The real reason we were flat

When I saw the graphic Oregon State hadn't won an NCAA tournament game since 1985, I knew Tennessee was going to lose. UT always seems to be on the wrong end of these "hasn't happened in decades" / feel good stories. Just add it to the loss to Loyola with the 98 year old nun.
It is the same problem we have had all year. If we do not hit 3 pointers, we do not win. We do not a Point Guard who get the ball into the paint. a big who can control the lane or a go to gut from anywhere who can put the team on his back and win ball games. We may have athletes but we do not have clutch basketball players. We have as many turn overs as our women do and they were very bad at that. The women at least had Davis who put the women on her shoulders and carried the team during the last half of the season. We did not have that kind of player on the men's team.

That Louisville team had 4 top 25 recuits on it. 4 guys who went to the NBA with around 4 more in the top 75, and Rick Pitino coaching it. That Purdue team had one top 70 player on it and he was the one NBA player. They had one other guy ranked around 75th and a bunch of 3 stars with Matt Painter coaching it.

That Louisville team was much better than that Purdue squad.

So watching us this year with 2 first round picks and watching UK with a team full of NBA talent has taught you nothing about what constitutes a good college team, huh?

They had almost the same resume, and if anything by what you just said Painter's coaching job was even more impressive. JFC some of you are thick. Louisivlle was "much better" only because you're saying that because you think it helps the silly ass argument you're trying to make. And it doesn't even matter because 100% factually what the guy said is 100% wrong. He said Louisville was the higher seed....they were not. He said Pearl always outperformed his seed....he did not.

I wonder is people even look at stats before posting things

13 offensive boards for Ten

10 offensive boards for Oregon State

Obviously not when people are posting easily verifiable facts like that Louisville was not a higher seed in 2008 and Pearl did not outperform his seeding every year he was here.

Reactions: BruinVol
Barnes obviously can't handle big games. A few years ago Tennessee had the most talented team they had seen in years and flopped in the sweet sixteen. I have a friend who is a Longhorn and after Barnes was hired I called to inquire about him. My friend said, "you can have him". Barnes has been given plenty of chances. Time for Barnes to find a new color
I bet your friend is really mad that Smart hasn’t won one single game in the Big Dance.

I wonder is people even look at stats before posting things

13 offensive boards for Ten

10 offensive boards for Oregon State
But how many of those 13 we put back and scored .. huh ?? If you can see that we lack size and strength inside then you are blind sir

Reactions: vol94
He tries really hard though.

Yes, he tries really hard to paint things in a way that helps his agenda. Calling that Purdue team "average" is just laughably idiotic, and apparently he is basing it on them losing in the first round of the B10 tournament; which points back to how basketball stupid a lot of this fanbase is since they put WAY too much stock in P5 conference tournaments.

But since he likes them so much maybe he'd like to review how Pearl did in the SECT here.

Reactions: VolGee4
So watching us this year with 2 first round picks and watching UK with a team full of NBA talent has taught you nothing about what constitutes a good college team, huh?

They had almost the same resume, and if anything by what you just said Painter's coaching job was even more impressive. JFC some of you are thick. Louisivlle was "much better" only because you're saying that because you think it helps the silly ass argument you're trying to make. And it doesn't even matter because 100% factually what the guy said is 100% wrong. He said Louisville was the higher seed....they were not. He said Pearl always outperformed his seed....he did not.

Pitino is a MUCH MUCH better coach than Painter who was coaching a highly talented team and he beat Pearl who is a superior coach to Barnes, especially in the post season. That Louisville team was much better than that Purdue team.

Pitino is a MUCH MUCH better coach than Painter who was coaching a highly talented team and he beat Pearl who is a superior coach to Barnes, especially in the post season. That Louisville team was much better than that Purdue team.

Repeating it over and over isn't going to make it true buttercup. I've already posted both teams' resumes and they were basically the same. That "much much better" Louisville team lost by 10 to UNC the next round, Purdue lost in OT to the eventual National Champions.

I'm sorry if facts get in the way of your narrative but they don't give a **** about your feelings.

Reactions: Nighthawkvol10
I heard no less than 4-5 interviews with Barnes last week and even in his pregame yesterday he went out of his way to complain about how miserable life was in the bubble in every single one of them.

I think that mind set filtered thru to the team and they won’t admit it but they are glad they are free to go home.

one other thing Barnes mentioned in his pregame yesterday was the big 10 teams had been there much longer and we know they had a disaster of a day.

this tourney really is about the off the court battles imo
From the posts I've read all season the problem has been the refs. Very little to do with our play.

I heard no less than 4-5 interviews with Barnes last week and even in his pregame yesterday he went out of his way to complain about how miserable life was in the bubble in every single one of them.

I think that mind set filtered thru to the team and they won’t admit it but they are glad they are free to go home.

one other thing Barnes mentioned in his pregame yesterday was the big 10 teams had been there much longer and we know they had a disaster of a day.

this tourney really is about the off the court battles imo
Remove the word flat; insert choke!

Repeating it over and over isn't going to make it true buttercup. I've already posted both teams' resumes and they were basically the same. That "much much better" Louisville team lost by 10 to UNC the next round, Purdue lost in OT to the eventual National Champions.

I'm sorry if facts get in the way of your narrative but they don't give a **** about your feelings.

Your opinion isn't "facts". That Louisville team was loaded with talent, had a Hall of Fame multiple NC winning head coach and started rolling at the end of that season. That same core of the team returned the next year and won the national championship. That UNC team was the #1 ranked team in the nation at the time of that loss to them and it won the national title too. It had 5 NBA players on it, 3 top 5 5 star recruits and 6 HS All-Americans. It's one of the most stacked/experienced/best NC teams of the last 20 years. Tyler Hansbrough led it and that was his 3rd consecutive year of being a consensus All-American. He's one of the best college basketball players of the last 20 years as well.

Your look at the "facts" is simply looking at a teams record and nothing else. I'd love to have had the team that lost to Louisville taking on that Purdue team. We had better athletes and a better coach than it did. Louisville had better athletes and a better coach than we did in that match up.

Your opinion isn't "facts". That Louisville team was loaded with talent, had a Hall of Fame multiple NC winning head coach and started rolling at the end of that season. That same core of the team returned the next year and won the national championship. That UNC team was the #1 ranked team in the nation at the time of that loss to them and it won the national title too. It had 5 NBA players on it, 3 top 5 5 star recruits and 6 HS All-Americans. It's one of the most stacked/experienced/best NC teams of the last 20 years. Tyler Hansbrough led it and that was his 3rd consecutive year of being a consensus All-American. He's one of the best college basketball players of the last 20 years as well.

Your look at the "facts" is simply looking at a teams record and nothing else. I'd love to have had the team that lost to Louisville taking on that Purdue team. We had better athletes and a better coach than it did. Louisville had better athletes and a better coach than we did in that match up.

And you calling Purdue "average" in 2019 is pure bulls**t based solely on them losing in their first game of the B10T. I guess by that measure the 2008 Vols were average too since you know....we didn't win the SECT either.

VN Store

Back