The Postgame Buzz?

MemphisVol

This game was almost the perfect opposite of the last one in Lexington. The last one, with the choke coming last, really fanned the anti-Peterson folks into a fury This one, with the choke coming first and the solid performance last has me feeling weirdly worked up to mouth off even louder in Buzz's favor than I was before...

My take was that this game made it even more obvious that the problem has more to do with the kids in ways a coach has the least control over in the short term, and that, despite that, Buzz is talented enough to do amazing things with them if they are prepared (like, say, by being horribly shamed for a half) to listen.

Before, I just had a feeling that we should give him more time- even if there was anybody remotely better out there available. Now, I'm actually 100% sure we should keep him regardless of who's available (short of a Dean Smith).

(Note: Buzz Peterson knows Dean Smith, he's played for Dean Smith, and Bobby Knight, sir, is no Dean Smith.)

There are several things the team lacked that a coach can't really coach. Hussle, toughness, and heart were lacking all year. When something started going bad in a game the Vols almost layed down several times this year and you know Buzz wasn't just sitting there watching and not trying to do anything. I think they should give him at least one more year but if they do let him go I can't really argue with the decision.

Your observations are vague and in no way "obvious". Please enlighten us.

The way I see it, among the problems with our Vols are (1) DEFENSE: sure these guys ran around hustling their butts off; however, so does a chicken with its head cut off. Even with the A+ efforst, our guys still got caught on many occasions standing still as KY players blazed by for lay-ups.

Why? Because our guys don't know what to do on defense. Think back to O'Neill's teams! Those guys, with less talent than we have now, knew exactly what to do in about every possible defensive situation. Bottom line: I don't think Buzz's defensive system (if one can call it that) pressures the ball nearly enough; and when was the last time you saw us full court press someone for more than 2 possessions in a game? Heck, we played a zone and KY was driving to the basket on a consistent basis.

If you blame those things on a lack of talent, then the second problem is Buzz's inability to recruit OR an inability to effectively evaluate talent.

Third, I see KY make smart play after smart pass, along with an awareness on the court that leads to proper boxing-out for rebounds. And then I see UT make fundamental blunder after blunder regarding passing, moving on offense, boxing-out on a consistent basis, looking befuddled on defense..........well, that is coaching folks.

I am ambivalent about Buzz coming back, because I have ZERO confidence that Hamilton --who was supposedly the basketball "expert" in the Athletic Department as an assistant under Dickey during the previous 2 bad hirings --will get a coach worth buying out Buzz thru 2008-2009. Why replace a mediocre coach with more of the same? :disappointed:

<<Hussle, toughness, and heart were lacking all year. >>

The past 3 weeks the vols have hustled their tails off.

Originally posted by TroyCG@Mar 12, 2005 11:52 AM
<<Hussle, toughness, and heart were lacking all year. >>

The past 3 weeks the vols have hustled their tails off.

Too bad the season is more than 3 weeks long.

Where was the hustle for our team last night. Their playes where beating us down the court like its was nothing. On one play there was three players down the court and none of ours, we were standing and watching. Then we can&#39;t box out. I have never ever seen so many plays in one game were we could have got the ball by an easy box out and it never happened. that is why we are 14-17.

Let me clarify my above statements. Buzz does deserve blame for a bad season but he does not deserve all the blame. The players have to take their share of the responsibilities too.

<<Where was the hustle for our team last night.>>

I actually saw Scooter rolling around on the ground for a loose ball, and most every Vol was throwing himself around the court most of the night.

I understand your point, but I see that problem as a lack of awareness on the court rather than a lack of hustle. :peace2:

Deers are fast and they "hustle" thru the fields and across roads, but when you get one in your headlights it freezes.

On defense I think UT players often freeze because it hasn&#39;t become ingrained in them on what reaction to make. :dunno:

I think that it is safe to say that our basketball team is lacking in many aspects. From the players to the coaches and so on and so on.

I have given this a huge amount of thought, and I seriously do not know what the problem is. The inconsistency just kills me with this particular team.

One of the few things I guess I would have to say is that in order to win at the level of UNC, Kansas, Duke, etc., you have to recruit more than one good player at a time, and you have to do it consistently.

Lofton is going to be awesome but almost any good team can set up a defensive scheme to stop your MAIN MAN if he isn&#39;t surrounded by others who can kill the opposition if they focus too much on your #1 guy.

I think the image of the basketball program has to be worked on if we are going to get enough interest from enough blue chippers to get-r-done. :twocents:

VN Store

Back