The season...

I would have to go back and find the quotes from the various members of the fringe. It does not take very long when reading essentially any post from any poster on this site to find the group to which I was referring.
By fringe then you mean those who make it "personal"? They don't like Pruitt and are predicting failure then setting up a standard they think assures his failure?

I've been pretty consistent. I learned with Dooley but I think I said basically the same thing when he started. Been a while and my memory isn't as specifically sharp as it used to be. I definitely said the same thing about Jones. I said if he was the guy he'd have success within the first 3 years. I believe I specified 10 wins in one of his first 3 seasons.

My main premise is that it takes early success to sustain recruiting momentum and program image. That may be especially true at UT where out of state recruiting is the lifeblood of the program. I actually think Pruitt, unlike Jones, is a pretty good football coach. That in and of itself will not make him successful. He has to strike hard and fast... and catch a few breaks.

Thats a tricky situation for me to answer. Because imo, Pruitt is facing a very unique situation that no coach in modern UT history has had to. I mean both lines are weak, bad and very little quality depth. He wants to incorporate the 3-4. Thats hard to do in a year or two because you havent got the guys yet to effectively run that. The guys he inherited were undisciplined, unconditioned and had a losing attitude.

Here is my realistic view. If there are no significant coaching changes, major transfers or injuries at key skill positions, players and coaches live up to their potential, then we should see 8+ wins by 2020. If that doesnt happen, then there is a very good chance that Pruitt isnt the guy.

I see no way we can win 9 games this year. Bama, UGA and UF are automatic losses. BYU is a toss up. I dont feel good about beating Missouri or Vandy. Right now we just dont have the horses to win 9.
Wins and losses are tricky in college football. I don’t buy in on the auto losses. I realize what they are up against and know that on paper it looks bad, but I’ve seen a few wins where we didn’t “have a chance”, I’ve also seen some losses where they didn’t “have a chance”. I like our chances with each one. I would like to see us play well against then and then see how it turns out.

I was thinking that Mo and Vandy both were breaking in now QBs.

Do you forget who UT has at QB and on the offensive line? 9 wins? After two losing seasons with the same basic roster? Ok..
We’ll see. I expect that after spending more time in the new systems they will be able to perform at a higher level.

Wins and losses are tricky in college football. I don’t buy in on the auto losses. I realize what they are up against and know that on paper it looks bad, but I’ve seen a few wins where we didn’t “have a chance”, I’ve also seen some losses where they didn’t “have a chance”. I like our chances with each one. I would like to see us play well against then and then see how it turns out.

I was thinking that Mo and Vandy both were breaking in now QBs.

The reason I said those games are automatic losses is because of a few things. Bama and UGA are just way too talented for us. We dont have quality depth on either line. Slow LBs and are still trying to adjust to a 3-4. UF? I dont know what to tell you. Even with our best, most talented teams, we really cannot beat them. So with those teams its stats and history that leads me to believe those are auto losses.

Missouri is breaking in a new QB but Bryant is a transfer from Clemson. He has big time experience. I dont think Missouri will take that much of a step back. Yes Vandy is breaking in a new QB but they have a team thats physical and disciplined with good coaching. Vandy is gonna be another tough game this year

If Pruitt is going to be the man and be Tennessee's long term solution, he is going to have to win some games "before he is supposed to".

I don't how long it will take for Tennessee to have the better team on paper against various opponents.

By fringe then you mean those who make it "personal"? They don't like Pruitt and are predicting failure then setting up a standard they think assures his failure?

I've been pretty consistent. I learned with Dooley but I think I said basically the same thing when he started. Been a while and my memory isn't as specifically sharp as it used to be. I definitely said the same thing about Jones. I said if he was the guy he'd have success within the first 3 years. I believe I specified 10 wins in one of his first 3 seasons.

My main premise is that it takes early success to sustain recruiting momentum and program image. That may be especially true at UT where out of state recruiting is the lifeblood of the program. I actually think Pruitt, unlike Jones, is a pretty good football coach. That in and of itself will not make him successful. He has to strike hard and fast... and catch a few breaks.
Please understand, the original comment was not aimed at you. You have been negative in the past, but several of your reasons were valid and you are reasonable in most cases. There are some on this board that complain about anything and if there isn't anything to complain about that is legitimate, they simply make up something to be negative about. Or they are the type they will spew their same garbage in any and every thread they can invade. Look around, it won't take long to find them.

