The Official Wake Forest @ Tennessee Fall Ball Game Thread (Sunday 10/9 1PM EST)

You guys asked about Denton. He was not there yesterday. Has had a rough few weeks. His grandfather died a few weeks ago and then the player who transferred from Alabama to North Greeneville University, Davis Heller, was Zane's roomate at Alabama so he was with the family at the funeral yesterday. We definitely need to lift this young man up in our prayers.

You guys asked about Denton. He was not there yesterday. Has had a rough few weeks. His grandfather died a few weeks ago and then the player who transferred from Alabama to North Greeneville University, Davis Heller, was Zane's roomate at Alabama so he was with the family at the funeral yesterday. We definitely need to lift this young man up in our prayers.
Dang! Thanks for the update Preacherman, we definitely need to show him some BIG ORANGE love at the first chance we get!

Very sad, will keep him in our prayers. Thanks for the information. More information about Davis Heller below.

https://www.thestate.com/news/state/south-carolina/article266950716.html

That's absolutely tragic.

I'm guessing ours will be 1 inning for first 10 pitchers with a pitch count but unless they have a bad outing that won't matter. Then they will give some young guys 15 pitches each or one batter or something. 14 innings sounds like a lot but not for pitchers. If you throw your three starters and then Sewell, Kirby, Ethan, Zander and then the returnees that threw less than 10 innings and that does not count Joyce or any of the other new guys. I don't think Haverson is throwing full speed yet.
Fielding will be very interesting. You could see a different lineup each inning or 3 innings with one and then 3 innings with another then mix it up and add other guys in. I don't think you can count anything into the first 9 on the field being the starters for spring at this point.

Too many pitchers for the moment and not enough innings. I think like 26 pitchers and 18 innings. We'll see the balance pitch against Memphis. I'm hearing Zach Joyce will be one of them.

I’m guessing Jackson will be similar to yesterday.
Any takeaways from yesterday for those who were there?
I hear Dreiling may be most surprising player.

Reactions: vol66
I’m guessing Jackson will be similar to yesterday.
Any takeaways from yesterday for those who were there?
I hear Dreiling may be most surprising player.

No doubt C-Moo with the 2 bangers. Keeping in mind it's only a scrimmage and the first one at that. The radar gun was not on for the game so who knows what they were throwing. Dollander looked good, I liked what I saw from Dylan Dreiling...especially for a Freshman. Jacob Bimbi (LHP) looked good to me on the mound. I think we gave up 3 dingers in the first game. Blake Burke looked good at first, we know his bat works. He would have had 2 doubles in the first game but he wayyyy wayyyy over-slid 2nd. He was initially safe but he kept sliding beyond the bag. That cost us a run or 2 in the first game. I think that out ended the inning and we would have had 2nd & 3rd occupied with 2 outs. Outfield wasn't really tested but they made no bad plays, most were routine. I like the kid that came in from Cincy. The infielders looked good defensively, especially the SS/2nd base combo. Ethan Payne was at 3rd, his bats not where you would want it but he looked fine defensively. Made a few throws to first for outs. I'm looking forward to seeing what Zane Denton can do. He was a pain in our butt when at Alabammy, so hopefully he'll be that same pain to other teams. Dickey looked good behind the plate and he made contact at the plate (with exception). Had a sca fly when we needed it. There was one ump...the first one, he was making some bad calls behind the plate I thought, but that went both ways. Very hard to tell because there's new faces, new numbers, and only the scouts had a roster. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say.

