The Section 103 Postgame Report.

If you don't need to cheat to get players, why is Kentucky among the most penalized programs in the history of NCAA basketball? Or are you forgetting envelopes stuffed with cash that nearly got you the death penalty in the 1980s?

Of course he isn't. Because it's done such long term damage to their program I'm sure they've learned THEIR lesson.......

6. Wayne Chism and Brian Williams did an excellent job against Demarcus Cousins. Take away the leakout hoops and he wasn't a huge factor.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

And this was a HUGE factor.

I like the bigger starting lineup - we seemed a little slow on some defensive rebounds from the matchup zone, but I like the bigger presence in the paint on D.

If you don't need to cheat to get players, why is Kentucky among the most penalized programs in the history of NCAA basketball? Or are you forgetting envelopes stuffed with cash that nearly got you the death penalty in the 1980s?

Thats the difference between then and now. The environments and atmostphere are totally different. With the amount of recruiting thats done, and the technology available, its nowhere near the same.

Exactly what part of Pearl's strategic brilliance caused UK to miss 8 shots within 5 feet in the first half? Also, who made the brilliant decision to hold the ball and kill UT's offensive rythm?

Exactly. That was basically like Fulmer playing not to lose and it almost cost them the game.

Tough to complain when you win but Bruce almost lost the game for them the his offensive stall.

Exactly. That was basically like Fulmer playing not to lose and it almost cost them the game.

Tough to complain when you win but Bruce almost lost the game for them the his offensive stall.

every single team slows it down like that when they get up big on a team (like in the 16- 20+ point range); it's the common strategy, just killing more of the clock (it's not a fulmer-like thing)

because you know with the way basketball works, the other team is going to go on runs in the half, it always happens; you're just trying to not help them by 1) giving them less time to make those runs in by milking clock and 2)not helping them by starting their runs or missing quick shots to continue said runs

every college basketball coach does it; cause more times than not, you go for the kill, you miss several shots, and then the other team can make quick points to get themselves back in the game

every single team slows it down like that when they get up big on a team (like in the 16- 20+ point range); it's the common strategy, just killing more of the clock (it's not a fulmer-like thing)

because you know with the way basketball works, the other team is going to go on runs in the half, it always happens; you're just trying to not help them by 1) giving them less time to make those runs in by milking clock and 2)not helping them by starting their runs or missing quick shots to continue said runs

every college basketball coach does it; cause more times than not, you go for the kill, you miss several shots, and then the other team can make quick points to get themselves back in the game

You don't play the basketball equivalent of prevent when the other team has a dynamic player like Wall who can take over a game at any time. In this case, you protect your lead the same way you got it in the first place: on the defensive end. UT's decision to hold the ball and shoot bad, contested jump shots at the end of the shot clock enabled multiple transition opportunities for Wall, which he took advantage of by going right to the rim and either scoring or passing for an easy basket.

No, every team does not do that. Those teams with as dismal a halfcourt O as we have shouldn't.

Bruce didn't either when we scored 240 early this season.

That's utter BS. I'd love to see an example of Self or Calhoun trying to take the air out of the ball with 15 minutes left in a game.

hey i'm still relatively new to basketball, and i'm just saying what i've been told, k?

and that was every team slows down the game after a big/huge lead to not let the other team back into it, cause the other team - if good - will still go on one or two runs; that was how i was taught with it when we beat then world-beater UF so soundly at home back in....was it 05 or 06?

How many first rounders did he have on the UMASS team that went to the Final Four?

If your point here is that Calipari doesn't need top-shelf talent to win, it fails. Marcus Camby was an elite elite talent and could carry a team.

I don't think the problem was taking the air out of the ball, it was the fact that they started their offense 5-8 seconds too late. The first half half court offense was running very well and we got a ton of easy baskets on cuts and backdoor passes. However, we started running the offense way too late for about 10-13 minutes of the second half. I wonder if Pearl was worried about running out of gas like we did in Lexington.

If your point here is that Calipari doesn't need top-shelf talent to win, it fails. Marcus Camby was an elite elite talent and could carry a team.
Who were the elite talents on his first UMASS Sweet 16 team? That's as far as Pearl has ever gone.

That's interesting because I was taught when you have a team on the ropes you go for the kill. You don't stagger your opponent in the fourth round and then jab and move the remaining 8 rounds.

Today is a beautiful day to be a Tennessee fan living in Kentucky.

That is all.

Live it up my friend. One of my buddies (UT Alum) has been doing so since the horn sounded. Ran into our local bar wearing nothing but UT boxers, and then ran out.

Not that you have to do that, obviously.

My only decent retort was "Just remember 1993". However, it barely fazed him.

Live it up my friend. One of my buddies (UT Alum) has been doing so since the horn sounded. Ran into our local bar wearing nothing but UT boxers, and then ran out.

Not that you have to do that, obviously.

My only decent retort was "Just remember 1993". However, it barely fazed him.

Nah, I'm not really a streaking kind of guy. My approach is more to tell UK fans how much I admired the gutty performance of their team that just came up a little short, and to point out how hard the Cats tried in a really tough environment.

Remembering 1993 isn't all that strong of a retort, IMO. There is probably some material buried in the championship-type euphoria that has invaded the UT fanbase due to going .500 against a rival, but I'm not going to do your homework for you...

Last edited:

VN Store

Back