The Southern Rock appreciation thread

Brave Volunteer

I don't know why it is but I always get on a huge southern rock kick in the summer months and just consume it like crazy! I'd love to hear from fans of this great genre of music and find out what some of your favorites are.

Aside from the usual Skynyrd/ZZ Top/Allman Bros staples that I know EVERYBODY likes to reference, I thought it would be more interesting if people would recommend some southern rock albums from bands that most don't immediately think of.

For today, I am playing the ever loving hell out of this great album!

Tomcattin%27.jpg

You have to have listened to Credence Clearwater
I love CCR. Not quite southern rock though. Though they have a few songs that have southern rock elements, overall they're more what I'd call Americana/heartland rock. I'd put them in the same category as John Mellencamp, Tom Petty, or even Springsteen.

Last edited:
Read Southall and Copper Chief carrying on tradition. As well as those kids from East Texas Whiskey Myers

Since I am in Nashville, I will throw Barefoot Jerry in the ring.

I've read a couple of books by Michael Buffalo Smith, which I recommend to anyone who really wants to get in the weeds of where southern rock came from and how the bands formed. It's amazing how incestuous the bands were in the early days, with some guys playing with multiple groups before really settling in.

VN Store

Back