The " Strip" is beyond awful

Mose Phillip's Watch

Went there yesterday for dinner & was blown away how awful it is. How could the zoning people allow all those 6 story apartments to be built right on the edge of the road & more coming ? It has no character anymore, no locally owned restaurants or bars hardly left. Nothing about it is fun or charming anymore.

I have to agree with you. Granted, I haven’t been down there on a Friday night in a long time, but I can’t imagine it’s nearly like what it once was.
I’m remembering when O’Charley’s had Matt and Erick playing twice a week, Hannah’s would occasionally have Peyton stop by for a drink, and Campus Pub was selling $.50 beers. Those were the days!

Went there yesterday for dinner & was blown away how awful it is. How could the zoning people allow all those 6 story apartments to be built right on the edge of the road & more coming ? It has no character anymore, no locally owned restaurants or bars hardly left. Nothing about it is fun or charming anymore.
The strip used to be charming?

It was changed due to the influence of a big investor who grew up in San Francisco and moved to TN with his business. He wanted the strip to be more like one of his favorite areas in Miami. I have first hand knowledge of this and he explained to me in detail his plans before all the construction started.

I have to agree with you. Granted, I haven’t been down there on a Friday night in a long time, but I can’t imagine it’s nearly like what it once was.
I’m remembering when O’Charley’s had Matt and Erick playing twice a week, Hannah’s would occasionally have Peyton stop by for a drink, and Campus Pub was selling $.50 beers. Those were the days!

Campus Pub. No ID, problem.

Liquor by the drink and the 18 year old drinking age developed the strip into what it once was. The Old City is the closest alternative but it’s not the same without thousands of 18, 19, and 20 year olds living a short walk away.

The city gets considerably more revenue in the form of property tax from the 6 story apartment buildings as opposed to some sales taxes and a fraction of the property tax from derelict real estate. Plus there’s still some sales taxes coming from the street level retail spaces.

there was a time krystals was the whip all. At some point the quality of the worker fell, same happened to king hardees before the collapse. They feel that offering a cheaper burger wins, when the "better" burger wins. Krystals, in particular, git dirty. Like, the restaurants got dirty, and that shows workers don't care. They had some of the top five best tasting griddles i've ever experienced at one time tho. Those griddles will be collectors, they still have the flavor.

I like the strip now vs what it used to be, except that OCI/Tap Room no longer exist, but that doesn’t havent anything to do w the development plans.

Reactions: TC 83 and Devo182

VN Store

Back