA a few times then yes he has my support.

Alabama doesn’t count? Loser mentality.

Why 5 more years? I think you stick with him yes.
It was a hypothetical to gauge the temperament of us here on VN. I feel like we need to have realistic expectations. The 5 more years had to do with us as fans allowing a reasonably successful coach have a chance to take us to that championship level.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
Some of you just don’t want to live in reality I guess. They are in a 14 game winning streak against us. The longest in the history between us. It’s not a rivalry game anymore.

Correct. But it's %$#@ing supposed to be which is THE point. Buck FAMA.

Some of you just don’t want to live in reality I guess. They are in a 14 game winning streak against us. The longest in the history between us. It’s not a rivalry game anymore.

I remember an 11 year streak when I was a kid, losers then were saying the same sort of thing. It’s definitely a lopsided rivalry, but this dry spell won’t last forever.

yes we keep him, some year the ball will again bounce our direction and we will win the SEC

Reactions: bigl3327

Ask again in about 9 months.

Reactions: feathersax
I am still dubious a casual fan or a group of casual fans have much sway over the direction of a program when expectations aren't met. Some of us don't contribute much revenue regardless of wins and losses.
I don't think the folks here are casual fans. Folks who buy tickets at the prices they go for aren't too casual either. Except in rare situations, I arrange my fall Saturday calendar around UT's games. But even the casual fans with disposable income... who can choose to go to the lake instead mean a lot to the program's success. In fact, like in business, what you do on the "margin" has a lot to do with your level of success.

If 8 wins is too low for you, and our historical win percentage equates to about 8 wins a season, then I surmise you think UT historically under performs relative to expectations?
I can only relate it to my experience in athletics, the military, management, and church leadership. If you say 8 is good enough then your average isn't going to be 8. Your average is more likely going to be 5 or maybe worse.

What time period did you base that historic average on? Since the 11th regular season game was added in 1970, UT has won 408 games not counting last year due to the short season. That's 8.3 wins per season. That is in spite of winning only 6.3 games per year since 2007. UT averaged 9 wins per season from 1970 to 2007. There was a rough patch in the 70's too... meaning that when UT is well coached and led... my expectations that some think too high... are the norm.

In short. Yes. Eight wins is too low. No. Expectations are not set based on "low ebbs".... rather peaks.

And again, if you set a target of 12 wins and "fail" you get 10. If you are happy with 8 then don't be surprised if you never see 10 and see a lot of 5's and 6's.

Reactions: igotworms

I think after what we’ve been through the last decade, most fans would rejoice at the thought of consistently hitting 8-10 win seasons amd consistently ranked in the top 25. We’ve really had the roster to do it the last couple of season but Pruitt went with JG (not to get off on a lot of that). People lose sight of that. For the last decade our roster has been pretty comparable with Florda’s. But we just haven’t gotten over the hump. Now we’re set back for a year or two with the roster but a great offensive mind can make up for talent disparities. We’ve seen it all over college football in recent years. I think we can get to where op is suggesting

Reactions: feathersax
I remember an 11 year streak when I was a kid, losers then were saying the same sort of thing. It’s definitely a lopsided rivalry, but this dry spell won’t last forever.

It won’t last forever but do you honestly see an end in sight? I mean I know we think, or hope, that when Saban retires that Bama drops off. But I don’t know if that will happen. Will the next HC be a Saban? No. But could they be good enough to win 10-11 games a year? Absolutely.

I think if we can get back to a point to beating Bama, it’s gonna take about 10 years. And that sucks.

Not really. Finally tired of ordering a Maserati, and being given a Yugo. It ain't a Maserati until it runs like a Maserati. Until then, we have another Yugo.
I've driven (didn't buy it) a Maserati. You're perhaps better off with the Yugo, if you want it to start in 2 months.

Let's order a Bentley Continental GT, okay?

I've driven (didn't buy it) a Maserati. You're perhaps better off with the Yugo, if you want it to start in 2 months.

Let's order a Bentley Continental GT, okay?

Obviously you have never driven a Yugo. That car was built in a country that no longer exists. The Maserati cars are good depending on the model and year, and built by hand by people who know (or knew) what they are doing. As to Bentley? Not so sure I trust the British to build a car and they are notorious for over charging.

Obviously you have never driven a Yugo. That car was built in a country that no longer exists. The Maserati cars are good depending on the model and year, and built by hand by people who know (or knew) what they are doing. As to Bentley? Not so sure I trust the British to build a car and they are notorious for over charging.
Granted. I've not driven a Yugo and doubt I could fit in it. Maserati is as dependable as Pruitt, looks great on paper..... can't get you where you need to go.

This was a plain GranT, not a GTS, but even the salesman was like...... "Do your research"

Granted. I've not driven a Yugo and doubt I could fit in it. Maserati is as dependable as Pruitt, looks great on paper..... can't get you where you need to go.

This was a plain GranT, not a GTS, but even the salesman was like...... "Do your research"

WTF ever, man. I am 60, and am referring to what Maserati was back when the freakin Yugo was being made. Maybe their quality control has slid recently. However, I took a look side by side between the current Bentley you mentioned and the Maserati site. Your choice might drive OK, but it's homely as Hell.

WTF ever, man. I am 60, and am referring to what Maserati was back when the freakin Yugo was being made. Maybe their quality control has slid recently. However, I took a look side by side between the current Bentley you mentioned and the Maserati site. Your choice might drive OK, but it's homely as Hell.
Older than you. This was 2008? Somewhere in there. I'm past that "old man crazy" stage. Not really trying to pee on your metaphor, sorry.

If CJH can accomplish this feat, the fan base may be clamoring for White to sign him to a lifetime contract.

Just coming on here with a friendly reminder that Joe Milton is gonna TAKEOVER the starting QB position.

Only if he turns out to be the best QB. It will be interesting to see how this works out the Fall. I pick HB but will be OK if someone else turns out to be better. That would mean we have more than one really good QB.

VN Store

Back