The Taxslayer Gator Bowl: #17 Wake Forest (10-3) vs #25 Texas A…er, scratch that…vs Rutgers (5-7) (ESPN, 11 AM ET)

TrueOrange

Dave Clawson, Sam Hartman, and Wake Forest look to cap off a season that included the school’s first two appearances in the top 10 and a division championship with an opportunity to tie the most wins in a single season in school history (11).

Greg Schiano and Rutgers look to play the ultimate spoiler, with a ton of meme potential if they can pull of the upset.

Wake Forest is favored by 16, but it’s worth noting that 4 of the last 6 5-7 bowl teams have pulled the upset in their bowl games.

Last edited:
TD Wake Forest. Hartman completes a 4 yard TD pass to Chapman to make it 7-0 Wake Forest with 11:34 left in the 1st.

Using a 3 QB rotation, the Scarlet Knights put together a 12 play drive to tie it up 7-7 with 5:11 left in the first quarter.

Beautiful TD pass to AT Perry near the sideline. He bobbled it, recovered possession, got the foot down for - upon review - a 29-yard TD to make it 14-7 Wake with 2:16 left in the first.

A whole bunch of trick plays by Rutgers for another long drive a FG to make it 14-10 with 12:02 left in the game.

Geez. The Rutgers punter flew to Australia, received word about the bowl game, immediately turned around flew back to the US, quarantined, and made it to Jacksonville before the rest of the team.

And heck of a punt by Korsak pinning them inside the 5. That’s an insane streak without a touchback for a punter: 119 straight punts (all the way back to 2019).

Two dogs barking. All this tells me is how mediocre Wake is and how bad the ACC sucked this year.

Reactions: VOL_Lyfe
Nice jump on the route for the interception in the endzone.

Rutgers has been playing the slow grind game (with a lot of trick plays) which is a great counter to the always no huddle, hurry up in general: keep the offense off the field, make the (worse) defense stay on the field as long as you can…both tiring the defense out and challenging it to force you off the field and control this game.

But you have to get those points or else its moot. That game style only gives a team (Rutgers here) 4 drives total in a half.

Nice WR screen on 3rd and 15. Just a little bit of blocking made made it a first and goal.

Edit: the review is probably going to make it 4th and 1.

29 yard FG coming up for Wake to end the half. Schiano’s decided to use all 3 TOs to try to ice the kicker.

Kick is good (I mean, he was trying to ice a kicker with an 89.7% success rate).

20-10 Wake Forest at halftime.

Rutgers starts off with a block in the back allowing for…an interception after throwing it deep into double coverage.

I'm at a sports bar and there is a whole table of kentucky fans (11 by my count including grandma). They are here for the cinci game but are proudly displaying all their KY gear. Should I fight them?

Rutgers keeps adjusting its defensive pressure surprisingly well. They’re countering the slow mesh RPO the right way: figuring out the disguises that still allow your linemen to end up in the QBs face almost every other pass.

Wake Forest gets to Rutgers 5 before the drive stalls with a pass just a bit too high on 3rd down.

The 23 yard FG is good to make it 23-10 with 6:37 left in the 3rd.

After a scramble, the Rutgers QB starts to slide…and the Wake Forest defender followed with a hit to make sure he actually went down. And now it’s a 15 yard penalty on top of the few yard game,

VN Store

Back