Please understand, the original comment was not aimed at you. You have been negative in the past, but several of your reasons were valid and you are reasonable in most cases. There are some on this board that complain about anything and if there isn't anything to complain about that is legitimate, they simply make up something to be negative about. Or they are the type they will spew their same garbage in any and every thread they can invade. Look around, it won't take long to find them.
I'm not alone so it wasn't personal for me. There are always going to be kneejerk negative people here. I think this is my 13th year on the board and it has always been that way. But just as bad... there are always going to be those who color everything rosy. I try not to judge before the facts are in. But I do state opinions on what I think the standard for judging should be. Sometimes the "rosy" folks interpret that as being negative. From Fulmer to Kiffin to Dooley, I was one of those who thought "negative" comments hurt the program. I no longer think valid criticism hurts a program with the right tone and objectivity.

I'm no prophet. I expressed some concerns about Jones in terms of what I thought he would have to do to be successful. I was attacked for saying he had to improve attrition and injury rates among other things. I didn't say it because I wanted him to ultimately fail but because he was performing poorly at the time.

Some don't like me now for doing the same thing on JG. I don't want him to fail. I have nothing against him personally. But if he doesn't improve significantly in some areas then he hurts the team.

If it is negative to say that a guy can't continue to do things that will only lead to more losses... I'll wear it. But I have no interest in any UT coach or player failing.

I'm not alone so it wasn't personal for me. There are always going to be kneejerk negative people here. I think this is my 13th year on the board and it has always been that way. But just as bad... there are always going to be those who color everything rosy. I try not to judge before the facts are in. But I do state opinions on what I think the standard for judging should be. Sometimes the "rosy" folks interpret that as being negative. From Fulmer to Kiffin to Dooley, I was one of those who thought "negative" comments hurt the program. I no longer think valid criticism hurts a program with the right tone and objectivity.

I'm no prophet. I expressed some concerns about Jones in terms of what I thought he would have to do to be successful. I was attacked for saying he had to improve attrition and injury rates among other things. I didn't say it because I wanted him to ultimately fail but because he was performing poorly at the time.

Some don't like me now for doing the same thing on JG. I don't want him to fail. I have nothing against him personally. But if he doesn't improve significantly in some areas then he hurts the team.

If it is negative to say that a guy can't continue to do things that will only lead to more losses... I'll wear it. But I have no interest in any UT coach or player failing.
Fair enough.

I looked at the schedule and we have a shot at 8 or 9 win season if somehow we could pull a 9 and 3 and win the bowl that would mean we won 10 and the elite will won't to come instead of us begging them if this happens then it on we will compete with the bama's and Dawg's in 21 if we can close this class out with Wright and T AND 1 MORE THEN WE MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING FOR THEM IN 20.

Good God Pediterrigo, slow down, don't forget to breath and punctuate

You have no impact on either.

Thats a tricky situation for me to answer. Because imo, Pruitt is facing a very unique situation that no coach in modern UT history has had to. I mean both lines are weak, bad and very little quality depth. He wants to incorporate the 3-4. Thats hard to do in a year or two because you havent got the guys yet to effectively run that.

Slow LBs and are still trying to adjust to a 3-4.

I was not aware that our team was already proficient in the 4-3 defense before switching. That roster wouldn't have been good with Saban or Bill Belichick coaching it. Recruiting and utilizing explosive athletes (PLAYMAKERS) is what wins games.

Who is that play maker on this team? There isn't one yet.

Do you even realize that in the 4-3 defense the linebackers have to be much faster because they are covering passes most of the time. There is 1 middle linebacker... that's it. The middle linebacker has to have incredible range for the 4-3 defense to work.

I would argue at a minimum a better approach than Jones. They've recruited to position. Jones seemed more concerned with accumulating "stars" than having positional depth.

If I there's an area of pretty significant concern, it has to be DL.
Agreed for the most part. This class is great at OL, very good at DB and solid at TE. I love that Gray signed and I like Maurer. Obviously Crouch is a huge get and he certainly helps at LB, assuming that’s where he plays. But we need more than one LB as that’s a huge position of need, as is (as you said) DL. We also desperately need elite edge rushers and we’re not bringing even one of those in with this class.

So yes, I definitely like this staff’s recruiting and recruiting philosophy better than that poser Jones’. But so far, with what we’ve seen, it still ain’t nearly enough.

VN Store

Back