The rest of the year

Can't hardly blame them after Sunday. We all know they'll stumble on a few. Most projections are 4 more losses and second in the SEC. I do think they could do better than that. I'm hoping they save those once in 50 years perfect games for March.
Which site are you seeing 26-5??

Yup, same as barttorvik which is what I was going off of...so most analytics seem to think 5 more losses, yet we have posters talking about running the table or 2-3 more losses max.
Like I said, I can understand the enthusiasm. Looking at some of the losses that are predicted though, they have to be considering past history and not present performance. If you look at Sagarin the only close ones will be @ Florida and KY. By close I mean 1 point toss ups. Do I think we lose 5 more. No.
Oops. Left one off. Add Auburn.

Last edited:
At present, I only see two more losses, to Kentucky in Lexington and Auburn in Auburn. On the other hand, I'm still sticking with my original forecast of 24 & 7, although I honestly think 25 & 6 or 26 & 5 are more likely, barring unforeseen bad luck.

People thinking we'll "run the table" are WAY overly optimistic. A game or two will get away from us when they shouldn't. It happens. This is basketball, not that other sport we used to play. ;)

Like I said, I can understand the enthusiasm. Looking at some of the losses that are predicted though, they have to be considering past history and not present performance. If you look at Sagarin the only close ones will be @ Florida and KY. By close I mean 1 point toss ups. Do I think we lose 5 more. No.

It's hard to predict what teams will be hot/cold when we play them. In basketball it is completely normal to drop 1 or 2 you shouldn't. Last year we lost @UGA and @bama and both of those games we should have won.

We have a decent chance of winning each game in the rest of our schedule. But that doesn't mean we have a good chance of winning every game in the SEC schedule.

I think we could easily win games such as @AU, @UF, @UK and we can just as easily drop a couple games to teams we might overlook or just underperform against.

Reactions: walkenvol
But we also were favored against Georgia and Alabama which were games we lost last year, people seem to be forgetting that you are very unlikely to win every single game in which you’re favored...especially in conference play.

But we also were favored against Georgia and Alabama which were games we lost last year, people seem to be forgetting that you are very unlikely to win every single game in which you’re favored...especially in conference play.
This is a much different team than last year. Don't think you can look at games last year and conclude we'll lose the same ones this year. And I don't think the SEC is as strong as some are predicting. I've conceded that we'll lose to some teams we should beat, but these guys get up for the big ones. They were intimidated by kansas and it showed, still played them even in regulation. Don't think after Sunday they'll be intimidated by anyone.
I'll go a step further and say this may be the BEST TEAM TN has ever fielded in BB. We've had better players, but never the cohesiveness and, maturity and level of IQ of many players.
I'll be very surprised if we lose more than 3 more. Will I fall off the wagon if we do. Not a chance.

This is a much different team than last year. Don't think you can look at games last year and conclude we'll lose the same ones this year. And I don't think the SEC is as strong as some are predicting. I've conceded that we'll lose to some teams we should beat, but these guys get up for the big ones. They were intimidated by kansas and it showed, still played them even in regulation. Don't think after Sunday they'll be intimidated by anyone.
I'll go a step further and say this may be the BEST TEAM TN has ever fielded in BB. We've had better players, but never the cohesiveness and, maturity and level of IQ of many players.
I'll be very surprised if we lose more than 3 more. Will I fall off the wagon if we do. Not a chance.

I was just thinking the other day that while some of Bruce's later teams were really fun, they were not overburdened with smarts, basketball and otherwise. :)

I won’t be surprised either way, and I think the unbiased analytics are further evidence of that.

I see the koolaid drinkers are out in full force with some of these unrealistic predictions.

With that said, I think we lose 2 more in the regular season (1 home and 1 away with a healthy Turner) and win 9 in the post season. :cool:

Just kidding....I expect the conference to be more competitive than that.

I see the koolaid drinkers are out in full force with some of these unrealistic predictions.

With that said, I think we lose 2 more in the regular season (1 home and 1 away with a healthy Turner) and win 9 in the post season. :cool:

Just kidding....I expect the conference to be more competitive than that.
After Sunday's game all koolaid drinkers are welcome. As long as they don't turn if we lose a couple we shouldn't.

Without Lamonte Turner at full strength , we lose 4 maybe 5 games. If he comes back 100% I don't think we lose more than 2-3.
I think this is about right. Even the best teams stumble, and we'll for sure get everyone's best effort. If Auburn gets on an unconscious tear from the outside, they can pose a problem. The games we lose will be because we don't have our edge on D that night, and we get away from our "inside-out" philosophy, or just have an off night from outside. Most nights we'll win even if we have off shooting nights, but play our brand of D. I think if we take care of business, we'll pull a favorable 1 seed, and even if on border line, will get some love from committee because of Kansas and Zaga games.

Reactions: 1985Vols
I'll be able to live with a 3-4 losses as long as they aren't to Kentucky. Lordy I love beating Cal. If we take two (or three!) from them this year, I suspect there would be much unhappiness within the Kentucky fan base, and that would be a lot of fun.

Tough to win conference road games, but having said that my wife (VFL) and I have Tix for the FL game in Gainesville and hope that we see a Vols win.

Reactions: FlVols
Yes, there is something special it seems to me, about the chemistry and maturity level of this team. Not saying they will win out but I would be surprised if they lose more than 2 or 3 the rest of the way, and I think they have as good a chance as anybody to win it all this year.

VN Store

Back