No doubt C-Moo with the 2 bangers. Keeping in mind it's only a scrimmage and the first one at that. The radar gun was not on for the game so who knows what they were throwing. Dollander looked good, I liked what I saw from Dylan Dreiling...especially for a Freshman. Jacob Bimbi (LHP) looked good to me on the mound. I think we gave up 3 dingers in the first game. Blake Burke looked good at first, we know his bat works. He would have had 2 doubles in the first game but he wayyyy wayyyy over-slid 2nd. He was initially safe but he kept sliding beyond the bag. That cost us a run or 2 in the first game. I think that out ended the inning and we would have had 2nd & 3rd occupied with 2 outs. Outfield wasn't really tested but they made no bad plays, most were routine. I like the kid that came in from Cincy. The infielders looked good defensively, especially the SS/2nd base combo. Ethan Payne was at 3rd, his bats not where you would want it but he looked fine defensively. Made a few throws to first for outs. I'm looking forward to seeing what Zane Denton can do. He was a pain in our butt when at Alabammy, so hopefully he'll be that same pain to other teams. Dickey looked good behind the plate and he made contact at the plate (with exception). Had a sca fly when we needed it. There was one ump...the first one, he was making some bad calls behind the plate I thought, but that went both ways. Very hard to tell because there's new faces, new numbers, and only the scouts had a roster. I'm interested in hearing what others have to say.

Thanks for the write up!

Reactions: Volbackhomefromtx
There were roughly 8-10 MLB scouts there at any one time. Thought our defense was pretty solid across the board, especially up the middle. Still working on some infield communication as far as cuts, double cuts, etc. But that’s what fall is for. Thought we hit the ball decent as a team, but we did go through a stretch midway in game 1where WF pitchers struck out 6 in a row. Again, it’s fall and not anything to worry about. Thought most of our returning pitchers looked pretty good. Dollander was solid and stood out. Beam filled it up as well. Overall, a few more walks from returnees than would like to see….and it seemed like WF hit a couple of their home runs right after we gave up a walk (isn’t that always the case in baseball ha). I thought Dickey looked really good behind the plate. Still figuring out his footwork and honing his transfer, but he looked good at this point in the fall. Also thought several freshman pitchers looked pretty solid too. AJ Russell, Behnke, Hunley and Orr seemed to really fill up the zone.

Fall is what it is. Get reps and work on getting better. Not much will be decided based on fall scrimmages but it does show a good indication of depth and the talent level that we continue to recruit.

Oh no. I hate this for Zane and for the Heller family. Just so sad.

Reactions: greasemachine
Former Alabama Baseball Infielder Davis Heller Passes Away | Sports Illustrated Alabama Crimson Tide News, Analysis and More
Former Alabama Baseball Infielder Davis Heller Passes Away
Did Zander throw on Sunday? The 3 year old was getting very restless so we left early. If so, how did he look? How was the offseason for him? Is he feeling good coming into this season?
I know it’s a lot of questions but he really impressed me last year and I’m looking forward to seeing him this season!

Too many pitchers for the moment and not enough innings. I think like 26 pitchers and 18 innings. We'll see the balance pitch against Memphis. I'm hearing Zach Joyce will be one of them.
That was so weird seeing that kid warming up! I wish he could’ve pitched with his brother.

Did Zander throw on Sunday? The 3 year old was getting very restless so we left early. If so, how did he look? How was the offseason for him? Is he feeling good coming into this season?
I know it’s a lot of questions but he really impressed me last year and I’m looking forward to seeing him this season!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221009-165443_Twitter.jpg
    Screenshot_20221009-165443_Twitter.jpg
    437.9 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: cobbwebb0710
Hi, He did get to throw. We actually did not go. My dad did not feel great Saturday night. He did fine. I saw him warming up in a post and he looked good. Off season was good. He pitched his butt off for Gainesville Goldiggers and helped them win a championship. He always says "fine" or "good". He also is his toughest critic. I have to ask him if he is working on adding another pitch or perfecting the ones he throws now. Thank you for the kind words. If I get any info out of him, I will let you know.

Reactions: cobbwebb0710
There was a time when the public would insist on knowing why an athletic 22 year old died in his sleep. "Natural causes" wouldn't cut it.
I’m with you txbo, at least I think I am?
That’s a touchy subject in today’s world though.
I have my own idea but won’t go there out of respect for everyone else’s thoughts/beliefs.

I’m with you txbo, at least I think I am?
That’s a touchy subject in today’s world though.
I have my own idea but won’t go there out of respect for everyone else’s thoughts/beliefs.
I knew Aaron Douglas's parents in college. I remember how important it was for them to get answers. I remember being heartbroken. I just don't seee anything "touchy" or political about wanting answers. It's downright evil to ignore the cause of death of a 22 year old athlete.

VN Store

Back