The Supreme Court of the United States Thread

This succinctly summarizes my position as well. I also suspect this is the general consensus.

The problem extremes on both sides tend to monopolize the argument. My hang up with the extreme left is is the notion that after the 1st trimester (at least) there isn't a person needing protection. My hangup with the extreme right is equating termination a 3-day old blastocyct with sucking the brains out of a live person.
Great minds and what not. Look down one post 😬

Marriage contracts have always been the purview of the states. There has never been a Federal marriage license in the history of the country. Federal regulations about marriage have centered around Federal benefits/taxes/etc.

I disagree with you as on general principles, I want as little of my life intersecting with the Federal government as possible. I am a fan of our federally organized system of government. (and not trying to be obnoxious here either, so please do not take it that way)

The FEDs treat you differently on all sorts of issues if you're married. This "treatment" shouldn't vary based upon what state you reside in

So you guys are okay if a Muslim teacher leads the class in a prayer, right?
Yea I am pretty anti the government telling an individual they can't practice their own religion. If coach wants to pray have at it. Don't care what religion he is.

"He started coaching at the school in 2008 and initially prayed alone on the 50-yard line at the end of games. Students started joining him, and over time he began to deliver a short, inspirational talk with religious references. Kennedy did that for years and also led students in locker room prayers. The school district learned what he was doing in 2015 and asked him to stop.

Kennedy stopped leading students in prayer in the locker room and on the field but wanted to continue praying on the field himself, with students free to join if they wished. Concerned about being sued for violating students’ religious freedom rights, the school asked him to stop his practice of kneeling and praying while still “on duty” as a coach after the game. "

From the AP

Lizzo vows to donate $500K of her tour proceeds to Planned Parenthood which Live Nation will match for total of $1million... hours after Roe v. Wade abortion ruling was overturned

Lizzo announced she will be donating $500K of her upcoming tour proceeds to Planned Parenthood and Abortion Funds hours after Roe v. Wade was overturned.

The singer, 34, made the announcement on her Instagram Story on Friday, where she revealed that entertainment company Live Nation has agreed to match her generous donation making it a grand total of $1million.

59499411-10951563-image-a-144_1656121909853.jpg

Taking a stand: Lizzo (seen in June 2019 at Glastonbury Festival in England) announced that she will be donating $500K of her upcoming tour proceeds to Planned Parenthood and Abortion Funds just hours after Roe v. Wade was overturned

Lizzo to donate $500K of tour proceeds to Planned Parenthood which Live Nation will match for $1m | Daily Mail Online

I can't believe she is willing to sacrifice one month of funds from her snack budget. Incredible display of compassion.

If he does it immediately following the class and doesn't require anyone to participate, then I have absolutely no problem with it.

What if he was a football coach and it could be construed as preferential to playing time and recommendation letters for scholarships? Not saying that is what happened in this case, but that was the concern.

Also, what about if he was given an opportunity and place to do it after games but decided on the 50-yardline immediately after the game was where he wanted it? That was offered, and refused in this instance.

Nobody has an issue with private prayer on school grounds or school activities, as long as it is private and non-compulsory. This wasn’t private, and the implication that it could have an implied impact was worrisome.

This coach wanted it to be public which begs the concern about an endorsement to the public at large.

Same arguments for Hinduism, bhuddism, satanism, ect.

Reactions: TRUEFANVol
What if he was a football coach and it could be construed as preferential to playing time and recommendation letters for scholarships? Not saying that is what happened in this case, but that was the concern.

Also, what about if he was given an opportunity and place to do it after games but decided on the 50-yardline immediately after the game was where he wanted it? That was offered, and refused in this instance.

Nobody has an issue with private prayer on school grounds or school activities, as long as it is private and non-compulsory. This wasn’t private, and the implication that it could have an implied impact was worrisome.

This coach wanted it to be public which begs the concern about an endorsement to the public at large.

People worry too much about "what-ifs". If a coach was giving preferential treatment to players that chose to participate in his moment of prayer he should be fired immediately. The same should happen to any teacher giving preferential treatment to students participating in non-required activities.

I don't care if he wants to worship Jobu on the 50 yard line. As long as he isn't requiring anyone to participate. If you can prove he was making decisions, of any kind, based on his beliefs then fire his ass.

Last edited:
People worry too much about "what-ifs". If a coach was giving preferential treatment to players that chose to participate in his moment of prayer he should be fired immediately. The same should happen to any teacher giving preferential treatment to students participating in non-required activities.
I think what the poster was getting at, was maybe, just maybe, that situation could possibly, maybe, possibly, offend someone!
😱

Hog. Could you imagine!!!

Yea I am pretty anti the government telling an individual they can't practice their own religion. If coach wants to pray have at it. Don't care what religion he is.

"He started coaching at the school in 2008 and initially prayed alone on the 50-yard line at the end of games. Students started joining him, and over time he began to deliver a short, inspirational talk with religious references. Kennedy did that for years and also led students in locker room prayers. The school district learned what he was doing in 2015 and asked him to stop.

Kennedy stopped leading students in prayer in the locker room and on the field but wanted to continue praying on the field himself, with students free to join if they wished. Concerned about being sued for violating students’ religious freedom rights, the school asked him to stop his practice of kneeling and praying while still “on duty” as a coach after the game. "

From the AP

No one would object to him praying silently. The issue is making a display of it in a setting where young people might feel compelled to join in. It seems..... "look-at-me" ish. I tend to find people who wear their religion so prominently to generally suck as people.

Reactions: K-town Vol Fan
No one would object to him praying silently. The issue is making a display of it in a setting where young people might feel compelled to join in. It seems..... "look-at-me" ish. I tend to find people who wear their religion so prominently to generally suck as people.
Your opinion of people isn't relevant. If he wants to roll a carpet out and pray to Mecca why do I care?

OK, but it's not a fireable offense.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
A lot of Pastors and Priests say "hello".
So you think an Ice Cream vendor doesn't have a chance of making it to Hell in his Ice Cream Truck?

If he makes to the 50 yd line, prays and is joined by other kids doing the same thing....Seriously who Cares it is an Exercise of Faith.

If he does it with Snakes or the Earnest Angley approach I can understand the objection.

VN Store

Back