The Overthrows (Game Film)

Milton isn’t overthrowing, maybe his receivers are just too slow. Not being controversial and most likely this is not the case, but Joe is getting all the blame just maybe it’s not all his fault.
Then you would have to assume that was the same problem at Michigan. Also, it doesn't seem to be a problem during practice, he nails every throw in practice.

THIS JUST IN.....
UT QB JOE MILTON HAS BEEN SENT TO AFGHANISTAN TO OVER THROW THE TALIBAN........

241912443_10227152629028191_6477044291689665434_n.jpg

Milton isn’t overthrowing, maybe his receivers are just too slow. Not being controversial and most likely this is not the case, but Joe is getting all the blame just maybe it’s not all his fault.

No blue font?

It wouldn't matter if it was me running down the field. QB has to adjust to the speed.

BTW, those are the same guys he throws to in practice. I imagine they don't slow down for the games.

I get the impression that Milton has that milli-second breakdown in his brain, just before he launches the ball, that he still wants to show how hard or far he can throw it. That's either arrogance or immaturity or both. That or he's blind in one eye and has no depth perception.
If that tendency can't be coached out of him, it's futile to think he'll fix it himself.
Hmmmm Maybe your right didnt think of that send Milton to the dang Eye DR ASAP lol really he may need eye work

The overthrows can be found here:

Second drive, score 7-0 TN:
1) Across the middle for first down
2) Payton for touchdown
*Punt

Third drive:
3) Calloway inside 10 yard line
4) Merrill for touchdown
5) Tillman for touchdown
6) Payton on free offsides play
**Field goal, 10-0, Pitt goes on to score next two drives and Vols get FG off Milton scramble, making score 14-13 Pitt

Of these six throws, four should be labeled as egregious. Not bashing Milton, just thought I would share the tape for those interested in re-watching.

An analysis of the 6 passes:
  1. Ball thrown 27 yards in air. Good pocket. 2.87 seconds snap to throw.
  2. Ball thrown 50 yards in air. Good pocket. 2.95 seconds snap to throw.
  3. Ball thrown 48 yards in air. Blitzer in his face. 3.14 seconds snap to throw.
  4. Ball thrown 47 yards in air. Stepped significantly into the pocket, which was collapsing behind him. 3.49 seconds to throw.
  5. Ball thrown 35 yards in air. Good pocket. 2.50 seconds snap to throw.
  6. Ball thrown 53 yards in air. Decent pocket. 3.31 seconds snap to throw.
Bonus Coverage (pass not overthrown):
  1. Hyatt injury play. 64 yards in air. Decent pocket. 3.51 seconds snap to throw. Great pass.
Takeaways:
  1. We need a QB that can at least hit 2 or 3 of these, at a minimum. I think we have 2 that can (Hooker/Bailey).
  2. Are our other QBs strong enough to make some of these passes? I think they do, with perhaps the exception of the Hyatt play. Worth considering that it's literally nothing for Joe to flick it 50 yards, and it won't make him tired like other QBs. You might not be able to throw it deep with the other 2 as much as Heupel wants to in this offense. We have seen the WRs can get open.
  3. OL on these plays did a good enough job for the amount of time it took for the play to develop and the pass to be thrown. Bodes well for us to do this with other QBs
  4. Could Joe's issues just be with timing? Is his brain clock programmed to fire just a little too soon?
  5. Let's say we convert 2 of these. Game changers (probably OPs point). Different ballgame.
Joe Milton III literally has nowhere to go but up (ceiling is higher). His rushing ability and physical characteristics still should allow for game-breaking opportunities like long rushes, pocket escapes, etc. If he can fix the timing/ball speed, then I'd rather have him out there.

Hendon Hooker showed flashes while out there. Good rushing ability as well. The play with the cutback was sick. He is still the backup, IMO, but if this weekend works out, and he starts, I'd like to see him out there with a week of practice and preparation as the #1 guy. He was not asked to make long passes during his playing time, and I think he has the potential to step up there.

With Harrison Bailey, you lose the rushing ability. Though, it may be a worthwhile tradeoff, if he can make a few of the passes from above. I doubt he could have made the Hyatt one though.

I feel like coach Huepel and Halze will fix milton,that being said we could definently see hooker soon. IMO

The overthrows can be found here:

Second drive, score 7-0 TN:
1) Across the middle for first down
2) Payton for touchdown
*Punt

Third drive:
3) Calloway inside 10 yard line
4) Merrill for touchdown
5) Tillman for touchdown
6) Payton on free offsides play
**Field goal, 10-0, Pitt goes on to score next two drives and Vols get FG off Milton scramble, making score 14-13 Pitt

Of these six throws, four should be labeled as egregious. Not bashing Milton, just thought I would share the tape for those interested in re-watching.

I agree we have to hit some of those. Keep in mind that the best deep passers in the NFL hit between 40% and 50% of their deep balls.

I agree we have to hit some of those. Keep in mind that the best deep passers in the NFL hit between 40% and 50% of their deep balls.
Besides the 6 being discussed in this thread, and the 1 to Hyatt (which he hit from 60+)...are there any others? What's his actual hit rate? 1/7 is 14%, so he'd need 2 more to be in the 40-50% range.

Besides the 6 being discussed in this thread, and the 1 to Hyatt (which he hit from 60+)...are there any others? What's his actual hit rate? 1/7 is 14%, so he'd need 2 more to be in the 40-50% range.

Was wondering that myself and am afraid we won't like the answer. The truly egregious throw was the wide open, you and I could make that throw, he missed for a touchdown. The others will happen
and hopefully improve) as WRs and QB get more familiar with each other.

We had a kid in my hometown who shot basketballs almost 3 hours a day from the time he was 5 years old until he was 13. He couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn when he tried out for the basketball team as a Freshman. The old saying “ practice makes prefect“ is not always true.

There is a big difference in playing around and actually practicing with a coach. Shooting basketballs the wrong way for hours instead of working on things like correct posture, follow through, accuracy, muscle endurance, correct footwork, etc. isn’t going to help anyone become a better shooter.

Got a buddy that was a pro gamer for a few years before I met him. Went to tournaments all over the country, won some nice gear and a good bit of money doing it. One day we were talking about a Modern Warfare game I had been playing for months. I said something like “you would think with all the hours I play I would be pretty good at this but I’m just kinda average. What was your trick?” My friend responded “that’s because you’re playing for fun and to relax. When I was competing, every time I turned the game on I was practicing.”

More likely it's inability. Compare him to a baseball player that can throw the ball 98 MPH, but can't throw a strike to save his life. If he can't throw the deep ball better than he has shown at this stage of his career, he may never be able to do it with any consistency.
Maybe he just needs glasses like Wildthing Vaughn.

Reactions: mpfvol

VN Store

Back