The Tennessee Takeover

bigl3327

Let's say Coach Heupel does what all previous coaches claimed they would do, and locks down the state in recruiting. Let's say the results of this after 5 seasons is consistent 8-4 or 9-3 type seasons, which allows the team to consistently finish 2nd or 3rd in the east and top 15-20 in the rankings. The offense is really good. The defense is really good. All of the losses are in close games (a touchdown or less). Multiple players are going in the draft every year. Do you put your support behind him for 5 more years, or do you clamor for a big name coach to get us to the next level?

Let's say Coach Heupel does what all previous coaches claimed they would do, and locks down the state in recruiting. Let's say the results of this after 5 seasons is consistent 8-4 or 9-3 type seasons, which allows the team to consistently finish 2nd or 3rd in the east and top 15-20 in the rankings. The offense is really good. The defense is really good. All of the losses are in close games (a touchdown or less). Multiple players are going in the draft every year. Do you put your support behind him for 5 more years, or do you clamor for a big name coach to get us to the next level?
Keep him and continue continuity. Stability is needed

Support.

Oh lawd, here we go

Given that scenario? Well for me to support another 5 years he would have to beat UF and UGA a few times. Alabama doesn’t count so I don’t consider that game important anymore.

If Heupel goes 8-4 or 9-3 for a few years, wins some bowl games, keeps the losses respect and beats UF and UGA a few times then yes he has my support.

Given that scenario? Well for me to support another 5 years he would have to beat UF and UGA a few times. Alabama doesn’t count so I don’t consider that game important anymore.

If Heupel goes 8-4 or 9-3 for a few years, wins some bowl games, keeps the losses respect and beats UF and UGA a few times then yes he has my support.
That's the question. If we aren't beating Georgia, Florida, or Bama in the first 5 years, but play them all extremely close with a roster loaded with instate kids. I would still consider this major progress. I also would be all in.

So far I really like Heupel, so I want to say support. But, fair or not you are graded on beating GA, FL and Bama.

He would still be on the young side of coaching so I would extend him in a heartbeat. By that point he would have an established team identity and Saban would be gone, so the SEC would ne wide open.

Josh Heupel will be Tennessee head football coach for the next 4-5 seasons no matter what certain unrealistic,delusional Tennessee fans think.

Last edited:

Another 5 years with those results? Maybe, truth is if he wins 9 in year 3 he’ll get a raise and extension regardless.

I'd support him given where we are today and if watching games is fun (yes style matters). If I think he is just getting lucky ala Butch, then no. I wouldn't do 5 years either. Maybe 2 or 3 years depending on the circumstances.

If he's not winning the SEC East and losing 3 or 4 games a year, he's not competing, he's treading water at a less than Richt rate. Why would UT sign up for that for an additional 5 years?

Reactions: sjt18 and hog88

Lots of if's and butts, which could lead to a wonderful christmas!

I don't think the fan base or University would be too ready to pull him after being the first successful coach out 4 attempts. I think it would take until year 7 or 8 before they would fire him for another guy.

Reactions: Orange Raid
I'd support him given where we are today and if watching games is fun (yes style matters). If I think he is just getting lucky ala Butch, then no. I wouldn't do 5 years either. Maybe 2 or 3 years depending on the circumstances.
Nobody in FBS will want the Tennessee head coaching job if Coach Heupel is fired after 2-3 seasons. Why would someone worth a damn want to coach a team with such idiotic,unrealistic and delusional fans and ruin their careers?

Considering what a floating pile of flaming dog crap we have been recently, I say give him 5 more years. Assuming that kind of success, he should be able to pull some really good talent and start pressing for top 3 SEC finishes.

VN Store

Back