The team we hoped they would be. . .

cbrown

Over the past few years, as Tennessee has added pieces to the basketball puzzle, I hoped for the best with each addition. When Prince transferred from Arizona I thought, "if he was good enough to go to Arizona he must be pretty good." When T. Smith transferred from Iowa I hoped he would be a dominant player for Tennessee. I was optimistic about B. Maze being the solution at point guard. My perception over the past two years is that Tennesse has woefully underachieved. Most of the players were not playing at the level that I believed they had the talent for and they were extremely frustrating to watch. All that changed over the past two weeks (and to a certain extent, the past few months). As I watched the game today I thought that this was the team I'd hoped they would be all along. Brian Williams and Melvin Goins have never played better than they have in this tournament, and guys like Prince and Maze have finally lived up to the expectations. As disappointing as it is to come up short, I was happy with the way the team battled back after going down 8. A mentally weaker team would have folded at that point. I think CBP finally got a bunch of individuals to recognize and accept their roles. I am only sorry that this is the end for three of the guys that made this season so special. It would be a joy to watch this Tennessee team play more basketball.

Over the past few years, as Tennessee has added pieces to the basketball puzzle, I hoped for the best with each addition. When Prince transferred from Arizona I thought, "if he was good enough to go to Arizona he must be pretty good." When T. Smith transferred from Iowa I hoped he would be a dominant player for Tennessee. I was optimistic about B. Maze being the solution at point guard. My perception over the past two years is that Tennesse has woefully underachieved. Most of the players were not playing at the level that I believed they had the talent for and they were extremely frustrating to watch. All that changed over the past two weeks (and to a certain extent, the past few months). As I watched the game today I thought that this was the team I'd hoped they would be all along. Brian Williams and Melvin Goins have never played better than they have in this tournament, and guys like Prince and Maze have finally lived up to the expectations. As disappointing as it is to come up short, I was happy with the way the team battled back after going down 8. A mentally weaker team would have folded at that point. I think CBP finally got a bunch of individuals to recognize and accept their roles. I am only sorry that this is the end for three of the guys that made this season so special. It would be a joy to watch this Tennessee team play more basketball.
Well said

Nice post,agree 100%

Great post. I totally agree. Not gonna lie this one hurt but it just shows that CBP is in the right direction with UT basketball. I just wish we had another year with those 3.

This team showed great heart. If we were told they would be the first Elite Eight UT team after the events of Jan 1, none of us would have believed it. What a season!

Good post. You took the words out of my mouth. They have truly come a long way, individually and collectively. Very proud of this special group of vols. I'm sad to see them go.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I couldn't have said it better...it would have been nice to see these 3 with our incoming class....but our program is headed in the right direction for sure

Great post. This team has built a ROCK-SOLID foundation for the coming years. JP, Wheezy, and B-Maze will truly be missed but this is an exciting time for UT Basketball. They will always be known as the unit that got us to the Elite 8 for the first time and set the stage for Tennessee's emergence as an national contender annually.

VN Store

Back